Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-04-2004, 09:13 AM   #11
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Gosh, what a bunch of tender little souls people have, to be offended every time someone else is insulted. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I think people reported the post because they thought *I* was insulted, or because they were insulted by the f-word, but not because they were offended by the insult to me.

Anyway.

Like I said I'm not discussing or challenging the rules that lead to a banning here, I'm just asking whether it would not be a mitigating circumstance if the insult was not taken as one.
And AFAIK, Aaron's already emailed Dan. I just don't know whether such a big fuss should be made over this when as I said, several members have used curse words in the last few days and several people have used the f-word here when drunk in the past. Oops, now I *am* challenging the rules, sorry. Hmm, no, scratch that - not challenging them, just their application. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Geez, go easy on the sarcasm, why dontcha mate!! I understand your position on this, Sarah, you weren't offended, for which I am glad. I hope you understand where we're coming from as well.

Also, something you may not have been aware of is that a few days ago Dan commented on the fact that curse words have been increasingly used on this forum and he wanted this stopped. Cue Aaron. His timing was not the greatest, unfortunately. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

Anyway, since Dan made the initial decision, he will doubtless make the final decision. The mitigating circumstances you mention won't change the fact that a penalty will likely be applied - but they will likely influence the severity of that penalty. Bit like a speeding ticket - if you've never sped before the cop is more likely to warn you than book you. I have my own opinion and will make that known to Dan, as will the rest of us. Let's leave it at that, eh? We've all made our positions clear. After all, we're breaking yet another rule - discussing moderator decisions on the forum.

Let's leave it for now. Fair enough?

[ 06-04-2004, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 06-04-2004, 09:24 AM   #12
Melusine
Dracolisk

Dude. I am all for a ban, I understand the rules and I understand that Aaron broke them. All I'm saying is that an indefinite ban might be slightly exaggerated given that "no one was hurt".

And I *know* Dan cracked down on curse words recently, that was the point I was making in fact. Like I said in my initial post I don't want to be a smart ass so I won't repeat my complaint, but read between the lines. My point is that even with the reinforcement of the rule, some people cursed. *cough*

And yeah, I know not to discuss a moderator's decision on the forum, so I hesitated when I started the thread. However, the point of it was not to challenge the decision, I just thought I should be allowed my say since I was the person concerned after all. Now that I've had it, consider the case closed AFAIAC, until Dan has a chance to look at it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2004, 09:35 AM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Dude. I am all for a ban, I understand the rules and I understand that Aaron broke them. All I'm saying is that an indefinite ban might be slightly exaggerated given that "no one was hurt".
*subtle hint for Madchen*

in·def·i·nite ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-df-nt)
adj.
1. Not definite, especially:
a. Unclear; vague.
b. Lacking precise limits: an indefinite leave of absence.
c. Uncertain; undecided: indefinite about their plans.

All should be cool.

[ 06-04-2004, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 06-04-2004, 09:55 AM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Throwing my 2 cents in here. I thought two things when the post was reported : 1) That's not like the Hierophant to curse someone directly in the forum! 2) Geez he's snapped if he posted an 'f' you to Sarah! That's gonna cost him!

My point is that I couldn't believe he would mean it and at the same time, from the post itself, couldn't tell that he didn't. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that others thought it was a serious personal attack on another member. I'm relieved to see it wasn't and that you're not offended, Sarah.

Looks like it was bad timing and a little alcohol... and Hiero is going to have time to think about it, but as Mems said, it may not be long. In view of the circumstances, I'd advocate a shorter amount of time, myself. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-04-2004, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 06-04-2004, 10:02 AM   #15
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
PWI, Posting while Intoxicated.
Guilty as charged.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:05 AM   #16
Melusine
Dracolisk

Subtle hint to Genieboy: My English is not *that* bad is it?
I know what indefinite means. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I also know that on IWs it's usually longer than a month or Dan would have phrased it differently. I also thought we were both going to drop it. I'm also thinking Genieboy is getting a teensy bit exasperated with me now. I suddenly remembered Genieboy is the epitome of laid-back cool so I'm probably safe. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I'm also gonna stop talking in this annoying manner NOW.

Amber, thanks for the input - well said! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2004, 10:07 AM   #17
Stratos
Vampire

You've been doing quite well this far, johnny.

Edit: Sorry if I derailed this serious thread... [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[ 06-04-2004, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 06-04-2004, 10:07 AM   #18
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

My opinion is as follows:
  • You get punsihed if you drive and injured somebody under the influnece of alchocol even if you didn` mean it. So don` drnk and drive next time O.K?
  • Since he was under the influnce of alco. he wasn`t aware of his actions. He might get only suspended for two weeks for example.
  • It`s Z`s choice in the end, so let him decide what to do or not do.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:09 AM   #19
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Well, we could off topic your thread, Sarah, and start discussing Johnny's serious PWI record.

[ 06-04-2004, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 06-04-2004, 10:14 AM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I suddenly remembered Genieboy is the epitome of laid-back cool so I'm probably safe. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Damn straight I'm the epitome of laid-back [img]graemlins/cool.gif[/img] so you're safe. Lucky...

[ 06-04-2004, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]