Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-04-2004, 01:30 AM   #11
Lucern
Quintesson

Yeah, I'm with the "do what your parents say" crowd on this one.

I play bass, mostly speed metal, though I've only played 20 or so live shows, and only 3 metal ones. Nobody knows you're a geek wearing ear plugs if you have long hair and don't headbang too much [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, you're going to want your hearing still by the time I get a band together!

The real damage comes from a long duration of hearing loud noises (like, a plane flight or long show) from what I understand, and ear plugs are a cheap solution. Just promise me you won't get the neon orange ones!

and by the way, being an American metal fan, I'm jealous that you're so close to where most of the metal I like most is being made.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:19 AM   #12
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucern:
Nobody knows you're a geek wearing ear plugs if you have long hair
yep [img]smile.gif[/img] It's getting longer now

Quote:

and don't headbang too much [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hmm, that's going to be a problem. But well if I just do it so fast that you can't see it Are those things really that easy to see?

Melusine, thanks for the great post! And I'm riding past a feedback any day I go to school so that shouldn't be too hard.

I think I've got a record now, 36 hours and still got the ringing in my ear. I just can't live without music so I'd better watch out cause I still want to hear it when I'm older [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2004, 04:08 AM   #13
wellard
Dracolisk

A good place for quality earplugs at a cheap price is Tool shops / industrial wear places. You want very soft latex or similar that is also very smooth.

There is a technique to putting them in as well. Practice a few times before you go out. They will help reduce the pressure off the high Db but still allow full musical enjoyment and conversations to be heard.

Many people in the record industry do where them, dont be shy. I'm now partly deaf through working in the aircraft industry and being a heavy metal fan. I wish I could have looked after my ears better.

*Note* To all motorcycle riders out there, dont put on a helmet till you have put in earplugs.

[img]graemlins/1djsmile.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 10-04-2004, 06:29 AM   #14
Melusine
Dracolisk

Philip, glad to help [img]smile.gif[/img]

Just a note; the only problem with getting ear plugs that aren't specifically made for musicians/concertgoers but for industrial applications is that they often filter out certain frequencies altoghether, which can make the sound of the concert duller. If you buy mid-pice-range musician ear plugs, they will not do anything to the sound other than making it quieter and therefore better to distinguish the different instruments etc.

Oh and the ones I have are nearly invisisble. Like I said don't get the big foam yellow ones, they will NOT protect your ears enough and look dorky. There are several types of earplugs that are very unobtrusive.

[ 10-04-2004, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 10-04-2004, 09:04 AM   #15
philip
Galvatron

Awesome [img]smile.gif[/img] And the good thing is I ride past the Feedback nearly everyday so I don't even have to make a special trip.

Well I asked my friend and he still had ringing ears as well, 42 hours and counting So here's a little warning for all of you, don't follow the concert newbie if he picks his place too close to the boxes or tell him earlier than 2 days after But well we both agree the sound was perfect since it didn't hurt at all then.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:05 AM   #16
philip
Galvatron

I've got them [img]smile.gif[/img] I just went to the Feedback and I'm impressed by the little things. Keeping my ear close to my speakers hurts without them but becomes pleasant sounding when I wear them. Not that I'm going to put my ear that close to any speaker anymore cause I doubt that would be good.

But I'm still a bit shocked about what my mother said. "What's that? Are you out of your mind!?" LOL but now she wants them for my brother too [img]smile.gif[/img]

Again thanks for the helP!

[ 12-10-2004, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: philip ]
Old 12-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #17
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Dunno what has been said, but earplugs tend to filter out high frequencies, which is good, since those are the ones that hurt your ears the most (from experience). I'm sure some of the sound energy is also absorbed, reducing the effective dB you hear.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 12-10-2004, 01:20 PM   #18
philip
Galvatron

I have 2 filters. Both filter most from 2000-8000 Hz. The light filter lowers the dB by 15-27 dB and the heavy one from 19-29 dB.

I'm going to test them out tomorrow. Since I've got to go to a party of my hockey club (the joys of playing in the best junior team) and the DJ that comes is an idiot regarding the dBs. One of my friends who's a DJ too knows the guy and told me he's 25 and nearly deaf,