Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Anti-depressants and similar drugs - Good idea or bad idea?
Good 5 27.78%
Bad 8 44.44%
No opinion 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

Default Re: Drugs

The way I see it, some people really could benefit from those kinds of drugs, but on the other hand I also think that some care providers are just lazy and throw pills at everything.

I have low grade asthma and for a while the docs kept trying to push me into using steriod inhalers, but there was a better solution for me (still involved taking a drug, but the side effects are minimal/non-existent for me).

Basically only you know what's right for you as far as anti-depressant measures. It's entirely possible that you don't need them unless you have some kind of severe manic depression. I have a friend who takes them, but he as much says he needs them to keep equilibrium, and his judgment on the matter is solid (that is, he really is one of the people who benefit from it).

If you don't think the drugs are a good idea, I'm inclined to say that there's a pretty high probability that you don't need them and you've got a councilor who's just being lazy.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Mkay?
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #13
SecretMaster
Apophis

I am in no way to give a qualified opinion as psychology/premed isn't my field of study. I'd be interested in what the more qualified IW residents have to say (maybe Aelia Julsa, isn't she in the medical profession?).

However, from what I've seen with many individuals I know, anti-depressents often do very little/worsen situations. I know a handful of individuals who are on anti depressents and they are just as miserable and depressed, if not even worse off mentality wise.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 PM   #14
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

It's a very much a case specific issue. The anti-depressents are meant to deal with a chemical imbalance in the brain. If that's not the cause of your depression, then the drugs are a bad idea. First set of meds they put my mom on, she continued to feel horrible, when she didn't feel horrible, she was simply numb. One day she downed like a week or two's worth of her meds in one dose, and we had to call 911.

She made it through, and they changed her meds, and now as long as she stays on top of it, she's ok.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:22 AM   #15
Legolas
Jack Burton

I'm going to go ahead and say it may well be a good idea to take medication.
You'll probably have to take them for at least six months or more, it may well take a while before you start noticing beneficial effects and depending on the individual you might have to try a variety of drugs in succession to find one your body tolerates well.
Most often antidepressant medication fails because it's not taken properly or at all when prescribed, which isn't surprising if you consider side effects are common, depression doesn't help your motivation and effect takes time to kick in.

If you are fortunate to have a good number of what are probably cognitive therapy sessions with a skilled therapist, that alone can be as effective as any antidepressant. Skill levels vary though, as does the frequency.
There is a strong indication of added value however. Especially in more severe cases of depression a combination of drugs and therapy can be more effective than one component alone.

I'm no expert nor familiar with your individual case, but I'd say fear of the pills is not necessarily justified.
Ask your therapist about the different antidepressants and what you can expect from them in terms of benefit and trouble. They'll be the best qualified person to discuss your worries and treatment options. Just don't be satisfied with any random answer and dig a little.
If you do start, know there are many different variants and some trial and error may well get you one that works for you.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:38 AM   #16
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Drugs... A tricky subject, but they certainly have their uses, and no matter what we say, without them, there are certain people whose lives would be hell.

A few years ago, my mother had a seizure and then more seizures after being diagnosed with Encephalitis, the treatment was long and hard and it was still a rare and hard to treat disease, and in the end she had to be put on a nasty set of drugs to prevent further seizures, they were known to cause side effects like depression though so she was also put on a heavy dose of anti-depressants.

However they also have side-effects and she was always drowsy, tired, and lost massive ammount of weight which she could never recover.

My best friend was also put on anti-depressants and while it most likely prevented him doing some very dangerous, it comes back to a quality of life question, he was also drowsy, unresponsive, uncaring, not depressed, but still could not find enjoyment in anything and had a generally sh**y time. It also led to him losing his job.

I'm guessing this doesn't relate to your situation, but from what I have seen, anti-depressants may prevent the worst from overcoming someone, but they can also make things pretty crap for yourself and everyone you know.

Just my opinion from seeing the effects on two different people with two different types of the drug.

But saying that, there are different drugs and they likely effect everyone differently, they may really be a good idea, especially if the person prescribing them knows what he/she is talking about.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 AM   #17
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

From what I have seen of anti-depressants, they don't work. Seevral friends of mine have been on them. One has got worse, one got so bad while she was on them that she stopped taking them, and one became so miserable she tried to overdose herself. So I know I'm biased.

I handed in a form today saying when I am free to have regular counselling sessions. And until I get them, I am not going to go on medication. When I'm having them... Who knows. So any input would still be welcomed.
However. I have been told I may not get any more counselling until next year. I don't know if they mean acedemic year, or 2010, but either way I may be looking at a 6 - 12 month wait.

But hey. At least now I'm taking steps to get better, rather than what I did before (ignore it, cope the best I can and hope it goes away).

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:48 AM   #18
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Drugs

I know a woman who gets sobby and depressed when she takes anti-depressants. But in her case I think it's only a mental reaction due to bias. She's convinced anti-depressants are only for crazy people.

Listening to her she becomes sobby and depressed a couple of hours after taking one. But I was under the impression it took days and weeks before it could create any effect in someone.

Personally I don't know if they work or not, but I think many people let themselves get influenced by the negative image of taking anti-depressants. The way I see it, whatever effect they have is not permanent so it's worth giving it a try and going through the full treatment. You can't comment on their effectiveness unless you go all the way with it. Of course it's not going to work if you just take them a couple of days and then decides they're "not for you".

Until your system adjust you may very feel worse, but then after that maybe it'll work it's magic. There's only one way to find out.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:28 AM   #19
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Here is a nice "Spring" picture, taken just moments ago, from my front door.

..sure to cheer anyone up!

Last edited by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood; 03-31-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:13 AM   #20
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Cool Dude Re: Drugs

Florida in two days, baby!!!!!!

Sorry, Variol... we had a bit of snow on Saturday, and I am *SO* done with it... better you than me

You can just rub it in when you get to Cancun

DS, it sounds like you're making smart moves. If you can't get more counselling at school, though, check for other alternatives... agencies and such. And though it may be hard, consider even checking with your parents. They should be willing to foot the bill for counselling sessions and such, although they may want to exert some control.

And yes, I do remember what it was like to escape from home and never want to go back to living under *their* control. I did find out later that they really cared, in their own strange and twisted ways. Some more twisted than others... and occasionally not the way I wanted to be cared for.

If they're part of the problem, though, that might be a different story. See? This is why knowing the *whole* story is so important, and why it's hard to diagnose/support/etc from afar.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote