Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2002, 09:25 AM   #11
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Psionics won't be in a PC RPG for decades. It requires a DM for a psionic to be worth anything, they have so few powers that can be directly converted to damage or other simple effects without a DM deciding. Too bad, really, since they're the coolest class in existence.
It amazes me Neb, I thought you said you detested 3:ed??? Well could be my misstake, but have you read the psionic rules for 3:ed?

From your staement above I would think not. The 3:ed Psionic rules give you a variety of possibilities not only to DAMAGE but to enhance your character in movement, combat, diplomatics, sense way to add alot to the game. A Psionic character can use powers that kills an enemy right off at high levels, use mindblasts to hurt enemies, conjur claws, extra strength, extra con etc and thus enhance your characters chances.

Not tougher then converting some of the magic there is.And for you being danish, I have to tell you again! Try NWN! I think you will have a pleasant suprise, it is a good game, I got it yesterdat and if you think it is too easy.. just the slider
[/QUOTE]Well, I think that that blows. Psionics are supposed to use their cleverness to make apparently harmless powers lethal. Not to be just another kind of mage with attack spells.... They already have a SMALL assortment of that. They're NOT supposed to have much of it, this only makes me detest 3rd ed even more.

They can already do what you said. But how would you convert all of their Telepathic skills? You'd have to have seperate thoughts for all creatures, they can speak with plants using telepathy as well. Thoughts for all of the trees in the forest, too? Ouch.

Then there are all of their Clairsentient powers, it'd require an extra CD just for all of the information which they could gain using that. Their shapeshifting Psychometabolic abilities would also be severely limited, instead of an almost infinite amount of choices they'd be narrowed down to 10 or such.

Psionics could NOT be implemented. It'd take an entire DVD or such just for everything that they could do.

In response to Yorick: What sort of psionic abilities were availiable? I severely doubt that more than a quarter of all of the 2nd ed powers could be implemented.

[ 07-04-2002, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Neb ]
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 04:55 PM   #12
A1C_Dark-Void
Dungeon Master

Wow I am happy that I got such a great responce. Psionics in 3rd and 2nd addition have well over 100 powers, not to mention the fact that the psionic abilities are split into deviotions and sciences; the latter being stronger then the first. I like others hope they are included soon: But I have learned from this discussion that a Psionic IS just another spell caster. Just like a ranger is just another fighter... its not the class that ,akes it different or special its the player and hoz he or she plays the class that makes it just another spell caster, or a wondorous creation that people will want to experience time and time again. Again; thankyou for the input... have a great Air Force Day.
Old 07-04-2002, 11:16 PM   #13
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
[What sort of psionic abilities were availiable? I severely doubt that more than a quarter of all of the 2nd ed powers could be implemented.
Have all a mages spells been included in a CRPG? Or all a Bard/Thief/Rangers abilities? How many times have we used "climb walls" or "listen"?

No different with Psionics, it had about the same number as there were spells in that game.

[ 07-04-2002, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 11:20 PM   #14
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Neb, Psionics were always optional in p&p anyway. DMs discretion. To many stats or too much power can just get in the way of good roleplaying.

[ 07-04-2002, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Yorick ]

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 11:47 PM   #15
Deathcow
Elminster

Quote:
Well, I think that that blows. Psionics are supposed to use their cleverness to make apparently harmless powers lethal. Not to be just another kind of mage with attack spells.... They already have a SMALL assortment of that. They're NOT supposed to have much of it, this only makes me detest 3rd ed even more.

They can already do what you said. But how would you convert all of their Telepathic skills? You'd have to have seperate thoughts for all creatures, they can speak with plants using telepathy as well. Thoughts for all of the trees in the forest, too? Ouch.

Then there are all of their Clairsentient powers, it'd require an extra CD just for all of the information which they could gain using that. Their shapeshifting Psychometabolic abilities would also be severely limited, instead of an almost infinite amount of choices they'd be narrowed down to 10 or such.

Psionics could NOT be implemented. It'd take an entire DVD or such just for everything that they could do.

