Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 10-14-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
Derfel Cadarn
Dungeon Master

Where's that damn Girdle that has +3 against slashing weaps?
Thx fer yer help.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I *hate* what BioWare did with this damn thing.

You can get the Girdle of Slashing if and ONLY if ALL of the following are true:
1) You are a Mage or Sorcerer.
2) You have not accepted any stronghold before doing the Planar Sphere.
3) You are roleplaying Good/Neutral while in the Sphere.
4) You do NOT take Prelate Wessalen's advice on sending the Paladin-like people to the place for Paladins.

Now, that reduces the number of games where the Girdle is obtainable rather dramatically, no? I'd say 15% of all games, tops. Add to this the fact that there is NO WAY IN HELL that an item that you could quite easily have carried over from BG1 could find its way into a sealed vehicle that hasn't even been on this plane of existence for hundreds of years.

My solution? Go to Byrnnlaw. Visit the Temple of Umberlee. Buy the Girdle of Bluntness. Drop it on the ground. CLUA in a Girdle of Slashing (I think it's BELT01). Leave happy.

The "Ritual" component of Weimer's Tactics mod also contains a Golden Girdle.

Each of these alternate ways of obtaining the Girdle makes about a million times more sense than the original BioWare implementation.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
Derfel Cadarn
Dungeon Master

Hehehe, thx a bunch Six.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:21 PM   #4
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Six, nice logic but..

It's not the same golden girdle, if you go though the game you'll find more than one girdle of bluntness..

Magic item's are named after the first one of it's type made, or by the first one of the type to become well known and any copy's of the item are known to scholers by that name.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:47 PM   #5
Derfel Cadarn
Dungeon Master

I think that Six had in mind that the closest (non-cheating) way to obtain the said Girdle of Slashing would be to pretend you are buying it from someone, like he said, buying the girdle of Bluntness and - through CLUAConsole - trading it fer the needed girdle of slashs, that way you wouldn't be just cheating the belt into your inventory...

[ 10-14-2004, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Derfel Cadarn ]
Old 10-15-2004, 08:11 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Q'alooaith:
Magic item's are named after the first one of it's type made, or by the first one of the type to become well known and any copy's of the item are known to scholers by that name.
I can understand there being multiple copies of an item that was thought to be unique during BG1: Heck, if it's a good item, and the enchantment can be duplicated, why not do so?

What I don't like are supposedly-unique-but-not-really items all having a Description that does not mention that other copies exist--such as the Boots of Speed.

What I dislike even more are supposedly unique items whose Description includes a highly detailed origin of the item, thus emphasizing the uniqueness of the item once again--the Ring of Protection+2 and Ring of Free Action both do this.

But what really takes the cake is how BioWare decided to take the "legitimate" copy of an item that the player in all likelihood carried over from BG1, and stick it in a place where it could not possibly have ended up. With the same Description that it had in BG1, no less.

Finding the Girdle of Slashing for sale in Brynnlaw, or on a corpse in some glade in Tethir, makes about a million times more sense than in the Planar Sphere.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:39 PM   #7
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Correct me if im wrong (i dont think i am, but meh) but im pretty sure i got the golden girdle from the Knights of Solmania (sp?) quest...
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:14 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by White Lancer:
Correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure i got the golden girdle from the Knights of Solmania (sp?) quest...
You aren't wrong, you did these things:
Quote:
1) You are a Mage or Sorcerer.
2) You have not accepted any stronghold before doing the Planar Sphere.
3) You are roleplaying Good/Neutral while in the Sphere.
4) You do NOT take Prelate Wessalen's advice on sending the Paladin-like people to the place for Paladins.
That gets you the Girdle.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:52 PM   #9
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

4a) you have the multiple strongholds mod, and did the above.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:40 AM   #10
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Nope, no multi-strongholds mod [img]smile.gif[/img] just out of interest (mostly because i dont remember) what was prelate whatsherface's suggestion?
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote