Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2003, 08:35 AM   #1
MagiK

I think the boy has class! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

28 MAY 2003
Man of the moment Keanu Reeves has shown his generosity by giving away £50 million of his earnings from the Matrix sequels. The 38-year-old decided to hand over the money to the unsung heroes of the sci-fi blockbusters - the costume and special effects teams.

Keanu is expected to make a total of £70 million from the films, thanks to a deal which guarantees him a 15 per cent profit-share, so he will still net around £20 million. Asked about his prodigious act of generosity, the actor said he already had enough cash. "Money is the last thing I think about. I could live on what I have already made for the next few centuries," he declared.

And it's not the first time the Beirut-born star has shown his jaw-dropping benevolence. While shooting the films in Australia he amazed the team of stuntmen by giving them each a £6,000 Harley Davidson motorcycle. And the actor, whose sister has leukaemia, has also channelled millions into cancer research.

His gift to the Matrix series' 29 behind-the-scenes whiz-kids will see each of them receiving £1.75 million.

Old 06-03-2003, 08:38 AM   #2
harleyquinn
Symbol of Cyric

Dang, I'm in the wrong job. Need to be effects guy on Reeves film. If not that, gotta be a lawyer in TL's firm. Sitting around with feet on desk all day and collecting all that money, not bad
Old 06-03-2003, 12:10 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

If only there were more celebs like him [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Rather then wasting money on all kind of decadent junk, mr Reeves spends his millions on cancer research. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2003, 12:16 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I had somebody tell me that he was only doing it for publicity...but so what! It certainly has not hurt anyone in the process, and if it makes him famous enough to make more money (ie. everybody will wanna hire him in the future), then that will make him more money to be able to do good stuff with again. I agree with the statement above that we would like to see this attitude rub off on some of the other so-called stars. Mr. Reeves is the real star.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:37 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

No one nowhere ever gave away $50 Mil JUST for publicity (well, except the Gov-mint) -- the real value returns simply will never overcome the investment.

I am impressed, and did not know this. He's also pretty bright, very reclusive, and very shy in interviews I've read.

What's really great is the 26 or so millionaires he just created will be starting their own special effects shops I suspect. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] And hiring workers, etc. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I think they are likely to do more, or attempt to do more, with the money that Keanu would have. More creativity for us all to enjoy.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:09 PM   #6
MagiK

Keanu Reeves needs to drop 50mil on publicity?? with two of the highest grossing movies ever staring him?? I don't think so...not may people in the western world have not heard his name.

I think this was done out of sheer goodness of spirit...as he said..he has more money than he could spend int he coming century already...so he did just as TL said...he vastly improved the lives of many people around him...people who had direct impact on his own success too....you might say he is giving back to those who helped him get ahead.

Old 06-03-2003, 02:11 PM   #7
MagiK

I hereby pledge that when my net worth reaches the double digit millions, that I will start doing the same kinds of things Keanu has done [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
FelixJaeger
Symbol of Cyric

He really is a genuinely nice guy isn't he.
And whatever anyone does...if your famous it's still about the publicity.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #9
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I have a lot of respect for Keanu. He's been through so much heartache in the last few years, and he seems to have a genuine good spirit and hasn't been taken in with all the trappings of fame. And handsome!
Old 06-03-2003, 04:40 PM   #10
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

that does seem to be the prevalent idea nowadays, personaly the cynic in me says he's doing it so people will say awwe, what a nice guy, but then the romantic in me kicks the cynics @$$ for being stone-blind and moronic