Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2001, 08:57 AM   #1
Gaelic
Elminster

One more warning, spoilers below! If you have not yet fought the final battle of IWD you may not want to read on...
Ok, here is how I did it. My party consistes of a Paladin, Fighter/Thief (multi), a Fighter-Cleric (dual), a Ranger, a Druid, and a Mage. I had everyone but the mage and the ranger charge the boss for melee combat, the ranger peppered him with arrows of piercing and the mage got off a couple of direct damage spells. When the goloms lumbered out, the ranger switched to a sword and joined the melee fight, and the mage cast stoneskin on himself and let the goloms beat on him. Unfortunately, stoneskin wore off before I could finish the boss so the mage got the task of walking around with the goloms following him until the other 5 could finish the task. In retrospect I may have been better served to keep my Ranger firing arrows. That way when the boss teleports I could have kept hitting him right away rather tahn walking across the room. I also just ignored the traps. Thoughts?

One more question, my next time through I am going to bring a bard. Who gets the boot to make room? I am thinking the druid right now. Any thoughts?

------------------
Gaelic
Gaelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 09:08 AM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I did similar tactics, but didn't do much with the spells since I thought the final boss in IWD had close to 100% magic resitance.

I had my stoneskin mage run around and distract the golems while I peppered the boss with Arrows of Piercing.

I did add fire resitance to the fighters before the battle, knowing (after a few reloads) that the demon would cast that fireball/teleport spell. I tried to avoid the traps as best I could, since I think one of the traps dispelled magic.

I played my first game through with a Fighter, a Ranger, a Mage, a Bard, a Druid, and a Thief. When I took this party into HOW I dropped the Bard and added a Paladin (needed another tank). Looking at your party, I'd probably drop the Ranger. Druids are great summoners.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote