Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2004, 03:31 AM   #1
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I just bought the 3-DVD set. I have...passionate feelings about it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed with the effort that Greg Yaitanes and his team have put into this series. The acting, script and filmography is a huge improvement over the original Dune miniseries. I felt compelled to watch all three DVDs in one sitting, which certainly didn't apply to original series.

Alec Newman is amazing this time around! He certainly did well in the original, but this time he puts even more depth and intensity into his character. Now, whenever I think of Paul Atreides/Muad'dib/The Preacher I have Alec Newman in my head!

The special affects blew me away! They are incredible, especially for a television series! The worms were without doubt the most spectacular sci-fi creatures I've beheld, rivalled only by James Cameron's Queen Alien.

Being a rabid fan of the books, I was able to follow the plot without any trouble at all, but I think anyone who is unfamiliar with Frank Herbert's written work will find alot of the plot elements very confusing. Much of the story's content is explained in-depth in the books, yet direct explanations of events are somewhat lacking in the miniseries. This adds to the 'authenticity' of the miniseries though, it doesn't dumb itself down to pander to a wider audience, for which I am grateful.

There is so much I can say about this series! I love it! Well worth the $99NZ pricetag.
There is one burning question that I just can't get out of my mind though:
Who is sexier?

Daniela Amavia?

or

Jessica Brookes?

I dunno man. Daniela has a sorta Greek Goddess thing going on, whereas Jessica has a sort of handsome, Scandanavian beauty. Such a hard decision... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well anyways, has anyone else seen this series?
What are your thoughts?

[ 03-28-2004, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 03-28-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
Smoothie
Manshoon

ok tried to post a longer agreement before but the site was bouncing on me. so ill just say, yes it is very very good, it rules in fact.

and I choose Paul for sexiest
Old 03-28-2004, 12:08 PM   #3
Stratos
Vampire

I can't pick, can I have both?

I've only read the first book and second, so how does the later ones compare to those?
Old 03-28-2004, 02:04 PM   #4
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I have watched the mini series but haven't read any of the Dune books.

Although I don't understand most of the background plots, the mini series is still quite entertaining. It is a sad thing that Leto turned himself into some sort of human-worm mutant in the end.

However, I think the relationship between Leto and his twin sister is a little bit over exaggerated in the mini series because I could have sworn that they are more like love birds instead of just brother and sister.

Both of the chicks are good looking (as shown above), but I prefer Jessica Brookes. She has an innocent and sweet look, not to mention cute too.

[ 03-28-2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 03-28-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
Smoothie
Manshoon

They are twins that also were exposed to the spice in utero, so therefore they do have a special bond aside from just sister and brother.

I like the chick who plays Pauls wife though, the concubine native wife not the princess or duchess or whatever she is.

I liked the whole Oedipus type theme of Paul to tell you the truth. It was very well thought out.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:01 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I liked it alot. The melees are specially well done, especially the Muad'Dib/Harkonnen duel. And I think that Jessica Brooks is somewhat sexier. Must be the eyes.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:55 PM   #7
Smoothie
Manshoon

I really like her:

poor Chani

[ 03-28-2004, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Smoothie ]
Old 03-28-2004, 07:35 PM   #8
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin2000:
However, I think the relationship between Leto and his twin sister is a little bit over exaggerated in the mini series because I could have sworn that they are more like love birds instead of just brother and sister.
As Smoothie iterated, the royal twins are preborn, meaning that they were awakened to consciousness within the womb. Additionally, they are of the Kwisatz Haderach bloodline, of which their father Paul was the first fruitful 'product'. This means that they have the potential ability to see into the future, as well as to unlock the in-built memories of their ancestors. So, Leto II and Ghanima are not just brother and sister, they are every couple in their bloodline, sharing all the feelings of love and passion that their ancestors felt for each other. Hence their closer-than-normal sibling relationship, and also the discomfort that Jessica Atreides (their paternal grandmother) feels due to their full knowledge of her intimacy with Duke Leto I (their paternal grandfather).

Also, Jessica Atreides is the daughter of Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, thus HIS presence is also within the royal twins, and Alia as well. Alia succumbs to the Baron's will within her psyche, and is ultimately possessed by him.

Oh, and Smoothie, Barbora Kodetova is a minx [img]smile.gif[/img]
Also:

Julie Cox gets the whole-hearted seal of approval She has the most amazing doe-eyes, and that sophisticated English accent.... [img]graemlins/1drool.gif[/img]

[ 03-29-2004, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 03-29-2004, 03:51 AM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

Well.. the older ones are definitely more ugly than the newer ones [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:59 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

cant i choose all?

i love the series .. the dune and children of dune.

i havent watched the older movie of dune though. they said it wasnt good.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote