Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2002, 09:04 PM   #1
Recluse
Dungeon Master

I already have (and beaten) Morrowind, Never Winter Nights, BG2 and ToB... And even though Morrowind is still fun to play here and there im getting bored of it.. Can you guys reccommend some good RPGs for me? Old or new, it doesnt matter they just gotta be good..

thx in advance..
Old 09-03-2002, 09:09 PM   #2
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

You didn't mention BGI or IWD, two really fine ones. But the one that I would recommend most would be Planescape: Torment, a really fine game that some think the best of all time. (Not me, though. I'm a BGII man.)
Old 09-03-2002, 09:14 PM   #3
Recluse
Dungeon Master

Ya, i was thinking about getting BG1 but i wasn't sure because i probably ruined it by playing BG2 and ToB. Think any of the story would lose it's "specialness" (for lack of a better word, lol) if i went through BG1 now?
Old 09-03-2002, 09:20 PM   #4
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

Well, BG1, when I first played it, was really, (what's that word I'm looking for...) uhh, innocent. Yeah. You kill a gibberling and you feel really special. Silke and her minions are one of the toughest fights in her area. If you kill an ogre, it's a real great accomplishment, and the plot is real cool. However, in BG1 and ToB, you get so enormously powerful that NOTHING can challenge you, a gibberling is as harmless as a newborn kitten, and fighting an ogre takes about 1/2 second before it becomes just a whole bunch of chinky bits on the ground. So yes, I think playing BG2 and ToB has ruined BG1 for you. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

[ 09-03-2002, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Willard ]
Old 09-03-2002, 09:43 PM   #5
Deathbringer

Quote:
Originally posted by Recluse:
I already have (and beaten) Morrowind, Never Winter Nights, BG2 and ToB... And even though Morrowind is still fun to play here and there im getting bored of it.. Can you guys reccommend some good RPGs for me? Old or new, it doesnt matter they just gotta be good..

thx in advance..
I'm actually working on my own 'Goldbox' style CRPG at the moment. So maybe If i finish within the next month I'll pm you

Old 09-03-2002, 09:50 PM   #6
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Well, I've played BGI since I finished TOB (Stands for Tons of BS [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and, yes, BgI seems rather "flat". But, then, I played BGI through three times before I got BGII, so I'm very familiar with the game. It will help you understand BGII better, though.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:52 PM   #7
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'd have to say Planescape. Awesome game, although I havent finished it. Also IWD2 is out, I just got it and it looks good so far!
Old 09-03-2002, 10:11 PM   #8
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

I have to second the planescape vote. Also there is a game that has been out for a while called "GOTHIC" that is the bomb!! It is put out by a german company and dont let the title fool you, there are no vampires or Marylin Manson references in it. Its got great graphics and a better storyline.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:32 PM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

To be perfectly honost, I'm enjoying my second trip through BG1.I took my character from my first trip into BG2 and made him a Wizard Slayer. He is currently 20th level and kills most enemies without breaking a sweat.

On the other hand, I got killed by a wolf in my VERY FIRST encounter when going through BG1 again. Sure, the monsters are weaker...that's because YOU'RE weaker. Your toughest decision is no longer "Gee, which weapon will I kill THIS monster with". Instead it's "HOLY CRAP!!! How are gonna beat THAT!!!"

I'm still looking forward to running up against those Red Wizards.....that was one tough fight, especially for a 3rd to 4th level character.

I'm also playing IWD for the very first time. So far, I like it a lot too.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:39 PM   #10
the sauceman
Zhentarim Guard

Planescape was my first foray into D&D RPGs, and it was totally engrossing.
so then i had to get BG 1 & 2 and those where amazing as well.(though i havent finished BG 2 yet.)

I would try out IWD 2, because it seems pretty cool.