Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-14-2001, 11:51 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I read the definition of Bastard Swords. It says that they can be wield with one or 2 hand. Is there really cool 2-handed bastard swords? So a 2handed fighting style fighter should also improve himself in bastard swords right? (please answer for both soa and tob)
Old 09-15-2001, 12:13 AM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Bastard Sword: Also known as the hand-and-a-half sword, the bastard sword derives its name from the fact that it is halfway between the two-handed sword and the long sword. The bastard sword has a double-edged blade and a long grip. The overall length of the bastard sword ranges between four feet and four feet ten inches.

The Two-handed and Bastard swords are very much alike. Besides the size of the blade and hilt. Both swords are made from two blades and are derived from the Long sword. In the end, I think you may have gotten the two definitions mixed in together.
Old 09-15-2001, 12:25 AM   #3
Desuma_Malevois

Also known as the hand-and-a-half sword, the bastard sword derives its name from the fact that it is halfway between the two-handed sword and the long sword. The bastard sword has a double-edged blade and a long grip, which can accommodate both hands if preferred. The overall length of the bastard sword ranges between four feet and four feet ten inches.

STATISTICS:

Damage: 2D4
Damage type: slashing
Weight: 10
Speed Factor: 8
Proficiency Type: Bastard Sword
Type: 1-handed
Requires: 11 Strength
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric
Mage
Thief

The preceding was BG2's item description of bastard swords. I'm assuming that what you read about using them with two hands came from your D&D manual. Please remember that BG2 is only *based upon* D&D - it does not follow it to the letter. In short, the answer to both your questions is "no".

Old 09-15-2001, 01:15 AM   #4
Seraph
Quintesson

The BGII "Basterd Sword" is actually closer in its math to the D&D broad sword. The basterd swords in D&D are two handed. And no one ever uses them because two handed swords are so much better.
Old 09-15-2001, 06:59 AM   #5
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

So I better improve myself in halberd & crossbow? My fighter is Level 18 and he's GM in 2-handed, SP in 2-handed fighting style, SP in Halberd. I'm thinking about to go on with Halberd. (and minsc goes with dual wielding) Also I'm thinking about crossbows but it sounds a little bit useless to me I never use ranged attack for my main character he's always in melee
Old 09-15-2001, 06:15 PM   #6
Debaser

Seraph-

bastard swords in D&D are both one- and two-handed. they can be wielded in both ways, which is a trade off for the lesser amount of damage relative to the two-handed sword.
Old 09-15-2001, 07:08 PM   #7
Seraph
Quintesson

Oh, Well, its been a while, so I guess my memory was just a little off.
I dont ever remember using them one handed.
Old 09-15-2001, 07:09 PM   #8
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

It would be nice if there was some 2-handed bastard swords in ToB