Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 11:45 PM   #11
JulesWinnfield
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey I was curious, is this robe of vecna(regular not modified)in the game? I dont have any mods or anything if thats what its in loaded on my game.I'm almost thru ToB and I dont have it and cant remb ever seeing it.....thanx
JulesWinnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:40 AM   #12
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
It comes from the bonus merchant in the Adventurer's Mart, which came with the special edition SoA set. If you don't have that, I'm sure someone will link to it somewhere.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:21 AM   #13
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
As the Robe of Vecna is alarmingly powerful and profoundly enchanted, it would likewise require increasingly powerful magic to alter or enhance it. The Robe of Archmagi, by comparison, is rather tame... Enchanting a robe to increase Armor Class and Saving Throws like that would be a simple task for a mage of moderate power, and maybe sewing an Amulet of Magic Resistance in there somewhere- easy to create, easy to modify. Robe of Vecna, not so much at all.
Agreed. If it was possible to enchant items infinitely, everyone would be doing it. Robe of Vecna reached its current potential by being worn by the Lich God for a very long time and absorbing the background magic that flowed from him. It's not going to be a simple matter to improve it.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #14
Ilyich
Dungeon Master

Illumina and Iron Greasel.

Actually, I agree on more reagents needed for any improvements to Vecna to "stick" with all the latent magic present in the item. However, I do not agree with sacrificing a RoP +2 and the Ring of Acuity. In the Enhanced Alignment robes, the extra AC (from 5 to 3) and the +2 to saves would logically come from the magic contained in the Spirit Armour scroll and the Cloak, whilst the spells could likewise be said to come from the Contingency scroll.

So, I came up with an amended Enhanced Vecna.

Robe of Vecna
4 Cloaks of Protection +1
4 Scrolls of Spirit Armor
4 Scrolls of Contingency
Scroll of Chain Contingency
Character with a natural 18 Int. (If Rep. can be checked for Item Upgrades, maybe this can as well.)
50,000 Gold

The results.

Enhanched Robe of Vecna.
AC 3, +1 saves, +10% MR, improves casting speed by 4, 1 extra wizard spell at levels 1-4.

The reasoning is as follows. The cloaks and Spirit Armour scrolls would have enough latent protection magic to augment the AC by 2 and Saves by 1. The Contingency scrolls also would have enough magic to augment spellcasting in such a way. The extra reagents needed comes from the above critisisms. As for the Int, I've forgotten the precise reason for this, but it could be a roleplay opportunity.

As for Improved CFury, a Demon Heart (there are 3) and a Wand of Lightning are not really items of great value, like say, Carsomyr or the Staff of the Magi.

[ 12-08-2006, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Ilyich ]
Ilyich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:25 PM   #15
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Combine the Robe of Vecna, Amulet of Power, the Ring of Acuity and the Staff of the MAgi for the Ring of Ultimate Power!

Ring of Ultimate Power:
Robe of Vecna
Amulet of Power
Ring of Acuity
Staff of the Magi
1,000,000 gc

Mwa ha ha ha haaa...
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #16
Detherin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Heheh, I'd really like to know how you can make a ring out of a robe, an amulet, another ring a staff and 1 million little golden coins...

THAT would be a site to see, if you ask me...^_^.
Detherin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #17
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

More a sight to see than the powers of the ring?

I'm thinking so...
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:31 AM   #18
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrvias:
Combine the Robe of Vecna, Amulet of Power, the Ring of Acuity and the Staff of the MAgi for the Ring of Ultimate Power!

Ring of Ultimate Power:
Robe of Vecna
Amulet of Power
Ring of Acuity
Staff of the Magi
1,000,000 gc

Mwa ha ha ha haaa...
That would be the kind of item that the gods don't allow to be created because it would rend a hole into the multiverse and cause it to implode.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #19
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Two things.

Law of Diminishing Returns. You must always have to put more into a process than you get out of it: You cannot simply take five Daggers+1 and some arbitrary amount of gold, and suddenly go, "Hey, I've got a Dagger+5!" All upgrades should involve, at the very least, Potions/Scrolls/Gems that would be in character with the final item, and usually additional "base items:" For instance, if you're combining two named Cloaks into one, consider adding a CoP+1 in the list of ingredients, without boosting the final item accordingly.

The Anti-Munchkin Rule. The last thing BG2/ToB needs is MORE overpowered items. If you're going to upgrade something, do it to an item that doesn't get much play. Harbinger is a good example, as nobody likes the "Fireball Self" effect, and nobody cares about the "Petrify Ogres" effect as all it does is destroy loot anyway. But the Robe of Vecna don't need no friggin' upgrades. (Note: Upgrading overused weapons is fine as long as all you're doing is raising the enchantment level, to keep it useful against enemies with very strong weapon immunities.) And for the love of Gond, don't combine two high-power items into one. ("Hey, look at me, I made the FoA and CFaeyr into one item!")
Old 12-11-2006, 01:10 PM   #20
ZFR
Legion Symbol

What I'd like to see is weapons/items that have some "bad" effect besides good. Like Sixofspades said, there are already enough overpowered items.

Like mace of disruption upgraded with stone from A's lair to make shining mace of disruption, that has huge bonus against vampires, but has also a chance of blinding everyone else, including wielder and his party (maybe also blinds all drow/svirfneblin/druegar/any underdark dwellers automatically).