Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2003, 07:13 AM   #1
beak316
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Just curious what items other players usually buy at the Adventurers Mart and Trademeet (or any othr store for that matter)?
beak316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:37 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Ah... short of people posting the who's who of the top sellers (which number in the dozens), maybe you might want to be more specific in your question. To summarise the issue, too many good items to mention.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:39 AM   #3
ryaldin
Elminster

Well that depends entirely upon wether or not you have the bonus merchants installed. Some of the items are considered to be of a high level of cheese, such as the sheild of Balduran, which completely eliminates the need for tactics when fighting beholders.

I for one always pick up the scroll cases and the gem bags, as well as the girdle of hill giant strength, and the Bracers AC 3, which are handy for your average armor-less mage.

There's also a nice throwing axe that is available after completing the slaver quests...but I can't remember what it's name is...somebody with a better memory?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:08 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Azuredge+3
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 09:08 AM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

.... the fact that Dundee knows this, doesn't mean he has an extraordinary memory, mind you [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 11:50 AM   #6
Klutz
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by beak316:
Just curious what items other players usually buy at the Adventurers Mart and Trademeet (or any othr store for that matter)?
You probably want to specify what characters you have in your party, and the race/class/alignment/proficiencies of your PC to get a good answer. It also varies depending on who you want to equip, what you've already found/bought, what combat strategies you prefer, and a little depending on how much cash you have to spend (or how cheesy/unscrupulous you are with regards to getting cash).

For example, the Bracers AC3 from Ribald are great to buy, but only really useful for a Mage or Bard. Azuredge, which was also already mentioned, is only handy if you have someone good-aligned who is proficient in axes.

[ 10-30-2003, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Klutz ]
Old 10-30-2003, 03:17 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I could post a list of the "best" items for sale in Amn, but that would only contribute to your buying just those items, thus making you more like every other cookie-cutter party that's ever played the game. Just read the descriptions on the items and make your own decisions.

One thing I will tell you, though, is to NOT buy Jerrod's Mace. The thing says it grants a +5 THAC0 bonus against Demons, but the damn thing only strikes as a +2 weapon, which means that it can't even *hit* most Demons--a fact which is neatly not mentioned in the item's Description. On a similar note, the Defender of Easthaven is actually a +3 enchanted weapon, not +2.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:11 PM   #8
Faceman
Hathor

Especially the bonus merchants have some nice cheesy items.
What bothers me the most is the Sling of Everard +5. It's the most powerful sling in the whole game (up to ToB when it is overtaken by a forged item) and it's simply available for purchase right at the beginning. As you don't use slings that often it makes the finding of any other sling utterly pointless.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:13 PM   #9
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
Especially the bonus merchants have some nice cheesy items.
What bothers me the most is the Sling of Everard +5. It's the most powerful sling in the whole game (up to ToB when it is overtaken by a forged item) and it's simply available for purchase right at the beginning. As you don't use slings that often it makes the finding of any other sling utterly pointless.
but IIRC, that's a bonus merchant item, and you will need lots of money to buy it. If you havn't the money to buy it (and you don't cheat the money in or whatever), then you won't be buying it in the beginning of the game.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:18 AM   #10
Faceman
Hathor

especially with a good party you will have high reputation fast and with that and high charisma it's not that expensive anymore. Also there are various legitimate ways to earn lots of money in the beginning, so it IS easy access.