Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Just thought I would start a thread for useful spell tips. I will start with two I found useful recently, the first I discovered by accident some time ago.

1. Resurrection, another use: Your cleric is a lazy bum who refuses to walk across the room to use Heal on a severely injured player. Or is two much of a yellow bellied cowered to go into the thick of battle. Cast Resurrection like Heal except from afar. If the target dies before it is cast then it still works unlike Heal.

2. Antimagic Shell: Do you find Stone Nuisances and other creatures who do nothing but cast magic missiles all day long a pain in the butt or anywhere else you get hit with a missile? Will this spell will allow you to stand around and enjoy the fireworks as you beat them with your staff or club all day long until you decide to rest. Note: If you are planning to battle creatures other than stone Nuisances that you want to use spells on than use sheild.

[ 01-19-2005, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Otiluke's resilient sphere: Have the least useful character only walk into the middle of enemies and cast it on him/her so that all the monsters and their mothers attack him only. Can make cheese out of most battles, that's why I never use this otherwise useful spell.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
2. Globe of Invulnerability: Do you find Stone Nuisances and other creatures who do nothing but cast magic missiles all day long a pain in the butt or anywhere else you get hit with a missile? Will this spell will allow you to stand around and enjoy the fireworks as you beat them with your staff or club.
So rather then use Shield, a 1st level spell that is also avaible from a wand to negate magic missiles, you're using Globe of Invulnerability a 6th(?) level spell.

It is trivial to defeat Stone Nuisances with shield. Cast shield, lead with your mage, and make sure they are always the closest character to the Stone Nuisances, then use blunt weapons to beat them to death. No fancy high level spells needed.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:13 PM   #4
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
quote:
2. Globe of Invulnerability: Do you find Stone Nuisances and other creatures who do nothing but cast magic missiles all day long a pain in the butt or anywhere else you get hit with a missile? Will this spell will allow you to stand around and enjoy the fireworks as you beat them with your staff or club.
So rather then use Shield, a 1st level spell that is also avaible from a wand to negate magic missiles, you're using Globe of Invulnerability a 6th(?) level spell.

It is trivial to defeat Stone Nuisances with shield. Cast shield, lead with your mage, and make sure they are always the closest character to the Stone Nuisances, then use blunt weapons to beat them to death. No fancy high level spells needed.
[/QUOTE]True but I believe Antimagic Shell last a much, much, much, longer time. Since I save all Stone Nuisances until I have cleaned out the entire map I only use 1. Both are good depending on how you want to use them. Plus the fact there are enough good level 1 spells that I don't want to waste to many on shield. It is just preference mind you.

[ 01-19-2005, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I prefer Entropy Shield, but any spell will do. If you have a multi-classed mage, then let them use the Shield Ring (does anyone ever use the Shield Ring?).

Sanctuary will also act like the Otiluke's Sphere; watch all the monsters follow the cleric like lost sheep, concentrating them into one area. After that, fire at will...preferrably after using Symbol of Hopelessness. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Azred:
I prefer Entropy Shield, but any spell will do. If you have a multi-classed mage, then let them use the Shield Ring (does anyone ever use the Shield Ring?). ~~
I do. It's good for characters that cannot wear armour with decent AC( Mages & Bards).

As for Shield vs GoInvulnerability for Magic Missile, Shield wins hands down. The duration of GoI is much, much shorter than Shield. Hale, if you have been using my AI Scripts, Shield is the default spell your character will cast when he encounters Stone Nuisances.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:18 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Ok, at least one person uses it. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

Unfortunately, though, I must confess that I don't use your scripts...even though they are probably better than mine. [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote