Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2003, 01:13 AM   #1
cav_again
Manshoon

I don't know where else to bring up this topic, and this seems like an ideal place.

I really want to try PnP D&D, but I can't really find anyone in my area. I just graduated high school last spring (taking off the year till I start college in Florida next fall), have a part time job, just broke up with my girlfriend (had nothing to do with D&D, I swear), and, like I said, I'm interested in doing this. I'm not a stereotypical "nerd" or anything (actually, probably a jock if you want to classify me), I do have friends, I'm not a shut in, etc. etc. (I've been around these forums long enough to know that you all come from all aspects of life, and know that not all D&D players are stereotypes and eveything, but I'm just getting all formalities out of the way.)

Anyway, I've heard of forums, conventions, I've even heard that there is certain kind of Instant Messeging program specifically for playing online, but that's all it is: stuff I've heard. I don't know how or where to find these forums, conventions, or other people willing to play.

so, you've heard my pleas, you know what I'm looking for (anything!), any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 10-16-2003, 01:28 AM   #2
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

lol, your plea is the same as mine, it is hard to find people who still play PnP D&D around here, those that do are drunk most of the time, so I know your pain [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] as to helping, not much I can help you with, better to wait for the true gamers to arrive and see this I have not played PnP in years, sad as it seems. as for other types of text games, I only tried one online text rpg, and did not like it took to long to type in "say name" how are you, and then west north east and south, plus hit goblin, hit bad guy, gits old quick, I prefer to be able to talk to the DM get better ideas of what is happening
Old 10-16-2003, 01:46 AM   #3
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Ehem. . . *cough* *cough*
Old 10-16-2003, 01:53 AM   #4
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Your chances should improve dramatically once you get to college. You're sure to find other gamers there and you will have the close proximity needed to play on a regular basis. Of course, your classes, assignments, mid-terms, and finals tend to get in the way sometimes, but that's the price you have to pay.

Seriously, though, I began playing PnP AD&D in college and I'm still close friends with all the guys (and girls) from our college gaming group. We still try to get together once a year, but we've moved away from each other and many of us have families of our own that prevent us from leaving for a weekend of gaming. Still, email keeps us in touch with each other and keeps us close as a group.

Hope you find some friends as good as the ones I hooked up with. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2003, 02:16 AM   #5
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Maybe an option for you would be DNDirc©. You can actually play DnD very well across your computer screen with IRC. I have a dicebot program which allows people to roll dice in a room. Very handy if noone close to you plays PnP.

Furthermore, why did you start with making sure no one would think you're a nerd? Cause all the DnD players I know are far from that, in fact, the most intelligent and wise people I know play it. There would be no reason do dismiss all those thoughts about nerds if you'd have no problem with it...
Old 10-16-2003, 02:41 AM   #6
cav_again
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Your chances should improve dramatically once you get to college.
yeah, I've heard this too, and I'm looking forward to it.

Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Maybe an option for you would be DNDirc©. You can actually play DnD very well across your computer screen with IRC. I have a dicebot program which allows people to roll dice in a room.

tell me more about this, I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here? I do have a couple friends who would play if we could manage it online. But we'd might still need a DM.

Also Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Furthermore, why did you start with making sure no one would think you're a nerd? Cause all the DnD players I know are far from that, in fact, the most intelligent and wise people I know play it. There would be no reason do dismiss all those thoughts about nerds if you'd have no problem with it...

like I said, just pointing out that i'm not a 'nerd' or anything (at least not in the classical sense); just giving a little background about myself is all.

thanks for the replies so far

[ 10-16-2003, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: cav_again ]
Old 10-16-2003, 03:03 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

Check around your area for a gaming enthusiast hobby store. I have been to several in different states that offer weekly open games. At the least you may find a bulletin board to find or post a gamers want ad. These are also great places to get dice and cheap used books, though e-bay or amazon usually has better deals.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:02 AM   #8
cav_again
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Check around your area for a gaming enthusiast hobby store. I have been to several in different states that offer weekly open games. At the least you may find a bulletin board to find or post a gamers want ad. These are also great places to get dice and cheap used books, though e-bay or amazon usually has better deals.
the only hobby store in my area is only ten minutes away, but the guy's a stiff and there're no bulletin boards in the store or anything. it is where I bought my dice and players handbook, though.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:36 AM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:

Cause all the DnD players I know are far from that, in fact, the most intelligent and wise people I know play it. There would be no reason do dismiss all those thoughts about nerds if you'd have no problem with it...
"You attack the darkness.. there is an Elf in front of you!".
Old 10-16-2003, 08:57 AM   #10
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

roflmao...still so funny
and chewie, I hate buying used dice, I am very protective of my dice, and spend along time when picking them out, lol, call me superstious, but no one touches mine, it jinkses them