Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-11-2003, 05:35 AM   #71
DJG
Symbol of Cyric

I can't stand McDonalds food!

[ 06-11-2003, 05:36 AM: Message edited by: DJG ]
Old 06-11-2003, 05:39 AM   #72
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
Most think that americans are money grabing look out world here I come SOB's. But most outsiders just don't see that our families are just like theirs except for one thing. WE ARE FREE!! we do what we want, we tell our government how we want to be lead and who we want to lead us...

If anybody really wants to join our hive and help us make honey we will welcome you if you come in the front door and let us know your here to become part of the biggest f--ing bee this world has ever known. But don't sneek in the back door and try to strip our honey comb dry from the inside or you may just meet that great big flag waving john wayne loving Rambo size bee looking to kick your sneeky honey stealing ass right to HELL!!
Somebody's got a bee in his bonnet. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Anyway, I think America has got a lot of freedoms, sure, and I've lived all over the world. Here in Thailand we've got some censorship and limited freedom of the press. Corruption is rife. But have a look at what little Johnnie Ashcroft is doing, look at the people at Guantanamo or all of the quiet legislation that has been passed in congress since 9/11...then you tell me, how many freedoms are you willing to give up in order to protect your freedom?

And I really don't know about that bee hive metaphor. Maybe we could look at it like a giant cup cake instead? Mmm...cream filling.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:42 AM   #73
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by TheCrimsomBlade:
I came close to dieing for this country more than once and I'd do it again if it needed me!!!
Alot of people on this planet just don't understsnd what america is all about.
Most think that americans are money grabing look out world here I come SOB's. But most outsiders just don't see that our families are just like theirs except for one thing. WE ARE FREE!! we do what we want, we tell our government how we want to be lead and who we want to lead us. You could look at america as a big bee hive. The people in it as a bunch of bees all going in different directions at the same time, all doing different things living our lives not really conserned about the other bees.
In the hive we produce alot of honey and if an outsider really needs some,well we will give it to them and most of the time not ask for even half as much in return and sometime we don't ask for anything but their friendship in return. Now if somebody comes up to our hive and gives it a kick and tries to steal some of our honey, well every Bee in the hive is going to join together as one great big bee and do some serious stinging. Oh and one more thing. If anybody really wants to join our hive and help us make honey we will welcome you if you come in the front door and let us know your here to become part of the biggest f--ing bee this world has ever known. But don't sneek in the back door and try to strip our honey comb dry from the inside or you may just meet that great big flag waving john wayne loving Rambo size bee looking to kick your sneeky honey stealing ass right to HELL!! and yes I'd go back for our FLAG even if it killed me and so would a hell of alot of us. Why? BECAUSE IT'S OUR FLAG!!!! and If you want it your going to have to rip it out of our bloody dead hands.
The case for the prosecution rests M'lud!

Now before I Timber Loftis accuses me of being a smartarse I'll get serious. I'm guessing that most members outside the USA (except johnny of course) will see this as being over the top with reference to patriotism.

Although the majority of US members may agree in principle with the sentiments given I think even they may agree it's OTT.

In particular, this phrase "But most outsiders just don't see that our families are just like theirs except for one thing. WE ARE FREE!! we do what we want, we tell our government how we want to be lead and who we want to lead us."

Does the poster believe that we in Europe don't have and cherish the same freedom?

Or this, "Why? BECAUSE IT'S OUR FLAG!!!! and If you want it your going to have to rip it out of our bloody dead hands"

What would I want with an American flag with blood all over it?

This isn't patriotism, it's rampant nationalism.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 06-11-2003, 10:10 AM   #74
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I agree TheCrimsonBlade's post was rife with nationalism. It's nationalism, not patriotism, because it uses metaphor and anger to make a point, and has basically no reasoning whatsoever.

The one underlying facts ("WE ARE FREE") on which it is based shows me that TheCrimsonBlade likely hasn't travelled much outside of the US. The Phillipines are free -- they even have a "right to a clean environment" in their constitution. The UK is free. So is Switzerland. Though it's rife with strife due to money shortages, Argentina is about as "free" as the US is. Trying to identify the freedoms we have in the US that other countries generally don't is a very difficult thing to do.

So, get a clue folks. The US may have been first out of the gate, but we currently do not have a monopoly on Freedom.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:36 PM   #75
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
It's a question of syntax. I'm saying that you have a poor opinion of the English not that your opinion is 'poor'! I don't know if I agree or disagree because you didn't give an opinion. You shouldn't feel the need to lash out every time you feel your country has been slighted.

Is that how you look at it? Lashing out because I feel my country is slighted? Thats not how I look at it, more of defending my country becuase its getting derogotory comments said about it. Much like somebody would defend a friend.

But where did I say I took hollywood seriously? [/QB]
That wasnt directed at you, it was dierected at Beaumanoir.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 06-11-2003, 09:16 PM   #76
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I agree TheCrimsonBlade's post was rife with nationalism. It's nationalism, not patriotism, because it uses metaphor and anger to make a point, and has basically no reasoning whatsoever.

The one underlying facts ("WE ARE FREE") on which it is based shows me that TheCrimsonBlade likely hasn't travelled much outside of the US. The Phillipines are free -- they even have a "right to a clean environment" in their constitution. The UK is free. So is Switzerland. Though it's rife with strife due to money shortages, Argentina is about as "free" as the US is. Trying to identify the freedoms we have in the US that other countries generally don't is a very difficult thing to do.

So, get a clue folks. The US may have been first out of the gate, but we currently do not have a monopoly on Freedom.
Yeah was going to say i don't think he realizes that their are probably at least fifty or sixty other countries that are 'FREE' like the US and some even moreso.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:52 AM   #77
Link
Jack Burton

The Independence Day speech brings back some memories Usually that part makes me go: "Oh come on!" when sitting in front of the telly, because it is so incredibly cheesy. It's not that I feel bad about it.. more ashamed of a kind, I don't know why, but it really makes me feel eerie. Wonder why though, because it isn't that important to me personally... [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]

Goal: Beijing 2008