Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2003, 04:57 PM   #1
GokuZool
Lord Ao

When ever I try and install this program I get a certain error. Let me explain.

*I put the CD in.
*I double-click on the CD icon.
*I click on the SETUP file and it loads up fine.
*The welcome screen comes up fine and I click NEXT.
*I accept the license agreement and click NEXT
*Then the product registration screen comes up. I type my name and then the serial number. I click NEXT.
*The setup type window comes up and I click on TYPICAL installation.
*It then comes up with the START COPYING FILES screen. Under DESTINATION it has a blank and under SHORTCUT FOLDER it has a blank. It seems to have skipped a step. Because it didn't give a screen where I BROWSE where I want to put the files. It somehow skipps this.
*I then click INSTALL (even though there are blanks under Destination Folder and Shortcut Folder) and it comes up with an error which says:

WARNING:
...setup failed to initialize. You may not be able to uninstall this product.

*I click OK, having no idea what that means.
*The COPYING FILES screen comes up and it is just about to install when another error screen comes up saying:

An error occured during the move data process: -145
Component: Program Files
File Group: Program Files
File:

*I click OK and the SETUP quits.

The problem is that during the installation process I'm missing a screen which allows me to browse where I want to install the program to. I have included screenshots.

Can anyone help? I know it's pretty complicated but there must be way to go into one of the setup files and change it or somthing. The weird thing is that a few months ago when I installed this program for the first time it worked. The screen that I was missing came up and everything and it installed.

Thanks! [img]smile.gif[/img]

(This is a snippet from a screenshot I took. Note how under the headings there are blanks)
Old 01-03-2003, 05:22 PM   #2
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

It sounds like a badly written setup program.

1. What is the program that you are trying to install?
2. Make sure your CD-ROM is okay.
3. Reboot your PC and run the setup again.
4. If possible, select "custom setting" and see if it solves your problem.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:22 PM   #3
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Yeah instead of typical install do custom install.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 01-03-2003, 08:57 PM   #4
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

First check and uninstall the program if it is in the install/uninstall file.
next reset your computer by unpluging it from the wall and plug it back in and turn it back on, this will reset your hard Drives and then try to re-install the program that had the problem. TRY THIS, I had this problem once and this is what my 24 hr trouble line for Compact Computers said to try. as dumb and simple as this sounds it worked so give it a try. It Can't Hurt
Old 01-03-2003, 09:36 PM   #5
Animal
Gold Dragon

The installation program doesn't know where to install it, hence the error. It almost sounds like you have a corrupt registry, as MOST programs read from a registry key as to your default program file location. Just tell the program where to put it and you'll be fine. Clear as mud?
Old 01-04-2003, 03:15 AM   #6
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Whenever I go to custom install it doesn't allow me to click NEXT. I keep on clicking on it and nothing happens. Even when I try and click BACK it does the same thing.

Animal, how do I that?

TheCrimsomBlade, the unistall icon appears as a document which can't be read. You know the white backround with the windows logo on it.

The thing is that it worked before..that's why I'm so confused.

Thanks! I'll try what everyone has mentioned. If it fixes it I'll be very grateful! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-04-2003, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 01-04-2003, 07:07 PM   #7
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Anyone? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2003, 12:50 AM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by GokuZool:
Anyone? [img]smile.gif[/img]
One of these is probably the problem:

1. CD is scratched or dirty (check it)
2. Hard Drive is full
3. Hard Drive has errors on it
4. You have a virus on the PC that effects the boot table

Try these, and let me know!

[ 01-05-2003, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Ziroc ]

Old 01-05-2003, 05:05 AM   #9
GokuZool
Lord Ao

1. CD is scratched or dirty (check it)
The CD is clean with no scratches on it
2. Hard Drive is full
I still have 8GB left
3. Hard Drive has errors on it
I have checked this
4. You have a virus on the PC that effects the boot table
I scanned for a virus yesterday and nothing came up

The program I am trying to install may be corrupt because it is not the orginal copy. Let me explain.

I bought this pretty expensive program and the disc got scratched (I was really pi$$ed off with this .) I rang up the company but they didn't send me a new disc. So I downloaded it from a friends house (he had cable) and burnt it onto a CD. I know you may think this is pirating BUT I already had the program in the first place! So therefore everything was cool.

Below are some more screens of my trouble installing it. I installed this program succesfully a few months ago and it was fine (using the "downloaded" copy)

This screenshot shows what happens after I click install.

This screenshot shows what happens after I click ok after the previous screenshot. In the backround it is just about to install...

This screenshot (which I have posted before) shows the blanks where C:\Program Files..etc. should be. Because the BROWSE window doesn't come up the stay blank

[ 01-05-2003, 05:25 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 01-05-2003, 05:19 AM   #10
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Ziroc,

I have read the Rules and Regulations and I don't think what I have discussed is inapropriate [img]smile.gif[/img] If it is however I will remove the topic.

No Piracy: DO NOT post links to 'warez sites'. Do not discuss pirating games, bragging about pirating or anything else. This will get your account suspended or banned. The only possible thing you CAN discuss is the so-called 'cracks' for no CD operation. SOME Games don't work on some peoples CD-ROM's. This is because of a special copy protection called 'Safe Disc'. But that is it. Anything else is considered pirating.