Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2002, 07:04 AM   #1
Shadow101
Dungeon Master

what is the best type of sword to use? I'm using 2 sword style with katanas but I dont think there the best. Is there any good long/short/bastard swords later on and what would be the best 1?
Shadow101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:39 AM   #2
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I also like dual-weilding katanas [img]smile.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:58 AM   #3
andrewas
Harper

First up get rid of the second thread.

Next up there are many many great long-swords, slightly fewer great bastard swords and two handed swords.

I hear there are great katanas as well.
Old 05-21-2002, 08:25 AM   #4
Helspanth
Quintesson

If you have ToB then in the first level of watchers keep there is the best bastard sword IMHO foebane which can the be upgraded by caspenar.
For long swords there is Namara+2,adjatha the drinker+2 and the Equalizer.
Short swords: For dual wielding thera is a short sword of quickness that allows an extra attack per round.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:37 PM   #5
Kerneth
The Magister

Couple good longswords in ToB, I wasn't as impressed with them in SoA though. Upgraded Foebane + Upgraded Purifier (bastard swords) are pretty fun on a dual wielding paladin.
Kerneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2002, 12:46 PM   #6
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Dual Wielding Katanas is usually what most gamers go with. But its up your tastes and preferences. i'd like to mention that Blackrazor, Gram the Sword of Grief and Angurvadal are good swords too.
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 07:22 AM   #7
Melle
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewas:
Next up there are many many great long-swords, slightly fewer great bastard swords and two handed swords.

I hear there are great katanas as well.
But you don't need "many many" swords, you just need two. I tried dual-wielding bastard swords with a fighter/thief. Don't. You can't backstab with a bastard sword in your main hand.
Old 05-28-2002, 02:23 PM   #8
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Well, my favorites if you are dual wielding are Angurvadal (long sword +5) and Hindo's Doom (katana +4). If you are using 2HS then my vote goes for Holy Avenger +6 for Paladins and Thieves once they have gained (use any item), or Gramm the Sword of Grief +5 for other kits. Psions Blade +5 comes in very handy against Illithids (mind flayers).
The.Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 02:25 PM   #9
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by The.Relic:
Psions Blade +5 comes in very handy against Illithids (mind flayers).
Yeah, I gave that to Sarevok and he solo'd the whole Illithid camp in Watchers Keep. Sarevok is scary with an upgraded Gram as well.
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:11 AM   #10
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I guess it really depends on your style of play, and your preference. I dont think there is 'a best sword'; they all have their strenghs and weaknesses, besides, you can always pick out your own favourites and distribute them around the party. I find that the talking sword Licator or whatever is pretty amusing when given to minsc, it suites him down to the ground, well hes crazy anyway, so seeing him with a talking sword isnt really gonna harm him very much is it?
I personally like the longswords, 2 handed swords are great to, but u have to sarifice ac class, where you could have a sheild or another 'ac saving sword' like drizzits simiters, the +5 ones, ya know?
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote