Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2004, 08:05 AM   #1
Odruith
The Magister

Is there a specific way to install Weidu mods?

As in: I have almost all of the weidu mods, but the problem is, the numbers of their weidu versions are different. So do you have to install them in order of version?

And if not are there problems associated with version numbers?

I have installed tactics with many other mods before and had a dialogue problem wherein Ilyich and co have confused dialogue:

Ie: the Glabrezu says something that has nothing to do with the situation, sometimes it's something like text from another area of the game,.

I can't remember an exact example now.

I'm fully patched both SoA and TOB and have the baldurash fixpacks and text fixers installed.
Odruith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
philip
Galvatron

version numbers are only to show the different updates the mod has been through. There's an order in which you have to install them though I don't know if that's for only WeiDU mods as well. You can find the order in the sticky mod thread.

I think your problems might be because of a wrong installation order. Check the thread again.
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

You've got a problem in you're dialogue file. I had this too from the Sola mod. I think the only way to fix it is to copy over your override and saved games folder to a new directory, delete the whole BG2 directory, then reinstall, then copy back the override and saved games folder to the directory

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Always backup your dialogue.tlk file, Chitin.key file and your override folder after installing the game, the patch, and the fixpack.

Then if anything goes wrong with the Mod(s), you do not need to reinstall the whole game, just restore the backups.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:41 AM   #5
icelus
Manshoon

Dundee gives sound advice--it has saved my butt more than once. I would also advise to backup your bgmain.exe and baldur.ini files, as well. Better safe than sorry.

I find it easiest to make a subfolder under the BG2 directory called "Backup" and copy everything there.
[url]\"http://modlist.pocketplane.net\" target=\"_blank\">Infinity Engine Modlist</a> - Comprehensive, Interactive, and Up-to-date!<br />[url]\"http://www.pocketplane.net\" target=\"_blank\">Pocket Plane Group</a> and [url]\"http://www.gibberlings3.net\" target=\"_blank\">The Gibberlings Three</a> - your sources for quality IE mods
icelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:50 AM   #6
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Could you guys tell me which of the files is for what?

Dialogue.tlk: The dialogues that people have throughout the game.
Chitin.key: What's this one for?
Override Folder: Dunno how to explain it, but I know what it is.
bgmain.ex: What's this?
baldur.ini: And what's this one for?

I ask only so that I know which ones to restore when I have a problem.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:11 AM   #7
andrewas
Harper

Chitin.key is an index into the .bif files. Some mods alter this file to index into additional .bif files, which has the potential to cause problems. Restoring the orignal .key cuts the indexes to the new .bifs, so they have no effect on the game.

Bgmain.exe is the actual program. Breaking this is fatal. Very occasionaly a mod will alter this, in order to change on of the hardcoded values in the game. The starting exprience patcher is the only one that come to mind. (The no-cd patch also changes this, but that isnt a mod).

Baldur.ini is configuration information. What resolution to use, which movies are available, what size install you are using, that sort of thing.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:05 PM   #8
Odruith
The Magister

Hmm. Danke for the the advice, though I'm still not sure which order to install the mods in.
Last night I re-installed BG2, deleted all the MOD folders and such. But left the setup programs in the folder.
Went to install them and found, eventhough I'd deleted all of the files they'd altered, they still registered as installed.
I had to uninstall them again and found an error saying that I could not. So again I had to uninstall everything and delte my SoA folder [img]tongue.gif[/img] Something I've had to do often.
I'll back up my files this time just incase, I usually back up dialog.tlk anyway with dialog.tlk.OLD or .SOA just to be sure.
Basically, I'll list the MODs I've tried to install at once... which is seemingly insane [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Tactics
Ascension
Redemption
Itm Upgrade + Cespenar audio
Ease of use(certain components eg: Bag of holding increase)
Sola
Valen
Chloe(Not sure about this one. Tried it last time didn't enjoy it.)
Tashia
Kelsey
Ghareth
Hessa
Stronghold x-pack(Imp thief stronghold, etc)
APACK(Rogue rebalancing, etc)
Unfinished Business(nice work, Icelus [img]smile.gif[/img]
Flirt Pack
Banter Pack
Imp. Planar Sphere
Yes. I am certainly insane. Though I wanted to see if the Weidu mods, which I believe most of those are from their setup files, would work. I tried them and one or more of them is making the dialogue buggy at certain points in the game. (Not as buggy as it was when I only had TDD installed over my unpatched game, however.)
As it is, I am fully patched. With the fix packs for both SoA and ToB, including the dialogue fix-packs from Baldurash too. So I'm wondering, what order if any should these be installed? My first thought was: Install the patches that make combat harder, etc first. Install the imp stronghold mods then the item upgrade ones. Then add the NPC mods. Then the banter/flirt pack to enhance dialogue.
The combination has worked in the past, but has remained buggy at points, mainly with components added by other mods rather than those from the original game ala Imp Ilyich.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:33 PM   #9
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Imp. Planar Sphere? What's that?

Anyhow, when you say 'all at once', please don't tell me your opened up the installers for everything in one window, then tried to literally do them all at one time...
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 10:38 PM   #10
Odruith
The Magister

No [img]tongue.gif[/img] I installed them one at a time [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'm not stupid Just a little crazy

Imp Planar sphere.. can't remember where I got it. But it's supposed to expand the planar sphere quests a bit more once you've gotten it as your stronghold.