Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-25-2004, 07:00 PM   #11
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

If you haven't already, delete your dialup connection in Network Neighborhood(your dialup has to still be there if it is trying to dial when it doesn't detect a network). It isn't offering to bridge connections is it? Showing two devices?

In IE go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections and choose 'never dial a connection'. Even if this doesn't correct your problem, at least you won't get your old dialup screen anymore. While there, under LAN settings, choose automatically detect(unless otherwise suggested by your ISP).

In addition, if you aren't using static IP addresses make sure DHCP is enabled on your router.

[ 08-25-2004, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 08-26-2004, 05:17 AM   #12
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Well, my IP is static...so I guess that means DHCP is deactivated? I think that's my default.

Let me create a restore point first, then I'll follow your advice (getting a bit gunshy with this now )

Old 08-26-2004, 06:43 AM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Nope...didn't work. Same thing happened - as soon as the WinXP wizard finishes, it kills my connection.

I'm starting to get sick of this seriously...shouldn't this be simple?? [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2004, 06:58 AM   #14
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

It really should be, and to be honest, we are probably missing something simple. My experience with computers is that the more annoying the problem, the simpler the solution.

Did your modem and/or router come with setup discs? You shouldn't have to run them after the Wizard, but who knows.

Are you losing internet on both machines?

Internet connection sharing turned off?

I did have a problem with my network once after adding a machine. It happened after adding WEP protection and despite adding the correct key a dozen times, I could not connect. My friend works for the cable company(they provide RoadRunner), and he advised to reset the router to default settings(pushing the pinhole button on the back). It seemed stupid to me, but it worked. After all machines were connected to the network and internet, then I tweaked the router settings to their previous security level.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:06 AM   #15
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Stuff it...I've decided to forget about it for now, and play a game of Medieval Total War instead. Long day at work and I can't think...I'll sort it out later. Thanks for the help though, Ronn!

Old 08-26-2004, 08:04 AM   #16
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

NP, I wish I'd been more help. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out my home network. My wife thinks I enjoy tweaking it more than gaming. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Here's a workaround that may work for you. You did say you could ping the machines didn't you? Go to Start>Run>type '\\thenameorIPoftheothermahine\c$'. This is an administrative share that should give you access to the entire C drive of the other machine. You may have to log in. If so, just use an account and password that is valid on the machine you're connecting to. If it only offers the guest account, make sure the guest account is enabled on the machine you're connecting to.

You can also attempt to map a network drive by right clicking on My Computer and choosing that option.

***Ronn re-reads what he's posted***

Hmm... Medieval Total War does sound like more fun. [img]smile.gif[/img]

When you do figure it out make sure you post the solution, so I can add it to my growing list of networking notes.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:09 AM   #17
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Mate, I'll be back on this thread...trust me.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:31 AM   #18
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Sound simple enough...

1. Make sure that on your XP, you should have installed "File and Printer Sharing for M$ Network".

2. Assign IP address for both of the PCs. For example 192.168.0.10 or something. Oh, if the first one is having the IP adress above, the other PC should be having different IP address, for example 192.168.0.20 or something.

3. Mark the folder that you want to share and select "Maximum Share". If you prefer a little bit of security, you can specify the user account which are allowed to access to the share folder.

4. For the XP PC, go to the "Administrative Tools" and select "Computer Management", then "Local Users and Groups". Create an account for the notebook to log into the XP network.

5. If prompt to reboot, do it. Then on your notebook, you should be able to "see" the share folder. Click on it and the system will ask you to log in. Enter the user name and password that you have just created with the "Administrative Tools".

It is possible to run LAN on dynamic IP instead of fixed IP, but I have not had any success with that method, so it will be "easier" for you to stick with fixed IP. FYI, the assigned fixed IP will not affect you broadband IP.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:28 AM   #19
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

First thoughts... get rid of the networking wizard. It seems to be doing more harm than good.

I run DHCP here (dynamic IP) on all computers; the routers, printers, and Linux server have fixed IP addresses. Why? Well, I consider those to be fixed reources that everyone uses. Everything else can just come in wherever it wants to. I have had intermittent problems with a Win98 client not being able to see other computers, but those computers could see it. Those eventually went away.

If I were to solve this, I'd start back at the beginning. What's your network look like? I expect you've got a router/firewall of some kind connecting you to the outside world, and then all the computers connected to that. If that's not the case, please describe your physical layout.

Assuming you're there, the next thing is to make sure the router is properly connected to the outside world. I generally poke around on it and look for things like WAN IP addresses and so on. If all the computers can see the router and the outside world, then it's just an internal setup problem.

In my environment, the router is serving as the DHCP server. IOW, it assigns the dynamic IP addresses for all the computers. The computers can be either fixed or dynamic, so long as the same IP address isn't used by two machines. I had a problem at a customer two weeks ago where I was suddenly using the same IP address as someone else. Turned out it was an XP box that went back to a previous restore point... apparently, the IP address was restored as well.

Make sure all computers belong to the same workgroup or domain. This is set up in Network properties. They don't *HAVE* to be the same, but I've found it to be easier. Be sure to give them different names as well (set up in the same place). It makes it easier to know who is who.

Once all that seems to be done, go into Explorer and click on Network Neighborhood, then Entire Network. Don't use the wizard... [img]smile.gif[/img] On my machine here, it goes from Entire Network to Workgroup (my workgroup), and then to the individual machine names. From there, it goes to the shares on the individual machines.

This is a good place to figure out where you are having problems -- how much of this chain can you see?

My brain is frying, and there are too many permutations from here. Give this a shot, and respond back with specific spots and error messages or problems.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #20
Animal
Gold Dragon

I'm assuming that after running the networking wizard that you rebooted your machine?

What provider are you using and is it cable or DSL. They use different protocols that aren't quite compatible with each other.

I'd guess, and just a guess mind you, that the networking wizard did it's job just fine, but the problem is with the protocols you have set up in the router itself.