Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-07-2001, 12:50 AM   #1
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

SPOILERS THOUGHOUT
OK, I just finished my solo game as an Archer.

My first observation: I will NEVERuse the exp cap remover again. I finished at Level 29, with 161 HP, and the game was laughably easy by the end.

I killed Nizidramanii'yt (the Black Dragon) after taking only 32 points of damage myself, and completed HELL without losing a single HP! All five tears (did lose the exp points, HP, and Dex point in the Sacrifice one) four demons, and Jon as the Slayer. Didn't touch me. I used the Archer's "run-and-shoot" offense, and did not get hit once. No fun at all.

I started noticing the "lameness" factor of the cheat at level 19, but by then, I couldn't remove the exp cap remover without screwing up the game.

I won't use this character in the expansion. I'm going to play the same character again (I exported him as soon as I started the game), WITH the exp cap.

Also, I'm always talkin trash about not cheating, and this is a good lesson I learned. The cheat really took a lot of fun away.

Now, some cool stuff.

As you may know, I wanted to "role-play" an elven Archer like in Tolkien's world. They respected the blades and bows, and despised the hammer and axe (from their animosity of dwarves, and the damage done to forests with them) so I kept my weapons limited to bows, long-swords, and katanas.

I was worried about the vampires. No problem, the Arrows +2 work well on them, and if they get too close, Daystar dual-wielded with Flame-Tongue did the trick. I was open to Level-Drain, but carried Restoration scrolls. Not the easiest solution, but it worked in the rules that I had set.

The biggest problem I had were Golems. Iron, Adamantium, and Clay. The Iron and Adamantium I was able to hurt with Daystar, and dual-wielding Celestial Fury could stun them, letting me whittle them down. AND I MEAN WHITTLE. 2 or 3 hp per hit, only. I drank many a health potion, and ran into many buildings and let my regeneration ring bring me back. It took FOREVER !

Clay golems. different story. NEED a blunt weapon to hit them. Throughout the game, I would just Stealth by them, and sneak away. In Suldanessar, you need an item in a room with 2 stone, and 1 clay golems. As soon as you grab the item, they rush you, and will chase you out of the building, and anywhere else you go. A major puzzle.

The solution: Ring of Earth Control. The Charm Earth Elemental works on clay golems !!!! I charmed him, sent him against the 2 stone ones, and they beat him down. I took them out after.

So, I was able to finish the game within my rules. This time, I am keeping the exp cap, and will enjoy the challenge. I'm also going for a speed game, so I would enjoy comments on the fastest times you've finished in. I'm not trying to compete, I just want an idea on what I can expect.

Thanks for reading !

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Phil

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 05-07-2001).]
Old 05-07-2001, 01:03 AM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Good stuff!!

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 05-07-2001, 01:13 AM   #3
Bristowe
Elminster

Yeah, full on!

------------------
Yes indeed...
Old 05-07-2001, 08:13 AM   #4
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

a very basic game of mine ive done wasnt a solo but i didnt do any side quests except for weapons i needed. didnt fight kangaxx..etc i finished it in about 4 and 3/4 hours by far the fastest ive doine may not be fast compared to some peoples but its the only really speed game ive played
Old 05-07-2001, 08:26 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Glad you persisted with it and succeeded, especially given the tough role-play limits you were using - very admirable course of action. Well done!

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Old 05-07-2001, 05:51 PM   #6
EseerFalconheart
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How did you get by traps? I was thinking of trying that and I couldnt figure out how you would get by traps.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:08 PM   #7
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by EseerFalconheart:
How did you get by traps? I was thinking of trying that and I couldnt figure out how you would get by traps.
Rangers get the cleric spell "Find Traps" using that, I could slip by many of them. After a while, it was just easier to take the hit. No probs.

Opening locked doors and chests was a problem, though. At first I could just cal on "Godly Might", but after I lost inherant abilities, I was screwed, so I just forgot about them.

------------------

The RudeDawg

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 05-07-2001).]
Old 05-07-2001, 08:57 PM   #8
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
love your sig RudeDawg,which is pamila and whish is phil?

as for your questions,i have never played speed game

[This message has been edited by Grand-Ranger (edited 05-07-2001).]
Old 05-07-2001, 09:01 PM   #9
Halbred
The Magister

wow your girlfriends name is Phil... what's her sister's name bob or maybe george =) j/k
Old 05-07-2001, 09:58 PM   #10
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Grand-Ranger:
love your sig RudeDawg,which is pamila and whish is phil?

as for your questions,i have never played speed game

[This message has been edited by Grand-Ranger (edited 05-07-2001).]
Pam is the brunette, Phil has the blue anttenae...

they're characters from a comic, and an inside joke on the GD forum...

------------------

The RudeDawg