Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Exclamation A Million people hit by 'Plague Worse than the Swine Flu' in the Ukraine.

Here we go. Been watching this 'tiny' story for over a Month now. The main stream media hasn't even spoken about it here in the US, but this is 'it' guys. H1N1 has mutated as I knew it would.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...than-swine-flu

USA Media doesn't seem to give a crap unless we are hit with something.. Don't they understand what happens anywhere can be HERE in a simple plane trip?

Keep your eyes open, wash your hands, get some of that purell stuff--just don't go overboard Being
'too clean' can make you more susceptible too. lovely, eh?

Anyone out of the USA getting this news?

Quote:
Russia, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary and Romania, countries that border Ukraine, have already launched health checks on Ukrainians entering their territory.
Slovakia has closed two of five border crossings.
Wow...

The WHO needs to get samples and a vaccine for this fast..

What worries me is this:
"ANTI-RUSSIAN AREA OF UKRAINE WORST"

Wonder if Russia created this? I wouldn't put it past them these days. Russia would love nothing less than reclaiming their breakaway states.

Anyway, if anyone has any news on it, post it here...

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:25 AM   #2
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Default Re: A Million people hit by 'Plague Worse than the Swine Flu' in the Ukraine.

That article reads like the Pandemic news feed. Wonder when Madagascar is going to wise up and close its shipyards...

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
Hindsight
The Magister

Default Re: A Million people hit by 'Plague Worse than the Swine Flu' in the Ukraine.

I think always something will come to threaten us. When was last time you hear news of AIDS, VD, smalpox, diarrhea...? Lucky, after 2012 non will matter.
Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

I wouldn't know what to make of it.
I seriously doubt there's any evil intent behind the outbreaks like attempted genocide, aerial spraying of virus or vaccin, or an effort to delay elections, though I'm sure the latter'll suit some politicians just the same. An accident of course is always possible, yet I don't see how that would grow out of control so much if nothing else was wrong.
The sheer amount of people said to be infected suggests that the virus(?) has been active for quite a few weeks now without being contained, supposedly because people would rather eat chicken soup than visit a doctor, or because of increased infectivity.

Then there's talk of swine flu, mutated swine flu, three other flues, and an offshoot of the black plague, any or all of which could be active, though I expect only one of them causes so much damage to the lungs.
Because most of the ill and dead haven't been tested for what got them (or the figures are just not known) it's rather difficult to tell what's what.
According to the WHO at least some of the deaths are from swine flu, whilst in another article about the spread to China it's claimed antibiotics are an effective treatment to this pneumonic plague, which would in fact suggest it's not a virus at all, but bacterial.

I'm afraid Ukraine's president and opposition, Russia, China, the WHO, local healthcare officials, conspiracy theorists, various virologists and others will continue to send out conflicting statements for some time before we'll get a good idea of what's really going on.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 07:47 AM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
tFrom article:
...three causes of serious viral infections came together simultaneously in Ukraine – two seasonal flus and the Californian flu

Any reason the Swine/H1N1/Mexican flu is now being called "Californian" as if it originated here?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

Apparently, it may have.
Here's one article from May 1st talking about that.
I do know that giving it five different names doesn't make things any clearer!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

This is just what we need. More crap to throw on everyone. What ever happend to not inciting mass hysteria?

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

I'm not hysterical. Really,,, not,,, HYSTERICAL........OKKKKKK!?!

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrowArchmage View Post
This is just what we need. More crap to throw on everyone. What ever happend to not inciting mass hysteria?
That doesn't sell any more. Remember nearly all media outlets are a business at heart, so they want to attract as many viewers as possible. Ridiculous media hype will get those viewers.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: A Million people hit by 'Plague Worse than the Swine Flu' in the Ukraine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretMaster View Post
That doesn't sell any more. Remember nearly all media outlets are a business at heart, so they want to attract as many viewers as possible. Ridiculous media hype will get those viewers.
100% agree.