Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-29-2003, 03:43 PM   #11
Lavindathar
Harper

I still walk with teh rememberance parade every year. One of the few teenagers.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:31 PM   #12
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
qb]No bashing of americans, just the way some of you try to make money of *EVERYTHING*!!! Usually by injecting people first with strong emotions, like pride, fear or patriotism.

I'm just sick of it... sorry.

And yes we have advertising in Iceland... but they usually try not to sell there products based on tragedies, for instance, if a plane would hit a mall here or a big building... you'd probably not see a trade card game made out of it.

Try to show some respect...
Uhhh..Call me an idiot, but those little links at the bottom of the page I dont think had anything to do with the message of the page.
You didnt answer my question, BTW.[/QB][/QUOTE]Yes I did... read it again... and that was my point. I'd have no trouble with this page if it had just been there to salute this great soldier if those little links at the bottom of the page were not there... the message of the page is *BUY!!!* The salute to the soldier is just an underline...
And I'm not going to call you an idiot... just hope you respect my opinion. You don't have to agree with me, just hear me out...

[ 01-29-2003, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Jorath Calar ]
Old 01-29-2003, 04:36 PM   #13
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I don't get what's so wrong with people buying advertising space on a website or selling your wares. Since when did being a merchant equate to greed? Now, I admit capitalizing on the 9/11 dead bothered me immediately, beginning with the Yellow/Black "Attack on America" logo CNN came up with. Now theres "Countdown in Iraq."

But, all in all, you can't stop advertising - and shouldn't. Without it, hell, the world wouldn't have ever known about Chia-Pet or the amazing beer holder hats.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:44 PM   #14
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I don't get what's so wrong with people buying advertising space on a website or selling your wares. Since when did being a merchant equate to greed? Now, I admit capitalizing on the 9/11 dead bothered me immediately, beginning with the Yellow/Black "Attack on America" logo CNN came up with. Now theres "Countdown in Iraq."

But, all in all, you can't stop advertising - and shouldn't. Without it, hell, the world wouldn't have ever known about Chia-Pet or the amazing beer holder hats.
Nothing wrong with it... as long as it's not done to capitilize on peoples feelings... Merchant doesn't = Greed but there is something caslled "ethics" that people should have the decency to follow...

By the way, do you know any sites that sells one of those Beerholder hats... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2003, 05:41 PM   #15
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
there is something caslled "ethics" that people should have the decency to follow...

I dont mean to sound like I am flaming here, but dont you think there is alot of hypocrisy in your last few posts?

I mean, first yelling out hypocrisy when it is a page that is saluating a soldier, that has some advertisments at the bottom of the page, that I doubt gets that many clicks anyway.

And then saying people should have dencency and ethics. It seems like hypocrisy to me.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 01-29-2003, 06:36 PM   #16
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I agree with both sides, tragedy shouldn't be exploited to sell things, I can understand showing tragedy to send a message, for example in a play, but that message should not be "buy --- product."

However- I expect that as the URL doesn't seem to be that of a free provider, he is paying for that webspace- and *needs* to put adverts up to keep it there.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:54 PM   #17
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

As annoying as some advertising is, and as unscrupulous as some advertisers seem, one thing they do do, is pay for, or at least subsidise the cost of, many causes that would never see the light of day without it.

Back On Topic, it is a picture worth contemplating. Our Anzac Day marches (like Veteran's Day) in Australia have actually grown recently as the younger generations take a strong interest. One thing that's been allowed is for a family member of a deceased service person to march in their place - and they are allowed to wear their medals.
Many people have taken to doing this as a tribute to the memory of their loved one who served their country.

Do the USA's parades allow this kind of interaction?