Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-10-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Just ran across this article. Pretty wild concept, considering we usually think of gaming as a sedentary passtime! Not sure it's the answer to weight loss for most people, though, but if it helps a few get moving, I guess that's good.

Seems like they are trying to invent a 'technology' for just about everything these days.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Entrepreneurs bet on 'exergaming' future

By RACHEL KONRAD, Associated Press
Last updated: 8:56 p.m., Sunday, January 9, 2005

LAS VEGAS -- Consumer electronics companies commonly cater to couch potatoes by pitching bigger television sets, more mesmerizing video games and remote controls that can even place online orders for pizza. But a small cadre of entrepreneurs at the world's largest technology exposition hope their gizmos make you work up a sweat.
Company executives insist that "exergaming" or "exertainment" -- the marriage of physical exercise and video gaming -- is becoming a hot new niche, and the most bullish aficionados say it might even help reduce the nation's obesity epidemic.

The four-day International Consumer Electronics Show, which ended Sunday, sponsored its first-ever "Cardio PlayZone" section for fitness-themed companies.

The PlayZone was tucked into a back corner of a tent outside the main convention center, far from the gargantuan exhibits by Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and other popular brands.

Although scents reminiscent of a gym sometimes wafted out of the zone, the jam-packed area was popular with retailers and analysts. Six exhibitors -- many startups new to CES -- showed off digital putting greens, optical sensors in miniature dance floors, biofeedback devices and cutting-edge workout contraptions.

One race car simulation contraption -- "Kilowatt SPORT" from Laurel, Md.-based startup Powergrid Fitness Inc. -- looked similar to a NordicTrack cross-country ski machine hooked up to a wide-screen plasma television.

Moving the hand controls while trying to stand up straight on the $800 machine requires extensive flexing of the muscles in the arms, back, abdominal area and thighs.

But most of the PlayZone devices, often played on PlayStations and Xboxes, didn't feel like exercise at all -- exactly what many exertainment companies like to hear.

"The most common question I get is, 'How is this exercise? I just don't see how this is a workout,'" said Abigail Whitting, customer support manager for Kilowatt, which won a CES innovation award. "But it will tone you. It is a workout."

Some exertainment executives say their gizmos can help trim the nation's expanding waistline -- especially among children, who might be tricked into working out if they think they're merely playing a video game.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 16 percent of boys and 14.5 percent of girls ages 6 to 11 were obese in 1999 and 2000, the latest years studied. That compares with 4.3 percent of boys and 3.6 percent of girls from 1971 to 1974. A sedentary lifestyle was a big contributor to the increase, the CDC said.

"If anything can get your kids off the couch, this is it," said Shawn Clement, North American sales manager for Electric-Spin Corp., the Canadian maker of the $249 "Golf LaunchPad." "The whole idea is to get physical, not get lazy."

LaunchPad includes a small putting green with optical sensors within the turf and a tethered, regulation-weight ball that players knock off a standard tee. Players use their own clubs.

Its software has a swing analysis to measure the ball's speed, curve path and other statistics based on the club's trajectory. Serious players may disconnect the tether and use a real ball at an outdoor course, then get real-time analysis of each swing from a laptop computer.

"This is a great way to promote activity," Clement said. "It's not just your average video game."

But medical experts are skeptical. Although they applaud manufacturers for getting people off the couch, they caution against relying on technology alone to slim and tone the record number of out-of-shape Americans. They say individuals, communities, private industry and governments should work together to tackle the problem.

"These video games are certainly helpful but they're not going to solve the obesity epidemic because it's simply too overwhelming," said Frank Hu, a professor of nutrition and epidemiology at Harvard.

Hu authored a study published last month of 116,500 women, finding that people who were physically active but obese were almost twice as likely to die as those who were both active and lean. The Harvard report contradicted a popular notion that exercise alone -- regardless of weight or diet -- is enough to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

But experts' pessimism didn't dampen enthusiasm of Jason Enos, product manager for Konami Digital Entertainment, who soaked through his T-shirt after hours of demonstrating his company's smash hit, "Dance Dance Revolution." Players tap their feet to the correct circle on a floor pad, based on cues on the screen.

Advanced levels require fancy footwork, but players work up a sweat even on the easiest level. Players may enter height and weight to determine calories burned per minute, and they may compete against 15 other people worldwide.

Since December 2003, the Japanese company has sold more than 2 million copies of the game -- a teen phenomenon at Japanese and American arcades in the early '90s -- for Sony Corp.'s PlayStation systems. The software and plastic floor mat sell for $60.

"It's definitely a workout, and it's not nearly as boring as a stationary bike," said Enos, wiping sweat from his brow. "It breaks the mold of the passive video game genre."
Old 01-10-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... interesting. I'm trying to figure out how to put a computer within reach of my treadmill. I figure if I game while walking, I won't notice the walking, and I will get a couple of hours of exercise every night. I think the results will be tremendous.

Follow that with some walking while I check my emails in the morning, and I'll add another hour into it. I'll look like Fabio -- except without the long blond hair, the rippling pecs, the washboard abs, and the lucrative romance novel cover contract.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Enos ? That wouldn't happen to be THE Enos from Hazard County wouldn't it ? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2005, 01:07 PM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

[img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] Well, Bungleau I used to have some videotapes of the countryside moving along as if you were driving/riding through it that you were supposed to play while riding a stationary bike.

I think they had some for treadmill users too, but the downside would be not accessing your email...well unless you have webtv or something!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm not talking TV, Cloudy -- that's easily enough done. I'm talking setting up a keyboard and mouse so I can use them while using the treadmill, and setting up a monitor where I can see it easily. If I want to surf, check email, or game, it's all possible...

That's my next vision of paradise, now that I've got my fill of M&Ms
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:15 AM   #6
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Bah, all the exercise I need is clenching my butt cheeks a couple of hundred times while gaming.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
I'm not talking TV, Cloudy -- that's easily enough done. I'm talking setting up a keyboard and mouse so I can use them while using the treadmill, and setting up a monitor where I can see it easily. If I want to surf, check email, or game, it's all possible...

That's my next vision of paradise, now that I've got my fill of M&Ms
I was thinking it would be hard to find the right table to hold the mouse/keyboard while you walked on a treadmill...it'd have to bounce a little as you walked... LOL, well, there's your new career, just invent the system! [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] *wonders if Bungleau can toss M&M's into his mouth and walk at the same time*

Jaradu... eef, there's an image I am not sure I wanted to have! [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 01:06 PM   #8
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

I've got it!!!!

Rig up one of those bass drum harneses with a shelf and get a wireless keyboard and mouse. And if you think you'll have trouble reading the monitor, you can purchase an LCD projector so you can see everything life size.

So when you are not working out you can feel like you're in the sword coast, or the undermountain........

SWEET!!!

You Can Not Hide
Old 01-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #9
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Hu authored a study published last month of 116,500 women, finding that people who were physically active but obese were almost twice as likely to die as those who were both active and lean.
Assuming that 'people who are physically active but obese' have a 100% chance of dying, does this mean that people 'who are both active and lean' have a 50% chance of living forever?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #10
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Ooooooh, that's a good one Meg...