Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-26-2001, 08:56 AM   #1
bodhidharma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

What is the best spell to use on Golems to take away their magic resistance so that I can use some spells on them? I have tried Breach, SPell thrust and Lower resistance (which works to some effect), but my spells still don't do the damage that they could. I need some assistance please. . .
Old 03-26-2001, 09:20 AM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Golem is the type of creature that you need to get up close and personal with, you can only memorized so many lower resistance spells. Generally you need +2 or better weapons to hurt them, some needs +3, the clay needs magical blunt weapons.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-26-2001, 05:50 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The Wand of Cloudkill is just about the only AOE spell that works on golems. Breach or Spell Thrust won't do anything as they're not protected by spells but by natural MR which is very high. Your best bet would be to cast Lower Resistance a few times, then Greater Malison, then an instant kill spell like Finger of Death (or anything that will force them to make a saving throw).

Evocation spells like magic missile, flame arrow etc are fairly useless against them.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 03-26-2001, 08:54 PM   #4
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Let me offer these words...

First of all, I would recommend that you just send your tanks in and open up a can o' whoop-ass on 'em. They won't last long.

However, if you must use spells, there is a strategy that is often overlooked. You can cast "Magic Resistance" (*not* Lower Resistance) on the enemy. What this does is grants the recipient MR equal to 2% times the level of the caster (i.e. 10th level mage casting MR on someone grants 20% MR to the recipient). Now, the way this helps you is that it will actually lower the recipient's MR if it was higher to begin with. For instance, utilizing the above example, if the Mage listed above were to cast MR upon an enemy with 80% MR...they no longer have MR of 80%, it is now set at 20%! Then if you cast a Lower Resistance on top of that (not sure if you can do that though...), they're toast!
Old 03-26-2001, 10:06 PM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
Let me offer these words...

First of all, I would recommend that you just send your tanks in and open up a can o' whoop-ass on 'em. They won't last long.

Depends on what type of golem they are. If they're adamantite I wouldn't go toe-to-toe unless you have a really low AC, a lot of HP or a lot of healing potions.

------------------
Old 03-26-2001, 10:19 PM   #6
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Depends on what type of golem they are. If they're adamantite I wouldn't go toe-to-toe unless you have a really low AC, a lot of HP or a lot of healing potions.
Bah! Adamantite...shamantite... One good whack with Crom Fayer or the Rod of...damn! what is it???...you know, the rod that instantly destroys Golems with a successful hit (save vs. death, of course)
Old 03-26-2001, 10:38 PM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:
Bah! Adamantite...shamantite... One good whack with Crom Fayer or the Rod of...damn! what is it???...you know, the rod that instantly destroys Golems with a successful hit (save vs. death, of course)
Of course. The rod you're thinking about is the Rod of Smiting. But judging from bodhidharma's post (and the spells he's quoting are level 3-5 spells) his wizard probably isn't up to level 12 yet and therefore not in a position to use those items you mentioned, which all become available after Chapter 5. My advice to him was based on the level of the game he was at.

If levels were irrelevant I would've told him to cast Lower Resistance, then Greater Malison, then Finger of Death, but that would've been useless advice since he probably doesn't have access to those spells yet.

Final thing - the Crom Faeyr only slays Clay and Stone Golems - not Adamantite ones.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 03-26-2001).]
Old 03-26-2001, 11:14 PM   #8
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Final thing - the Crom Faeyr only slays Clay and Stone Golems - not Adamantite ones.
Doh! I didn't know that! Haven't had it made yet... What about Iron Golems?

Crap. Well, maybe I'm better off with the Girdle of Frost Giant Strength and Gauntlets of Ogre Strength separate, then. Don't have anyone who can use a war hammer without a penalty. Minsc would be it...and I prefer him with a 2-hander or dual wield with Mace +3 and Mace of Disruption. Aerie just *never* engages in melee as she wouldn't last 2 hits with her crappy HPs.
Old 03-27-2001, 07:33 PM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The Crom Faeyr is the best weapon in the game. I would strongly advise you to wield it, even if you are not proficient. It increases your strength to 25, so the to-hit and damage bonuses you will get just from having it equipped, even if you wield it in your off-hand, will more than offset any penalties. And the strength bonuses will apply to BOTH weapons you are wielding.

------------------
Old 03-27-2001, 08:26 PM   #10
Leonidas
Dungeon Master

Can Crom Faeyr be wielded in the off-hand? I thought that it could be thrown like the Hammer of T-bolts. That's why I haven't had it made for my tanks! Silly me!

------------------
Be careful! I think it's a tr...