Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2001, 05:33 PM   #1
Bowmarc

Having trouble defeating the Black Dragon. It was easier with Firekaag (sp?) and the Shadow because they didn't attack immediately. Anyone have any hints on how to defeat the creature that already wants to attack ?

Old 01-15-2001, 09:04 PM   #2
Magness
Quintesson

If you're fighting the Black Dragon (BD), then you're very late in the game and should have a very tough party, regardless of its members.

I just wiped out the BD last night using the following strategy.

Upon entering the BD's area, don't move!!!

Summon the 5 toughest controlable creatures you can. Elementals, arial servants, invisible stalkers, etc.

Now cast Haste and Bless on the entire party.

Send the 5 allies and your fighters at the BD.

Hit the BD with everything you've got!!!

I've used this strategy with 2 different parties with great success. 5 hasted tough sumoned monsters overwhelm the poor ole' black dragon.
Old 01-15-2001, 09:42 PM   #3
Armisael

I agree. If all else fails, get someone else to do it. I've also heard you can summon more than five creatures at once using Project Image. Throw in some skeletal warriors and you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Old 01-15-2001, 10:55 PM   #4
The-Shark

The other thing you want to remember to do is to keep your party spread out so that Godzilla Breath can't hit all of you with a radius attack.

Old 01-15-2001, 10:57 PM   #5
Armisael

What kind of a breath weapon does the black dragon have, anyway?

Old 01-20-2001, 09:58 AM   #6
Psynapse

I killed him today with 14th lvl Pld, F/C 12/12, F/M/T 11/12/14, and M/C 12/12

I probably only needed the F/C and M/C becuase what I did was very simple. I Cast all the protective magic I could, charm, bless, haste, stoneskin, invis, defensive harmony, on the party. Then walked up to the dragon and cast lower resistance 3 times, wiping out his magic resistance. While I was doing that my F/C cast the 6th level spell harm and attacked. After a bit of a battle, he did eventually hit the dragon with harm, reducing it to 1hp (there is no save). I then blasted it with magic missile (no save) and it died. You do have to find a strategy to deal with the attacks, and scattering the party is a good one. Make sure whoever is currently targeted by the dragon is LEGGING IT hopefully while the others are doing something useful with their limited time alive If your party can cast harm, and your cleric has decent thac0, (mine had 7 base) you should get a hit.

Old 01-20-2001, 10:05 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Armisael - acid.

Which is what my stomach feels like - too much alcohol tonight
Old 01-20-2001, 11:26 AM   #8
Arak

Hmm - thats a bit unruling, often ppl on this board complains about too much alcohol. Is this game driving us into old king alcohols claws? and in the middle of the week even.
no save it for the weekend and thus make an immense amount of beer justyfied.

Old 01-20-2001, 11:48 AM   #9
BLACK KNIGHT

Memnoch . . . I am having problems understanding your last post . . . it looks like English. I understand the words by themselves . . . too . . . much . . . alcohol . . . but when you put them together . . . Must get lost in the translation . . .

BK

Old 01-20-2001, 01:06 PM   #10
deathblow

Also if you have the ring of ram, you can hit him for another 20 - 30 hp. Every little bit counts.