Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2002, 12:08 PM   #1
kingpats
Elite Waterdeep Guard

having played SoA on and off for about a year (best game ive EVER played) i was over the moon to get ToB and finish off the saga.im part way through ToB, but in a way im reluctant to finish it. after all this time and all them quests and scrapes ive been through with my beserker mage ive become totally attatched and dont want to get to the point where there is nothing left for me to do. is there any future beyond ToB? does anyone else get that feeling. dont you wish you could just carry on living in your stronghold doing the odd quest with your mates when you felt like it , or when evil beckoned?

but what about this for an idea. an online city/world/environment where loads of player characters could interact, team up or battle?
to go on a quest only to find that you'd been beaten to the reward by another 'live' party. trying to storm other peoples strongholds and trying to find out just exactly is the 'almighty'. the programming team could initialise events that that would start threads, quests, and plots. i know this would be hard to do but how far away are we from this sort of game
i'd settle for a small house in athkatla maybe and buy and sell exotic gems................ apart from at night when i'd rampage round the taverns
the posibilities would be endless
kingpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 02:06 PM   #2
Wedin

Well... since some people sin't whimpy aerie-lovers that do apreciate Power (with capitol P), we would have quite a few Lord of Murders [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2002, 02:33 PM   #3
Wedin

And BTW, we will get NWN soon
Old 03-14-2002, 08:10 PM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

You can import your Baldur's Gate II character in Neverwinter Night, and Neverwinter night is exactly what you described.
Old 03-17-2002, 03:07 AM   #5
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Except for the fact that in neverwinter nights you'll be much lower level (probably 1) you won't have any of your magic items and your abilities will be all different because it's the third edition rules. You can still have the same name though(as long as someone else doesn't use it first)!
Old 03-17-2002, 06:16 AM   #6
Luther
Manshoon

Of course you could always just take up Kung Fu and start your own vigilante group for real. There's no limit to what you can do in real life. The Graphics and gameplay are always great and while the storyline is sometimes a little dull it has great AI and is always able to improve itself.

Well....it's a thought at least.
[img]smile.gif[/img]
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 10:41 AM   #7
fable
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Luther:
Of course you could always just take up Kung Fu and start your own vigilante group for real. There's no limit to what you can do in real life. The Graphics and gameplay are always great and while the storyline is sometimes a little dull it has great AI and is always able to improve itself.
Well....it's a thought at least.
[img]smile.gif[/img]
Oh, rare and dry, I like it. As Luther suggests, fantasy stuff belongs in fantasy worlds, and games have their conclusions because they eventually get boring. I'm glad BG2 ended when it did; had it been longer, it would have overstayed its leave. Besides, if you really need a CRPG fix, there will be plenty of 'em this year.

Just remember that there are other activities beyond gaming that are considerably more rewarding, and far more challenging, in reallife. [img]smile.gif[/img]
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 09:05 AM   #8
kingpats
Elite Waterdeep Guard

all i was saying was that it would be nice to carry on with my character after having spent so much time building her up. as an old player of the original Ad&d games, you played your character through many quests, across different lands and different scenarios as was set up by the dungeon master. you finished when you died or retired or became tired of the adventuring life.
the reason its taken me so long to complete SoA is because im not some fantasy wierdo locked up in my room detached from reality 24 - 7 ------------ i have a life
kingpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 05:36 AM   #9
Luther
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by kingpats:
all i was saying was that it would be nice to carry on with my character after having spent so much time building her up. as an old player of the original Ad&d games, you played your character through many quests, across different lands and different scenarios as was set up by the dungeon master. you finished when you died or retired or became tired of the adventuring life.
the reason its taken me so long to complete SoA is because im not some fantasy wierdo locked up in my room detached from reality 24 - 7 ------------ i have a life
Heh, didn't mean to insinuate that you don't have a life [img]smile.gif[/img] I know what you mean. A good, constantly evolving game world would be really cool, and they are trying to make one. Ultima Online gave it a shot, as did Everquest, and Neverwinter Nights will try soon too. All in all I don't think these massively multiplayer RPGs are ever going to be able to live up to everyone's expectations though. They usually end up just being glorified chatrooms with a bit of lagged gameplay thrown in for kicks.

[ 03-19-2002, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: Luther ]
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 07:30 AM   #10
theifprowess
Drizzt Do'Urden

i dont know if you could consider diablo 2 a rpg but i think it is and that was a big online thing. i believe there are enough BG players out there that when NWN comes out it will hit big on the internet. lord knows ill be on it. and to comment on what the one guy said earlier about being on 24-7 hes right. sex work and sleep are the only other things in life. the game just is what you do when your tired of hearing your woman/man bitching to you. you play the game to get away from some of the pressures that work put on you. and sleep well thats what you lose when you play the game to much and causes you to destroy your relationship and your attendance at work [img]smile.gif[/img]
theifprowess is offline   Reply With Quote