Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 04-22-2002, 09:39 PM   #1
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

Allright... the map feature, while loaded with useful options,
is Extreeeeeeeeemly slow to load.
As i picked up in another thread, this delay seems to be
related to using Direct3d.

So i switched to openGL, and it was true as the map was much faster.
HOWEVER:
1. now i have to set the brightness outside the game (livable i suppose)
2. screen refresh rate is set to a beefy 60Hz (NOT)
and possibly the most annoying is
3. recurring 'laggy movement' issue.

this lag in mouse or keyobard movement seems to be system/OS specific,
as i see it in other games under certain circumstances
(direct3d with U.T, openGL with Serious sam and water textures) and
nothing ive been able to do removes the problem.
the framerate itself is quite good, its just that inputs seem to be
delayed for somereason, leading to movement and cursor lag of varying
degrees. makes most games very annoying ot play.

so what should i do? anything else i can do to
A. get a fast map
B. get smooth movement.

*frustrated*
masterpoo.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:34 PM   #2
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

I'm convinced this is a graphics protocol problem. I use Glide2X, and having spoken with a number of other users with 3DFX cards, none of them have auto-map speed problems when using Glide.

OpenGL seems to have less troubles than DirectX. Then it probably comes down to driver revision / up-to-date-ness etc.

Suggestions: Check for latest drivers for your particular vid board, then look at what tweaks it offers that might help.

Good luck.
[img]smile.gif[/img]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:43 AM   #3
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

hmmm ok. as if i havnt tried enough drivers allready

i noticed in the setup program that there is an option of directx6 or 7... anyone tried 6?
Old 04-23-2002, 05:09 AM   #4
ice3
Drow Warrior

Your lag in mouse en KB may come if you are using USB versions. I switched back to PS/2 for my mouse and KB to avoid the lag in some games. In diablo 2 I got killed several times, so this was too much and switched back to the good old crappy PS/2 protocol. Works wounder.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:19 AM   #5
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of research about the slowness of Wiz 8, and from what I've gathered, there might be a memory leak, however it is still hard to say. The problems stem from lack of CPU power and how your system manages its memory.

What OS are you running? Wiz 8 runs very bad on Win 98, and regardless of the OS, you need to have a lot of processing power.

You need to have a CPU of around 8-900 mhz plus to get the map to load correctly. Also, you need to be on Win 2k regardless. My machine at home is only a K6-2/500 and Wiz 8 was running really bad on it. I just redid my system with 2000, and now the game runs GREAT. Game play is fast, smooth and little slowdown, EXCEPT when using the map.

On some systems, the map will cause your memory to slowly get eaten up until your machine is all out of resources. At that point, you will hardly be able to move the cursor around. This happened to me on Win 98, but as Win2k manages memory better, this does not happen.

However, it still takes the map about 1-2 minutes to load the first time...its slooooooow. But, at work I have it on a PIII 933 with only 4 MB onboard video, and the game runs FLAWLESS. The graphics do not look that spectacular, but the map loads in just a few seconds.

So, from what I've learned, you need the following:

1. Windows 2000, hands down. Haven't tried XP or ME, anyone?
2. A fairly fast CPU (at least 8-900 mhz)
3. Video card - helps greatly, but CPU and OS come more into play

The map was just not programmed very effieciently, it eats up memory like no tomorrow.

Also, one of the earlier patches helps with map load times, have you installed it? I have not since I just love to pickpocket...it makes the game fun when you can steal Antone's Mantis Boots. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Best,

Scronan