Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2002, 09:44 AM   #1
AhTangr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello again. I apologize for my naive question, but I havent understood what the "turn undead" skill actually does. Thanks a priori.
AhTangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:00 AM   #2
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Hi, AhTangr. There is absolutely no need to apologize for having that question. The D&D rules can be quite confusing at times.

Turn Undead is ability that clerics and paladins have in the D&D rules system. It is an ability by which they draw upon the power of their faith to turn/destroy [good/neutral clerics and paladins] undead creatures or to rebuke and dominate them [evil clerics].

Undead that are turned by a good cleric, for example, will move away from the cleric and his party. This can be very helpful in some areas where you might face undead monsters in large numbers. This ability improves with level and so at high levels powerful clerics and paladins can literally blast undead out of existence.

To use this ability select your cleric or paladin and then find on the interface at the bottom of the screen the button that has a skull on it. Press this button to activate the character's undead turning ability. Note that if this character chooses to attack then he/she stops trying to turn undead.

I hope this is helpful. Let us know if you have any more questions.
Good luck with the game!
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:03 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

The turn undead button can work in two ways. Good and Neutral clerics, as well as paladins, use the ability to actually turn them (more on that later) while evil priests supposedly take control of the undead (haven't tried this myself though).
Undead 'live' because they are maintained by a certain power. Sometimes this leaks from the Negative plane, other times it is summoned by, for example, wizards. A cleric turning undead seeks to remove the energy that animates the bones. How succesful it is depends on how well trained the cleric is andon how strong the undead creature is (stronger ones have more enery to remove, or the energy is better managed).
In IWD, there are three different effects you can have while turning undead. A low level priest facing a high level undead creature can turn all hewants, but there'll be no effect. A high level priest turning a low level undead (like a zombie or skeleton) can instantly destroy it. Anything inbetween does affect the undead but won't destroy it. This is the most common effect, and the effect of such a turning is to make the undead want to stay away from the cleric, out of a fear-like desire not to be destroyed. In game, the effect is to have the skeletons flee.

The exact levels needed to destroy or 'scare' an undead creature depends on the creature itself as well, so I can't give you all the details from the top of my head [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and please don't apologise for asking questions. That's what this forum is for, okay?
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:31 AM   #4
AhTangr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank you for all the information (I now have for sure understood the use of it!!!) and also for your support. I will be glad to share not only my questions, but also my most interesting experiences throughout the game in the future.
AhTangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:24 PM   #5
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

Is there anybody who has used the turn undead with an evil cleric?
I went with an evil party this time and took a cleric for her healing
arts, not even thinking about turn undead. I didn't use it in the Vale
but I don't think I did with my good party either. I definately used it in
Dragon's Eye. If my evil cleric merely turns them to my side, I'm assuming
I don't get any xp for that. Probably not worth it.
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 11:07 PM   #6
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

If you turn the undead to your side they will fight for you like summoned monsters and so can make very useful cannon fodder in tough fights. When combat is over you can always attack and destroy them to get the experience points.
Cyril Darkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote