Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #11
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Guess what, I'm getting 6fps for this game - and that's just walking around doing nothing.
Yeah i'm about 20-30 fps. The game needs some serious work, and I have decided i'm gonna wait it out before experincing the OC in this horrid manner. I'm not wishing for miracles, just a camera adjustment and some UI changes. I can't play this game right now without becoming frustrated with the controls. The camera is a dizzying mess of directionless wandering, mixed in with character AI that would make the AI in the unpatched version of Baldurs Gate 1 look good.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #12
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Someone on the official forums wrote this and it about sums up where i'm at...

"-Character creation has more depth, which is crucial in D&D.
-Good cutscene mechanics.
-Nice graphics, even if my comp struggles
-Pretty good music
-personaly I like the BG feel

Cons:
(with more detail)
-Movement animations are below NWN1 standard, both in and out of combat, running looks silly, and you can't clearly see what combat actions are being performed.
-Camera is poor, but I got use to it.
-Property commands are also below NWN1 standard, having to right click and pick from a menu for everything is outdated and slows down the gameplay a lot.
-AI is pretty weak, my party members don't always follow me, they sometimes just stand there for no reason. The behaviour options really need to be improved also, in conjunction with the weak second mouse button menu, controlling your party is terrible imo. You have to do a bunch of mouse combinations just to have one of your party members scout ahead while the rest STAND PUT. Don't expect them to come helping you when you are attacked without having to pause and issue more clunky commands.
-the inventory system is also outdated, why not have a sorting button?
-The quickslot isn't very quick, you cave to right click on many items then get to more menus to cast item abilities. Also, clicking on a item in the quickslot doesn't equip/uniquip without more right mouse button menue searching. Lastly, you can't seem to be able to stack two hand items in the same slot.
-PLayer voices really should be updated, I was quite disappointed to hear so many from NWN1.
-Where is the time and the date on the HUD...?"
Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I was wondering where the bloody time and date was.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:50 AM   #14
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I still can't patch the game, like a number of others with the DVD version. Some tips on that link which might work for you - they haven't for me so far.

The game's still playable without the patch, mind you.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:55 AM   #15
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's my latest effort:

code:
Patching File nwloader.exe
Patching File nwn.ini
Patching File nwn2.exe
Patching File Effects\NWN2_DepthOnly.fxo
Patching File Effects\NWN2_Grass.fxo
Patching File Effects\NWN2_GrassShadow.fxo
Patching File Effects\NWN2_GrassShadow_ATI.fxo
Patching File Effects\NWN2_GrassShadow_NVIDIA.fxo
Patching File Data\NWN2_Materials.zip
Failure Opening New File
Get the critical rebuild.
http://nwn2.obsidian.net/support/pat...lish.html#crit
The patch has been aborted
[/QUOTE]Bugger it, I can play the game without the patch anyway, I'll just wait for the critical rebuild to get sorted out. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-04-2006, 06:11 AM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's a possible fix to the patcher issue which might work for some people.

Quote:
Hello,
I have been following the forums for the last few days, and I feel for everyone that has had problems with the patching (as I have too, after receiving the game today). I want to thank everyone who is trying to help out.

Yes, I have had the same problems, and no I am not shy on disk space (The install directory is on a large RAID).

Here is a solution that worked for me (Getting from Patch 1.00 to 1.01):
Before I post the instructions, let me just say that this method will take time, and yes, you will still have to patch several times to make it work, but what this method does, is give you guaranteed progress to get through the patcher.

From what I can tell, the patcher will checksum each file it patches, and once it messes up one file, it erases all the stuff it has patched so far, and starts from scratch. ( btw, the new files appear in the same folder for which the file is being patched and are labeled RTA02310, RTB02310, RTC02310, etc, but are erased as soon as the patcher fails)

So here is the method… And bear with me, you will have to do some babysitting with your directories. Note: SAVE files before replacing them!!! Or you will have to reinstall

1) Go to your NWN2/temp directory.
2) Run the patcher
3) The patch will fail eventually
4) Copy the “nwn2_pc_english_from100_to101.zip” to the root directory or one directory up (This allows you not to have to download the zip file over again)
5) Go to your NWN2/Modules directory
6) Run the patcher
7) As files are being patched, copy the new files coming in (i.e RTA02310, etc) to another folder. It doesn’t matter where, this is just you will have them copied when the patcher deletes them after the fail.
8) Once the patcher fails, go to the new folder and check the size of each of the RTA0231 files.
9) For each file in the Modules folder that is similarly sized, replace it with the corresponding RT#0231 file. Note: remember to save a backup of the file you are replacing!
10) Rerun the patch. Now the patch should check the files you just replaced, but it will not create a new patch file for them, it will just do a checksum on it. The patcher will move on to the next files, and continue to create patches.
11) Keep backing up the new files being created. They will restart with RTA0231 and will be deleted once the patcher fails.
12) Keep doing this method, and you’ll soon get out of the Modules folder get into other folders like the Data folder, the Effects folder, etc… RTA0231 files are created in those directories too. This is progress!

