Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Default Question about Netflix

Does anyone here use Netflix or a similar rental company to deliver to your home?
What about their instant online viewing option?

I was thinking of trying them out, but would like to get some opinions.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Question about Netflix

We started using Netflix recently. Haven't done the on-line viewing option... might have to think about that

It's been easy and straightforward. Put your list of movies together, and when you finish one, send it back. The next one comes out to you when that one arrives, and away you go.

About the only thing it *doesn't* encourage is watching a movie several times. Not that there are many that are worth watching several times... but if there were, I'd be hard pressed not to send it out the day after I watch it the first time.

I put off signing up for a long time. I enjoy it... 'Nuff said.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Chewbacca
Zartan

I love Netflix. Just as they advertise: Typically fast delivery and no late fees. I also use Gamefly, which has gotten better for me now that they have an East coast distribution center.

I have not tried to veiw online option yet at NF and it's still worth it regardless.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

See, I go to Family Video and get their $10/month at half-price deal and I think I come out just as cheap, plus the video store is close enough to the grocery store and gas station that I really don't consider it a chore to go out there.

I am really trying to figure out which one comes out cheapest and most convenient, and at the moment it seems to be a tie. I'm still considering my options. Thanks for the posts so far.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

We considered the same trade-off (and still do use the local video store on occasion). The decision points for us...
  • Don't have to worry about whether that film you want is in stock
  • Takes less gas to drive to the mailbox
  • No late fees, even if we don't get to it right away
  • When a movie catches your eye, put it on your list and it will eventually show up

On the negative side....
  • Instant gratification... sayonara
  • Limit to number of movies at once (1, 2, or 3 at a time)
  • Hope that when that movie arrives, you're still interested in watching it

All in all, I have to say it's better and less hassle than I had feared originally. YMMV. DSMIHNMA.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Larry I use Netflix and like it. I order the movies and they arrive in what to me is a reasonable time. The instant viewing is incredibly easy. I do not have cable tv (since I hate commecials) but have cable internet. It enables me to watch some shows I would not see till dvd like Heros plus a few other options if Im bored.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Hey LoA!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well... personally when I feel like watching a movie I want to watch it now. I don't see myself saying "Hey guys it's pretty boring tonight how about we go online and order a movie for in a couple of days?" The video stone is maybe 10 minutes away, I don't see any reasons why I shouldn't go myself when I feel like seeing a movie.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

We use netflix mostly for the TV shows on DVD. It is very economical, even though I get 20% off any used or new DVD I want at work.

For TV shows and other multi-disk sets in particular the savings value is tremendous. We got through all six seasons of the Sopranos in just a few months, costing us about $80 dollars in netflix fees. Buying all those seasons at the store would have cost over $200, even with an employee discount.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #10
Bumbus
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
For TV shows and other multi-disk sets in particular the savings value is tremendous. We got through all six seasons of the Sopranos in just a few months, costing us about $80 dollars in netflix fees. Buying all those seasons at the store would have cost over $200, even with an employee discount.
I don’t use netflix myself, but if I understand correctly you have to send the DVDs back. If that is the case then for the $80 you don’t actually get anything, whereas for the $300 You will have the DVDs forever.

Generally if I see a movie I think I will like or have seen and know I like, I will just buy it.