Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 04-23-2004, 10:35 AM   #1
Lymond
Manshoon

Arrow

I completed the temple quest, using the stone that allows you to walk right by the Dragon. On the way out, though, right after a quick save, I had to take him on. It didn't last long, because five out of six party members were almost immediately hopeless (I think- that orange face thing) and the one clear minded fighter wasn't able to scratch the Dragon, and soon died.

So what do people do about this guy? I'm on chapter three, so I imagine that later in the game, it would be an easier fight. Do people return to take him down? Or is it one of those things you just leave alone? The xp must be pretty good, and, you know, he's a dragon, so I'm looking for a fight.

One thing I'd like to try is casting protection from magic on him, before he turns hostile. Is that cheesy? I almost think it is, but I read about it related to the lich. That's not how I defeated the lich, but it seems to me, from a role-playing standpoint, that if you're a party of adventurers, you're going to hang around places where you meet other adventurers (like the Ironworks). In doing so, some guy is going to say, "Hey, I beat a lich once by casting protection from magic on him." Now here I am in a different situation thinking another magical creature may have the same weakness. But is it a weakness or a loophole in the game? A weakness I don't mind exploiting, but I'll avoid it if it's a loophole.

Lymond
Old 04-23-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Lymond:
I completed the temple quest, using the stone that allows you to walk right by the Dragon. On the way out, though, right after a quick save, I had to take him on. It didn't last long, because five out of six party members were almost immediately hopeless (I think- that orange face thing) and the one clear minded fighter wasn't able to scratch the Dragon, and soon died.
What's your party and which levels do they have?

Quote:

So what do people do about this guy? I'm on chapter three, so I imagine that later in the game, it would be an easier fight. Do people return to take him down? Or is it one of those things you just leave alone? The xp must be pretty good, and, you know, he's a dragon, so I'm looking for a fight.
I think you can probably take him on by now if you've done some of the quests but still see above for the levels of your party.

Quote:

One thing I'd like to try is casting protection from magic on him, before he turns hostile. Is that cheesy? I almost think it is, but I read about it related to the lich. That's not how I defeated the lich, but it seems to me, from a role-playing standpoint, that if you're a party of adventurers, you're going to hang around places where you meet other adventurers (like the Ironworks). In doing so, some guy is going to say, "Hey, I beat a lich once by casting protection from magic on him." Now here I am in a different situation thinking another magical creature may have the same weakness. But is it a weakness or a loophole in the game? A weakness I don't mind exploiting, but I'll avoid it if it's a loophole.
It's cheesy. I'm not sure if it's a loophole or weakness but I suppose the first one. Haven't played 2nd edition p&p so I wouldn't know if you're supposed to do something like that, but the chance seems rather small to me
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:53 AM   #3
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Even if you do cast Prot. from Magic on him, he'll still be a formidable opponent. Dragons have many attacks per round, dealing a respectible amount of damage. Im not sure if dragons can use their innate abilities(dragons breath, wing buffet, dragon fear etc.) while under the influence of Prot. From Magic, but if they can, your in for pretty much the same fight, minus the stoneskin, remove magic and greater malison.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

If with a low-mid lvl party (say 10-12), I think it's rather dangerous to throw a green scroll at the dragon; not only waste of the scroll, your fighters probably aren't good enough to deal serious damage yet, as Raistlin Majere has pointed out the attacking ability of dragons, they can eat your party alive if you cannot use magic on them.
Personally, I rely more on magic than on melee in all the dragon battles in the game (early or late, high or low lvl parties).

Shadow Dragon is probably the easiest dragon in the game (therefore you don't really get the dragon slaining exp you normally get), and so take her on early (with lvl 10-11 party, and Mazzy is definitely going to be just lvl 9 if you recruit her) in the game is no problem, and take her on later will be too easy a fight.

without knowing your party, but one universal pre-buff of dragon fight should definitely applied -- cast remove fear (cleric) or resist fear (wizard) before approaching the dragon (or if you recurit Mazzy, her invoke courage will do the same thing) and so your party can go in the combat with clear minds.