Ok, there will be hiccups. Sometimes the patcher will say:
“Invalid Patch File:
“The patch file may be corrupted….”
This will happen eventually each time, but if you perform the previous steps, it will crap out further along each time (until you finally get it!)

Or you may get:
“An incorrect version of the file was found on your system”
“The update was unable to complete, since the file contents were incorrect.”

When this happens, it is usually because the file it patched, didn’t patch successfully (or you didn’t match up the RT#0231 file correctly with the original file). In this case all you need to do, is copy back in the original file (for which it crapped out on) and do the patch again. Remember, after the patcher starts back up, you need to save the “RT#0231” file after each file that is attempting to be repatched. Eventually the patcher will crap out and you will need to rename this RT#0231 file to the similarly sized original file so the patcher will skip it next time around.

Also, don’t worry if you miss some tiny RT#0231 files, just make sure you get the large ones.

Well, I hope that helps. Yes it is painful, and a bit childish, but you will make progress.

Devs: I think the patcher would be much enhanced if the whole process did not start over after a bad CRC (i.e., once a file is successfully patched and has a good CRC, replace the original file (or move it to another directory) and move on. This way, when the patcher craps out, not all the patched files will be deleted, and the user can at least make some head way the next patch around)

Devs: Critical note! After your patcher patches a file, it does not do an additional CRC on it from what I can tell, because I have had the patcher find corrupted files one a 2nd sweep through. In fact for NWN2_materials.zip, I have downloaded from your patcher, two corrupted files in a row. Their md5sums:
70866cd614667b4551ed24f2d40a40f6
73376f2f2472a3c2de78e6d0a16fa954

Kind regards,
-Richard

Old 11-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #17
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I have managed to patch the game finally - it's definitely to do with space. I made sure I had at least 10GB free (because apparently the patcher creates all these temp files) and was able to patch.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #18
dominions
Elminster

I am rather unimpressed by NWN2. Graphics are dull and the mod file size is huge. Also the amount of CPU, RAM, and HD space required are well out of proportion.
[img]\"http://www.shalewyn.com/Images/KrynnWhiteDragon1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Hah!\", thought the white dragon. \"A wand of Ice Storm will never harm me!\"<br />He never did figure out that he was in a CRPG...
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:53 AM   #19
DraconisRex

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritWarrior:
quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Guess what, I'm getting 6fps for this game - and that's just walking around doing nothing.
Yeah i'm about 20-30 fps. The game needs some serious work, and I have decided i'm gonna wait it out before experincing the OC in this horrid manner. I'm not wishing for miracles, just a camera adjustment and some UI changes. I can't play this game right now without becoming frustrated with the controls. The camera is a dizzying mess of directionless wandering, mixed in with character AI that would make the AI in the unpatched version of Baldurs Gate 1 look good. [/QUOTE]My questions are: Have you gone to the options and tried the different camera settings? Including changing the turn rate?

I slowed the turn rate down quite a bit and that has been an amazing change. I still have troubles with the ANGLE changing when I mouse to the top and bottom of my screen. This isn't the only game I own that does that. It's just that I keep having MY expectations from the other games influencing what I do with THIS game. OTOH, the camera work for NWN2 is already superior to initial release NWN1 and I'm pefectly sure I'll get used to it.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:14 AM   #20
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

I'm enjoying the game, (and it patched fine on my DVD version), but it's just so SLOW. I have an Athlon X2 3800+, 2 GB of RAM and a 7900 GT... Yet the frame rate is less than 30, with all settings turned off, at 1280 x 1024.

Now I can understand that the 7900 GT isn't bleeding edge anymore, but come on!? If I enable ANY settings, the game becomes almost unplayable, at 10-15 FPS, and even on the max settings, it's not like the game is beautiful.

I also tried the game on my laptop, a Sony Vaio with the Core Duo T2400 (1.83 GHz), 1 GB of RAM, and a GeForce Go 7400, and it simply cannot run. At 800 x 600, with all details off, and every option at its lowest setting, the game is still too jerky and unresponsive to play. Now this laptop wasn't ever going to be a powerhouse gaming machine, but it should be able to play it at some level shouldn't it?

[ 11-09-2006, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: Callum ]