Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2001, 08:24 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

This happened in Dragon's Eye Level 2, near the area where the priests of Talon are found. I paused my party just before the narrow passageway that leads to the temple area and sent out my thief hidden in shadows to scout out the area. He spotted a troll and engaged it in order to lure it back to where the rest of my party was waiting.

Well, not only did the troll follow, but so did the priests and about 4 or 5 more trolls. The first monster appeared, followed immediately by about 4 priests, so I had my mage cast a fireball that did good damage - all monsters were at least "hurt". Then she followed up by web, after which I sent in my paladin and fighter (each with a ring of free action)to massacre 'em while they were hopelessly held immobile by the web.

I like Web!! Looks like it's going to be a spell my mage will be memorising often!

[This message has been edited by Hayashi (edited 10-30-2001).]
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 11:20 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Cool spell, huh? Yep, it's very useful...just remember, though, "Oh what a tangled web we weave, especially when we wander in without Free Action!"

Fireball, I would have to admit, was the single most effective spell I used during the game on most monsters.

Cheers,

------------------

Patience, my BUTT...I'm going to KILL something!!!
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2001, 11:48 PM   #3
Brett
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hehe if you think that is effective try web then cloud kill. It is very nice!!
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 11:11 AM   #4
Red Dragon Slayer
Dungeon Master

cloudkill rules...but is it my imagination or do high level monsters turn back when they see it before them? (low level monsters walk right in it tho)
Red Dragon Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 02:24 PM   #5
shawnme
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I like grees it works good to use grese then web than cloud kill on a big grupe then use range weapons like a bow. works great.

------------------
shawn harden
shawnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 07:52 PM   #6
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

How do you find the time, Shawnme? In a major encounter, fireball is the unpleasantness of choice, but against spell casters, nothing says "leave it!", like a good old magic missile. Seriously though, I think of complicated strategies involving moving my forces in behind a layer of potions/enchantments and then "hosing" down the area with various spells, but thinks normally kick off too quickly, and then it's all down to sword-work (and the like).

------------------
Making running away an art form
Lord Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2001, 08:21 PM   #7
Demarco
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Fireball is the only way to fly...
Demarco is offline   Reply With Quote