Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2003, 05:19 PM   #1
Sythe
Ra

The game I heard that it was so good and so bad I really couldn't make up my mind. Does it have heavy RPG like the BG series? Should I get this game?

P.S. I've been Ironworks for a year and I never realized we had a Morrowind forum.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:24 PM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Arrow

You didn't know ?

Anyway, this is nothing like Baldurs gate, but it's defenitely a great game. Go get it.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:33 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
The reasons I think some people may have said it was 'so bad' are:

It's very big. It's can be easy to get overwhelmed by the number of quests you can get early, the sheer size of the land, and the unclear main story which you could not even do and still spend months and months playing away.

It's a very different system to the BG-type, with spells, combat, attributes and so on. If you're not prepared to learn a new system (which I think is really interesting and makes a lot of sense) you might find it annoying or frustrating.

The system requirements are quite high - some people might not want to have to buy more ram and so on to get the quality.

The first person view is not to everyone's tastes. Also, some people don't like a one person party game.

However having listed those negatives, I would recommend people buy it if they have the system requirements. I found the game's immensity one of the major selling points - I've played it through once and barely scratched the surface - the are many quests I didn't do and huge slabs of land I never explored. The graphics are great, the music excellent, and the main story is quite compelling once you get into it. You can get to high levels and find lots of cool equipment, and you can really role-play however you want. Unlike some games, which are pretty biased towards being a good character, there aren't alignments and you can do just as well being not so virtuous. The quests are not all hack'n'slash - there is thinking and puzzles involved, and you can make your character however you want. It's not just fighter/mage/thief - if you want to have a person who can wield a sword and cast spells and sneak about you can, no worries at all.

If you can buy it without the tribunal expansion though, I would. It really is a waste of money
Old 08-26-2003, 06:02 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I just started the game really out of boredom. I've had it for about 8 months but was hooked only on NWN's for ages.
I had heard some negative comments about Morrowind, especially in the CPU-taxing area. I will say it is actually really good. The graphics are beautiful. The music is excellent (Jeremy Soule is brilliant, he did IWD and NWN's.) It is a little taxing on the CPU but from what I've been told even the most booming systems have difficulty with this game.
The system is very different to D&D and after playing NWN's for so long I was a bit clueless. The combat system is very much real-time oriented and can sometimes seem monotonous. No attack rolls or saving throws are visible, although the game itself does calculate due to stats.

I would definitely give it a try though, the world itself is so magically rendered you can't help but admire.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:21 PM   #5
Sythe
Ra

Do the expansions just add new areas and quests?

P.S. Cool sig johnny I guess you are happy to get your butt off that iron throne.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:37 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

The two expansion adds new quest, new npcs, new items, new places to explore and some new storyline . in another words, they are a new game themselve.

[ 08-26-2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 07:48 PM   #7
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I don't know if I'd say Tribunal is a game in itself. Yes it adds a new story and so on (though you could argue that it's no more than an enlarged sidequest), but it's very short. If I bought a stand-alone game that was that brief, I'd be sorely disappointed.

I haven't played Bloodmoon though so I can't comment on that.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:40 AM   #8
HammerHead
Zhentarim Guard

In addition to the above, the expansions also fix the messy journal. For example are the quests separated and erased when done.

C
Old 08-27-2003, 12:46 PM   #9
GForce

What gets me hooked on to this game are the plethora of plug-ins and amount of editing one can do. I'm always tooling around with the editor. I feel like a game developer already. Thanks Bethestha. BTW yeah Jeremy Soule rules! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]