In response to Yorick: What sort of psionic abilities were availiable? I severely doubt that more than a quarter of all of the 2nd ed powers could be implemented.
No offense, but you're getting a little carried away with all this Psionics stuff, Neb. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You want EVERY aspect of Psionics to be covered...but what about the rest of the classes? They aren't totally covered either.

Besides, I think you'd be disappointed even if they did add Psionics, because it would have to be toned down for balancing issues, and some aspects of the class would have to be left out; there is simply too much to cover it all.
Deathcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 07:42 AM   #16
A1C_Dark-Void
Dungeon Master

Blah, dont listen to that person Neb get carried away thats what gets the balls rolling on stuff to make things happen. j/k but, I do agree that it would be hard to do, on the same token I believe that it could be done. Why a few years ago we thought warcraft 3 would never come out..... well its out... and how about the monk class??? That one was just as hard to get out without making it to powerfull! I am going to write to wizards and tell them to add it! Why not.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:22 AM   #17
DraconisRex

Arguing over Psionics? 1. It's in the supplements. 2. Psionics, prior to 3E sucked as a psionicist just another game-imbalancing Uber-character. Like the original Monk and all those Oriental Adventurer characters. Kensai... What a ludicrous class, I could rant for hours...

Put my vote in the "Thank God for the Return of Sanity" category.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?<br /><br />Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.<br /><br />Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
DraconisRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 01:42 PM   #18
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Neb, Neb.. You might be Danish but hehe, sorry
Have you ever used detect magic?, read thoughts, prestidigation? Scry, climb, jump, bluff diplomacy etc etc etc etc read minds detect thougts in 2:nd ed DnD CRPG?

If you have, I can only say wow, for you detesting 3:ed, we wonīt miss you playing the game, but perhaps it is time for you to start drinking coffee and wake up. It is not about editions, it is about RPG and CRPG that make the difference.

My dad usually say on thing all the time about peole, "Itīs all in the head of peole". That is so very true. YOU may like or may not like something, but remember it is only inside your own head.

Good luck in finding what you like. Saying 3:ed seems only to make you sick so I wonīt even do that anymore, but then again why are you sonstantly here arguing then??

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 11:09 PM   #19
Reonin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

IMO psionics aren't exactly traditional fantasy in the first place. Most of their powers are so totally crazy in 1st and 2nd editions (I can't comment on 3rd since I haven't seen them yet) that most DM's simply ban them all together. You want to make a close-to-be psionicist? Make a sorceror and get enchantment/charm spells like sleep, charm, confusion etc.
Reonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 07:44 AM   #20
A1C_Dark-Void
Dungeon Master

Well, a lot of your comments are rather unfair and closed minded. For example, the whole sleep charm such sorcerer crap, is not psionics. There are almost four hundred spells, some VERY similair to the wizard and sorcerer spells and almost one hundred that I can see might be vauglee familure but not really. I find the psionic a challenge, just like the kensai. YES they CAN be unbalancing, with a bad DM and power hungry players. But a while ago there was a post about the power hungry kensai and I gave a list of almost ten ways to easly dispatch of them. I do not believe any one class is more powerfull or weak than the other, rather I believe DMs are more powerfull or weak than each other. Now it is very easy to grab a claymore as a first level fighter and rip into a first level mage, who will cast burning hands or whatever first level spell they took and run away. Or, if you were that mage you could have ripped out with mage armor, or perhaps change self, and with a bit of role playing you could have a great AC for first level and mabye even beat the fighter one on one, or with the change self you could vanish into the crowd as simply another person, the possibilities are endless.

Now the difference between psionics and magics are great, for one magics come from another source, wether as a mage you draw it from rituals and objects to untap a certain chain reaction to get a desired effect, or the sorcerer who draws from energies within and around to create the same chain reaction and the same desired effect. WHERE AS psionics are things entierly from within the human body and mind. One takes the simple facts of phisics and knowledge of time and space and that little added umph of zen power and creates a chain reaction to gain a desired effect, in a sense yes magic and psionic are the same, just different means of getting there.

If you are arguing that the psionic is not a needed class, I argue then that the sorcerer is not needed for it is just another mage who we do not need.

Those who use the scapegoat of ˝its to powerfull of a class˝are simply running away from the fact that they can not use the class and are unfamilur with its rules and regulations.

Then again, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong.