Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2004, 10:02 PM   #1
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

hi,

just a couple of questions for the BG veterans.

firstly, does putting points into "single weapon" and "weapon and shield" styles work together? does the character gain the benefits from both these while holding a sword and shield?

also, do the benefits of putting points in "two-handed weapons" style apply for bows and crossbows?

thanks for any assistance
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:08 PM   #2
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Firstly, no they don't.

Secondly, I don't know
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 02:19 AM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Single Weapon Style applies only to one-handed melee weapons.

Sword & Shield Style applies to any weapon + shield combination, including ranged weapons like Slings and Darts.

Two-Handed Weapon applies only to melee weapons.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:41 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

To clarify on the first question and dispel any misunderstandings.

Your character must be wielding an one-handed melee weapon, and ONLY an one handed melee weapon to reap the benefits of Single Weapon Style.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:50 AM   #5
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

I myself see this skill as hugley pointless, who's going to take nothing instead of a shield. There are, however, a few situations i can see that it would help in.

1.A character like a mage, who can't use shields, but wants to use a sling or darts ETC.

2.Someone who is always switching from sword to bow, and can't equip a bow in a quickslot becuase 'off-hand is in use' by holding a shield. Instead of being able to switch efficiantly(sp?) he has to go into the iventory screen, and unequip his shield, just to use his bow. Where as if he is skilled in NOT using a shield, he can switch between bow and sword MUCH easyer.

These are the only 2 situations i can see this skill being usefull.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:07 AM   #6
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Thieves, and some people think Kensai can use the added defense.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:45 PM   #7
Magness
Quintesson

Like Klorox mentions, thieves can get some benefit from Single Weapon style, since they are only limited to bucklers.

Swashbucklers will often tend to be dual wielders. But other thieves may tend toward single weapon users.

It is kind of a shame that there's not a Bow/Xbow style proficiency to take. Perhaps it would be similar to either the Single Weapon or Sw & Sh style in that it could give defensive benefits and/or perhaps improved speed or criticals.

This would be particularly nice for classes & kits who cannot get more than 1 or 2 prof points in bow or xbow.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:10 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

TheGodThatFailed, Slings and Darts are ranged weapons, and therefore do not get the Single Weapon Style bonuses. Besides, pure Wizards can't learn any weapon styles at all.

As far as I can tell, the only real advantage of Single Weapon Style is the increased chance of a Critical Hit, which means it's very important for Thieves (Swashbucklers excepted). Kensai, on the other hand, are MUCH better off Dual-wielding.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:44 PM   #9
TheGodThatFailed
Drizzt Do'Urden

Ahah, didn't think about the ranged thing. I also have never looked for styles with a mage, so i wouldn't know I can see your points, but still, i doubt i'll ever take single wepon.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:22 PM   #10
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

thanks for all of your replies.

i think that single weapon style is designed for theives and bow switchers. Kensais are still good with single weapon style. It can get awefully boring when you see EVERY body making EVERY warrior character a dual wielder...

but yes i agree with you six of spades, Kensais have too many advantages that you are missing out by not using them on 2 weapons instead of just the one.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote