Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-02-2001, 05:01 PM   #1
Moiraine
Anubis

I figured I would create a new "The Sojourner" topic for our wandering Bard Yorick to tell us new stories about his adventures.
Wind to your sails !

Old 03-02-2001, 06:18 PM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Ok Ok I get the hint.

Today was pretty intense for me. I started seeing Berlin yesterday and today saw a whole lot more. There is so much that this city has been through and though I was already familiar with Deutsch history, I felt I needed to understand more about the backdrop against which the present city is set.

This is the second time I´ve been here. The first, seven or so years ago, which was only three years after the wall came down. A fair amount has changed.

I´m staying with a guy who lives in the west but who grew up in the east. (My mate from Aust. had his baby pop out of his wifes stomach the morning I arrived so I´m staying with this most fascinating Berliner.)
Anyhow he´s fourty or so and is musical himself, has the most interesting apartment, full of curios from South America and Africa and wall to wall records and CDs (he has a world music radio show that he DJs). It was so interesting talking to him about the collapse of communism and where he´s at now. A very likable interesting guy.

When I was last here you could tell the easterners from the westerners, but not now. The east is actually considered the ´funky´ part of town regarding nightlife and music.

I saw the Brandenburg Sheet (it´s been covering the Tor for a while now apparently) and the new Reichstag dome. In the dome on the roof of the soon-to-be new Deutsch parliament building. There is a large circle containing photos and info about the troubled history of the building - that unlike Bonn doesn´t have a huge tradition of workable 'democracy'.

It was eiree.

There was positivity but how much could there be when Hitler is only breifly mentioned and his photo not even shown. Denial?

Ramon do you guys still carry guilt around? In Australia a few years back the guilt over the mistreatment of Aboriginals was pretty tangible. I read some words from a Deutsch musician who identified with some youths kicking against an "overly careful policy" resultant from the desperate need for the 1940s to never happen again.

Man it´s such heavy stuff. Sydney by comparison is like a carefree adolescant.
I mean how is the wall? I stood on a section of it´s remains tonight. A middle aged bearded Berliner stood in the former east and I in the former west and he asked me why the hell I was here when Sydney was much warmer at the moment and had good beaches. (LOL)

In Sydney I couldn´t walk through a gate that Napoleon had ridden through, or take a stroll through a forest with a floor of snow beside a lake that threatens to freeze over.

I shall dwell more on the mystery of Berlin, shall talk more with my new friend and post some more. In the meantime I hope you guys have a good day/night.

Yorick

------------------
Where were Hamlet and Horatio when I needed them?

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 03-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 03-02-2001).]
Old 03-02-2001, 06:58 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Well, dear Bard, another visit full of interesting experiences and observations! Glad to see you made it to Berlin safely!

Standing on the wall...that must have been awesome. That's a big piece of history, that wall.

It's fascinating to hear that it's hard to tell the former east/west inhabitants apart these days. Things have definitely changed over the last decade or so.

Fare thee well, o Bard, on the rest of your journeys!

Cloudy

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 03-02-2001).]
Old 03-02-2001, 07:14 PM   #4
Stealthy

Yorick, never mind a musician, you should become a travel writer. Your insight is amazing. If you ever write a book, I want it. I could actually picture myself there, your way with words is supreme. No wonder your lyrics are so good.

------------------

Peekaboo!
Old 03-02-2001, 07:35 PM   #5
Vicotnik
Zhentarim Guard

Interesting stuff Yorick! Please do keep us posted!

------------------
Vicotnik, archmage of the Holy Flame - Also, meet my little familiar...
Old 03-02-2001, 09:53 PM   #6
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Thank you for posting such an interesting episode in your travels! Are these travels inspiring new songs? Or will you write, as Stealthy suggested?

Whatever, your description is wonderful - easy to imagine being there.
Old 03-03-2001, 12:01 AM   #7
Draconia

Wow Yorick. It sounds like you had a really interesting time. I hope the rest of your journey is as interesting. Take care of yourself.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 03-03-2001, 04:46 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Meet Her At The Love Parade, eh Yorick?

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Holy Flame
Old 03-03-2001, 01:01 PM   #9
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Thanks guys! The well wishes are certainly appreciated.

Memnoch... you know your Berlin it seems. Bit early in the year for that it seems. Alas....

------------------
Where were Hamlet and Horatio when I needed them?
Old 03-03-2001, 01:42 PM   #10
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hey, Yorick, keep it coming. I know I don't post a lot on these threads, but I do love reading 'em. It is second to being there yourself, ya know. Great writing.

BK
________
Atx Transmission

Last edited by Black Knight; 03-21-2011 at 04:47 AM.