[ 04-23-2004, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: teardropmina ]
Old 04-23-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
And if you *don't* face the Shadow Dragon, you miss out on one of the most awesome weapons you can get in SoA... And if not for that, beat the dragon for yourself. There's no shame in running away until you're powerful enough to face it, remember that.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:51 PM   #6
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by teardropmina:

Shadow Dragon is probably the easiest dragon in the game (therefore you don't really get the dragon slaining exp you normally get),
The reason being that his breath weapon isnt an area effect type, but it can still do some heavy...damage, on your party members. Especially spell casters...

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:16 PM   #7
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

There have been quite a few generic threads on how to defeat various dragons. General strategies, as stated above (remove fear and other pre-buffs are a must). Chug down those potions of speed, giant strength, invulnerability, etc., this is when you use them -- otherwise they'll just clutter your inventory.

Use your tanks and summons to distract the opponent while archers fire away, mages take down defenses (look to see if the dragon casts stoneskins, they often do -- a simple breach early in the fight will let your fighters do a lot more damage). After one or two lower resistence spells and a greater malison, even lower level spells like magic missile, chromatic orb, melf's minute meteors, skull trap, etc. will whittle down the dragon's HP. Have clerics ready to heal or cast a holy smite. Keep sending in new summons when the old ones bite the dust. Pull back your frontliners when they get hurt and rotate in the healthy ones (for example, switch out Mazzy, Minsc, Valygar, etc. each of whom can serve as archers and tanks).

There are other strategies that may be specific to a particular dragon. For example, you probably shouldn't use fire-based spells on a red dragon, should you come across one .
Old 04-23-2004, 09:16 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Casting a Protection from Magic spell on a Dragon is a pretty dumb thing to do, actually, unless they somehow happen to be a Dragon that casts a lot of offensive spells.

Let's take a look at a Dragon onder the effects of a Protection from Magic scroll.....
Their claw attacks--nonmagical, so they can use it.
Their breath weapon--nonmagical, so they can use it.
Their wing buffet--nonmagical, so they can use it.
Your Lower Magic Resistance--magical, therefore blocked.
Your Greater Malison--magical, therefore blocked.
Your Finger of Death--magical, therefore blocked.
And so on, and so on.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:26 AM   #9
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

their stoneskin, magical so blocked..

It is possible to take down the shadow dragon with a starting party..

You need at least two half good tank's, I'd recomend the harper scum, as she's expendable and one of the demented rangers... Nalia make's a good spell slinger, aire fill's out healing and can double as a roadblock with stoneskin and so on..

Rounding out with the great and powerfull edwin (Edwina is slightly better shhh)

have charname sit back and watch the show, or help out if you want the NPC's to live... I normaly bring a bard to the party, but I'll start generaly.

You want spell's that boost moral first and formost, remove fear from aire is cheepest since you want the other's to have spell's in them slots.

Then you want bless, chant, and stoneskins on anyone who can cast it.

Enter the dragon's lair, and start summoning from all your caster's, make sure to summon them behind the dragon and have your tank's to the front either side but not attacking...

the dragon should spot the summon's and attack, quickly cast doom, magic missle, breach and get your tank's to attack.. Just keep the summon's behind the dragon and it should go after them mostly, the wing buffet's missing your chars..

Keep mages blasting fire arrow's and magic missles... You want to send minsc bezerk pretty early in the fight..

The harper want's to be stocked with heal spell's, don't waste many healing potion's on her.

Mages want to have a number of healing potion's in case they catch any flak.

Remember to read the info window, if the dragon has stoneskins up you'll need to breach before your tank's can do any damage, if your summon's die you'll soon start losing party members, so keep at them comming, skellys are pretty good since they melee, monster summoning 1 can do but rember they will die faster.

Expect to lose a couple of party members, it's not easy to take down a dragon, or it'd be dead already.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:24 AM   #10
Marcus Aurelius
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Of course, one advantage to waiting is that once you get a fighter with a whirlwind attack, you can use a breach to drop the stoneskin and go to town on him. It's nice when it works out.
Marcus Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote