Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2003, 06:44 AM   #1
Fiend
Manshoon

I've created my own party, transferred the save files and have now hit my first problem. I'm a level 10 monk with a level 12 elf swashbuckler, level 10 elf priest of helm and a level 10 or 11 half-elven sorc. HOW THE HELLL DO I KILL FIRKRAGG!!!!! ok. i cant hit him, i havent got lower magic resis, priest spell magic resis keeps failing cos he ALWAYS turns round and hits the caster, the pet mage keeps casting death spell and and the only way i can kill him is by letting firkragg do it.

I dont wont to use any npc's (apart from the ones above) so how do i kill him??
ive never had any problems before killing him(well maybe 1 or 2) but this time i can only do damage with sorcs 4 cloud kill and a wand of cloudkill that has 1 charge.

please help.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:22 AM   #2
Radek
Red Dragon

I know your problem very well. I am always playing a party of three and I am always solving the same problem.
The battle is impossible. You can survive but only as a result of pure luck. Even if you place your people around the dragon (so that only one of your guys gets hit by the fireball each time the dragon casts it), even if you max your resistance to fire (80% against magical fire) and even if each of your guys will have enough Potions of Extra Healing, you cannot win regularly.
Therefore, only pieces of cheese pass.

At any rate, get rid of the lackey first. Pretend to leave the dragon and service the lackey upstairs. Return and go cheezy.
1. You can recharge your Wand of Cloudkills and use it on the dragon. Sell the wand and buy it back. It will contain, IIRC, 30 charges. Use the "Cloudkill" method.
2. You can use the "Feeblemind Method". This piece of cheese is based on dragon's not reacting on casting Feebleminds on it. Memorize as much of Feebleminds as possible, save the game, and let the sorc cast one Feeblemind after another on the dragon until success. Once the sorc succeeds, you can approach the dragon and hack it down. Reload if the sorc fails. That's what I am doing all the time
3. You can use the "Fake Talk" method. This piece of cheese is based on the fact that every turn lasts 6 seconds of real time. Go to the dragon, pause the game, command the first guy to talk with the dragon, command the rest of your party to attack, and then command the "talking guy" to attack as well. Unpause. Let your party attack for no more than 5 seconds. Pause. Repeat until the dragon falls. (The trick consists in dragon's waiting for the pretended interview for one turn and ignoring the attack during the turn. When you will pretend the talk again before the turn elapses, the dragon will wait again - and again...)

You will solve the same problems with another dragons, too. Good luck
Old 02-12-2003, 08:56 AM   #3
Fiend
Manshoon

THX Radek, hopefully my cleric will be wearing dragon hide tonight [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2003, 09:07 AM   #4
Algurgazan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

or if you want to be REALLY cheesy, use the cloudkill tactic.. to use this i understand that you first need to obtain a full wand of cloudkill. my way of doing this is selling a wand to a shop where you can steal, and steal it back. then go back to firkraag, but when in his room, stand so that he is just out of view. than cast a couple of cloudkills near him. he will die because he isn't resistant to it.

very cheesy, but it works.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:10 AM   #5
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

I regularly TROUNCE Big Red with a level 9 to 11 party. It's one of the first things I do on my list.

I see you have a Sorcerer. Do you have Spook and Skull Trap? Use Spook on the dragon to keep him running from you at all times. If he is running, he aint attacking. Make sure your whole party can use missle weapons. Slings, bows, and crossbows. Especially crossbows. Bolts of Biting work rather well here. So do Arrows of Ice. Since your party is at range, or, at least it should be, lack of missle weapon use is just piss poor planning, use Skull Traps when possible. And BTW, Arrows of Dispelling will get rid of his combat protections.

Keep monsters summoned. With the Wand of Monster Summoning if you can. Hobgoblins are good. If Big Red is pulping monsters, he aint pulping you.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:16 AM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

I suppose you COULD wait until your Monk get´s the Quivering Palm and kill Big F that way. Just reload if it doesn´t work.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:29 AM   #7
Fiend
Manshoon

my sorc does have cloudkill, and i think spook(lvl 1 or 2 spell?)the prob with my sorc is he dosent have ANY summoning spells what-so-ever. although i could use my clerics ?raise dead? for my summons.

also i dont seem to be doing any damage with any range or melee weps, i have had Firkraag down to badly injured and the mage dead (monk cloudkill behind mage, cleric slings bullets at mage, Thief casts lightning with celestial fury +3 on mage, and sorc casts 2 magic missiles in scoll of minor sequencer at mage then 4 cloudkills just infront of Firkraag)

[ 02-12-2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Fiend ]
Old 02-12-2003, 10:26 AM   #8
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Whats all the fuss about killing firkraag...? okay he is powerfull... but not impossible.... how ever with your party it could be hard... the Cloudkill tactics will not help you if you have the Baldurash fixpack installed...becaus that fixes the AI of dumb enemies (like standing in a Cloudkill without doing a thing)...

There are many cheesy tactics when fighting Firkraag... use spell like horror..if your lucky.... he's a little frighten dragon that will run and hide from you... otherwise use the level 1 spell spook.

[add] this is probale a worthless post for you because most of the times I take Firkraag down with a level 13-15 party or solo char. level 20 or so... okay ive beaten him regarly with a low level party in my early years of BG II but without the cheese tactics... just man vs dragon tactics

[ 02-12-2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Annatar ]
Old 02-12-2003, 10:57 AM   #9
Masklinn

Summon creatures. (If you have ToB, go to the first level of the Watcher's Keep and get the Summoning Golem Book, really useful - go to the crypt and get the spider figurine - get a wand etc..)

Buff your party and the creatures. (haste and AC at least)

Set traps around him whil his circle is still blue.

Make space between your party members so, as stated above, only one at time gets hit by aera effect stuff.

Engage him with summoned creatures only. His circle turns red, he takes some damage from traps.

Makes your char start firing projectiles at him (arrows+2, arrows of ice, bullets+2 etc...)

(You can engage with one char who has the sword of dragon slaying that you should find in the same dungeon, but at least 1 round after you sent the summoned creatures)

Cast greater malison on him. Breach. Then some magic missiles/skull traps/cone of ice (? - don't know the name in english [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

And when your last summoned creature dies, cross your fingers, drink potions, and with some improvisation, imagination and a tiny bit of luck, you should kill him [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:46 PM   #10
Annatar
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
Summon creatures. (If you have ToB, go to the first level of the Watcher's Keep and get the Summoning Golem Book, really useful - go to the crypt and get the spider figurine - get a wand etc..)

Buff your party and the creatures. (haste and AC at least)

Set traps around him whil his circle is still blue.

Make space between your party members so, as stated above, only one at time gets hit by aera effect stuff.

Engage him with summoned creatures only. His circle turns red, he takes some damage from traps.

Makes your char start firing projectiles at him (arrows+2, arrows of ice, bullets+2 etc...)

(You can engage with one char who has the sword of dragon slaying that you should find in the same dungeon, but at least 1 round after you sent the summoned creatures)

Cast greater malison on him. Breach. Then some magic missiles/skull traps/cone of ice (? - don't know the name in english [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

And when your last summoned creature dies, cross your fingers, drink potions, and with some improvisation, imagination and a tiny bit of luck, you should kill him [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck.
I repeat if he has the Baldurash fixpack installed the Trap cheese cannot be applied because Firkraag will turn hostile after the first trap that is installed next to him...

And is everybody forgot about the magic resistance spell.... thats THE CHEESE tactic vs Firkraag (didn't saw it yet so.. I think )

Cast magic resistance (you will probaly have it.. it is a level 5 priest spell, your priest is level 10 so he should have 2 open spell slots in level 5)

Firkraags magic resistance is somewhere about 80% - 90%, when casted with a low level priest (level 10 in this case)... this will lower firkraags his magic resistance to a poor 20 % magic resistance.... FIRE AWAY with those magic missle's that WILL hurt him this time...

have fun beating the hell out of that ancient redhead