Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2001, 04:56 PM   #1
SilLumTao
Welcomed New User

First off, kudos to the UAF team.

I recently rediscovered FRUA and have been playing some of The Realm adventures by Ray Dyer. He did a great job of capturing the early TSR modules that I remember from my youth. Actually, I stopped playing BG2 in favor of FRUA. I really don't like the Infinity Engine combat system. I prefer turn based combat because it makes me feel like I?m more a part of the action as opposed to an outside observer.

Anyway, now to my real question: Is anyone considering updating UAF to support 3e/d20 rules? I've started playing 3e and once I got used to it, I think it is a much better system (particularly in regards to 2e which was such a kludge). Since the d20 system is fairly flexible, I think it would be a good candidate for an adventure builder like UAF.

Just my 2 cp.

Sil
SilLumTao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 09:30 PM   #2
Sir Jerome De Rouen
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have a feeling there would be copyright problems if Richard included Character Creation or Level Advancement in the code.

Wizards have a Limited release for what you can do with unlicenced third party products. It is fair enough, afterall they want to protect their intellectual property.

I agree though. It would be a great combination!

------------------
The Cauldron - http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jeremy77/index.html
Sir Jerome De Rouen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 08:17 AM   #3
CocoaSpud
Zhentarim Guard

Our plan is to try and make the rules configurable, along with races/classes. That way you (or someone else) could create the files that would enable 1-3 edition rules in DC.

Sometime after Wizards took over TSR, they posted the rules concerning usage of their material and one of the paragraphs gave permission to use their AD&D rules in free software. Of course, art and other copyrighted materials were still off limits. That gave me some relief with DC being online. I haven't checked back for alterations to this permission lately.

I don't visit the Wizards site much, but I have heard about some sort of Open Source thing they have going with the 3rd Ed rules or maybe with D20 system. I haven't looked into that and I'm not really up to date on their current stance for using AD&D rules in free software.

------------------
CocoaSpud
Dungeon Craft Development Team
http://uaf.sourceforge.net
CocoaSpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 05:26 PM   #4
SilLumTao
Welcomed New User

I like the idea of an open combat system, but I realize that the more flexible the system is, the harder it can be to code.

Since 3E, WotC has been pusing the d20 idea. Basically the idea is that the core rules are general enough to be used in all types of games from Star Wars to Call of Cthulu. A lot of other game publishers are licensing d20 and converting their systems over. IMHO, this may not be the greatest thing for the gaming community, but d20 does seem to work fine for D&D (I've played d20 Star Wars and I didn't think it was quite right).

Anyway, off the WotC site you can find info on d20. I'd also check out the Open Gaming Foundation which has most of the OGF rules posted in RTF (looks like a vanilla Players Handbook/DMs Guide, etc.).

As far as I can tell, you are free to use the OGF licensed rules in your game (you just can't use WotC trademarks).

Sil
SilLumTao is offline   Reply With Quote