Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2001, 04:33 PM   #1
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi!

A few of you may have noticed our discussion regarding high level characters in kung fu and 2nd strike that do kicks.

As I mentioned in my post, both my level 22 Assassin and level 21 Zenmasters (5 of them!) have not done a single kick. All have level 14 Kung Fu and 2nd Strike.

I WANT TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS! There has got to be some reason why this works, but I'm really confused why my characters are not kicking. I have only seen enemies use them on me, but not the inverse.

Please dont ask me the obvious tankhead questions. Yes, they fight bare handed. I've tried them with only partial armor, stark naked (yeeee!), and in robes. Maybe they need to wear the Kung Fu/Ninja/Assassin gear?

So, I have posted to the WW Technical and Game Forums on the main site. I'm hoping DWB and the programmers may shed some light on this.

Anyone here with good information, cough it up! Yes, I'm impatient, but I'm determined to get to the bottom of this!

Boot to the head!

Scronan
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 05:02 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Scronan, you may be on to something. Both my Ninja and Assassin are wearing their respective appropriate gear. Both of them are kick-striking on their second strike for about 45-60 points each (they both have Backstab and Cloak of Night and I cloak them on the first thing that comes along after leaving town). It may be the gear thing. However, I had the gear before Brimloch Roon and they weren't doing it then, and...

how in HADES did you get your characters' skill levels up to 14??!!!

Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 06:12 PM   #3
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Sazerac,

When a Zenmaster gets to level 14, they can learn the Enlightenment trait, but its 50,000 gold, so save those kopins!

It makes all your skills go up by two levels, if you have twelve when you get it, you will go up to 14!

I'm not sure about the martial arts uniforms, but thats a good idea I will research when I'm home (at work now). I do remember a player posting here months ago, but he said when he got to a certain level of kung fu, it started happening.

Do you think your experience is from the characters level? I dont see why going to Brimloch Roon would do this...but who knows...

But you know..I remember my assassin's having full gear on.....I wonder...

Scronan
Old 01-11-2001, 08:09 PM   #4
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Aha, now I see! I'll definitely have to try that out, then, with the Enlightenment trait.

Just to show that it is possible, I'm including here a screenshot of one of my character's hits on Kung Fu. (He wasn't cloaked at the time which I didn't realize, so the hits aren't as good as they usually are; usually it's around 40-60.)

Sazerac

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 09:58 PM   #5
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi,

Alas, more info about this kicking business. Here is what I did:

1. I started a new game with just my Gnome Zenmaster and my vampire elf, but using the assassins dagger (gosh I've got lots of mileage out of that thing!), I turned the elf into a level 1 assassin. Then, the two ladies of terror wiped out Oakenmir, putting them both to level 35 or so. I dressed up the elf in full assassin gear, tried with her rings and other stuff, or with NOTHING else. Her hit was 39, which is pretty high...but I went on a fisticuffs rampage, I saw no kick of any kind..sadly. I'm about to give up!

2. BTW - Just for a side note, Zenmaster (and probably most characters with A or better HP) get SERIOUS hp bonuses at higher levels. My Gnome Zenmaster got 41 HP in one level, mind you lots of 1's (dont get me started on how this works, there will be info on Slip's site soon enough), and then a few more 20 and 30 hp bonuses. She had close to 300 at level 34, without any HP cheats of any kind. Not too shabby! The elf assassin had about 240.

Sazerac, thanks for the picture, I believe you...I'm just not sure what the hell I'm doing wrong. Hopefully, someone can shed some light on this, my next step will be to start a Monk from stratch and see what happens. GRRRRRRRRRR!

Also, that lizard dude outside of Valeia...he does "Tiger Punch" and "Crane Kicks"...why can't our characters do that? Ok...lack of detail....I'll shut up before I get on the soap box again...

Scronan

Whose butt has been kicked...
Old 01-12-2001, 12:19 AM   #6
Lily the Ranger

will take dingal out for test drive
Old 01-12-2001, 12:31 AM   #7
Gefallen

I am not sure if it is equipment related.

I have a monk in dragon plate and full other plate peices that:

swings for X damage, and kicks for X. I only see the second strike come and go though. Sometimes it seems always there sometimes not, like it wants to towk in some areas but not others.

Gefallen
Old 01-12-2001, 04:07 AM   #8
carg
The Magister

I know being over your weight limit prevents second attacks for monks.
What about race? I never saw my pixie kick (though she was overloaded most of the time), but my ratling did all the time once I found out about the weight.
Do attributes matter? I can imagine high dexterity or agility help.
And more farfetched: gender?
I never used Assassin or Ninja garb, so that is not needed.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 09:57 AM   #9
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi,

My characters are the following:

Whiska Male - Zenmaster Level 21, Assassin 22, Samurai 18, etc etc
Pixie Male - Zenmaster 21
Femal Gnome - Zenmaster 21 been everything
Female Elf - Zenmaster 21 - same
Human Male - Zenmaster 21 - same
Female Dwarf - Valkyrie level 21

Note, all of my characters have level 12 kung fu and second strike, aren't weighed down, have crazy stats, almost every trait, and have been many, many classes. For example, the Elf went Rogue, Samurai, Ninja, Assassin, Warlock, Paladin, Ranger, Zenmaster.

So, I don't know what's up.....they mostly have 22-24 in all stats...super powered freaks.

Hey now, would anyone be willing to send me a save file so I can check this out and try and figure it out? I'm about to give up but I would like to get to the bottom of this mystery....

Scronan
Old 01-12-2001, 10:17 AM   #10
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Scronan,
Sorry I have no info on the kicking thing (my guys were swords and spells freaks), but from the info you gave in the thread, I went back to my final characers to try for the Enlightenment trait. I puchased Chi-master at the Dojo at around level 11 Zenmaster, and my final character was level 12. I nipped back to the Inn, and ditched everyone but the zendude and the valk. Took these two over to the Isle of sands to level up (quick with two in the party, an encounter with 3 sandcrawlers is worth around 95,000 XP. Anyway, got to level 14, nipped back to Dojo - nothing . Tried temple with both - more nothing. Went back and raised to level 15 and still nothing on offer at the Dojo or temple. So what else could be triggering it. Would I perhaps need to know every spell in existence? Perhaps killing the tree has a nasty side effect that we never imagined? Can anyne out there please provide me some "ENLIGHTENMENT".
Davros is offline   Reply With Quote