Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2002, 05:32 AM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

I finally got my own computer, and it's really a good one (well.. save for the Videocard which is a Geforce 2MX ). For further details; it's an AMD Athlon 1500+, 256 MB internal memory, (as I said) Geforce 2MX video card, CD rewriter, wireless mouse & keyboard (!). I really love my machine, and both NWN and Warcraft 3 are doing well.
Problem is though that sometimes when I'm playing (doesn't matter how long) it will suddenly stop (usually within a game). I dunno the English word for it, but I guess you understand what I mean. Moreover; when I want to quit to Windows it doesn't even go there. It immediately resets the entire computer, eventually saying there was an 'Huge error' of some kind.
I really don't know what it is all about, but you can understand it's getting on my nerves. Does any of you guys know what's wrong with it? I have Windows XP installed, both Warcraft 3 and Red Alert 2 (which I don't play often, but has the same problem) are illegal copies but even NWN (which is a normal buy from the store) comes with this problem. Please help me out! [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 10-11-2002, 05:45 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
both Warcraft 3 and Red Alert 2 are illegal copies
This has nothing to do with the problem, but its still not good. I personaly draw the line before ripping off Blizard or westwood, or any of the other great companies. OTOH Microsofts application and OS arm is fair game IMHO. But this is off topic.

I tihnk your having a driver problem, probably with the geforce 2MX. Head to nvidias site and get the latest drivers. Then head to www.glsetup.org and run that, and you should be set.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:52 AM   #3
Link
Jack Burton

Are you sure I've got a driver problem? YAY! [img]smile.gif[/img] That means I can finally solve my problems! WOOHOO! I might add that I bought this computer from a guy who makes them himself. Maybe he did something wrong? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] Anyway: thanks andrewas! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Old 10-11-2002, 06:30 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Are you sure I've got a driver problem? YAY! [img]smile.gif[/img] That means I can finally solve my problems! WOOHOO! I might add that I bought this computer from a guy who makes them himself. Maybe he did something wrong? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] Anyway: thanks andrewas! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Well, not 100% sure, but then nobody ever is when it comes to computers. Its possible you have an overheat problem, but that woudnt explain why it fails to return to windows. Guys that build there own comps tend to know what their doing, but there are a few that dont. Anyway, drivers is the simplest so try that first.

BTW, IIRC the very latest drivers from nVidia are no good, but I dont know what version to use. You may have to experiment a bit, unless someone has more info than me?
Old 10-11-2002, 06:43 AM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

It's not overheating. I had that problem as well, but that was because the dude who made the computer switched all the possible gizmo's on. Now it stays relatively cool (like 60 degrees Celsius), so it's not that. But I'll do what you said as soon as I got the cable necessary for me to go online.