Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2002, 09:14 AM   #1
A1C_Dark-Void
Dungeon Master

Do you think they will ever add the psionic class to the PC RPG's? I have yet to see it, but then again I am really new to the PC games, and the onyl time I did see it was when it was evil or against you (mind flares BG2)
Old 07-02-2002, 10:36 AM   #2
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

well, the intellect devourer uses them, probably a spell format like in bg2, I think they'll put them in a mod for the game, as they are very popular, and having them means you can have psionic enemies, talk about nasty, anyone who doesn't think so has never had a character psionically dominated, or mindwiped.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:12 AM   #3
MagiK

Not to mention with this point buy system instead of a rolling for stats, almost everyone who isnt a wizard or sorcerer will have mega low INT and Wis scores..which mean crappy saves vs. psionics.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:15 PM   #4
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Actually there is psyconics in some game as previously stated bg2 and it is especially prominant in Wizardy 8, great game btw, an entire spell system just for psyconics.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:50 PM   #5
Aramil Galanodel
Dungeon Master

i hope they do include it in an expansion or somthing, because i finally got ahold of the 3rd edition psionic book, and they did a much better job of keeping it balanced this time around.
Aramil Galanodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 05:07 PM   #6
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Psionics won't be in a PC RPG for decades. It requires a DM for a psionic to be worth anything, they have so few powers that can be directly converted to damage or other simple effects without a DM deciding. Too bad, really, since they're the coolest class in existence.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 09:48 PM   #7
tonious
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Excuse me for asking (heh), but I am pretty new to everything D&D. What is a psionic and a kensai? Is kensai like samurai?
tonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 12:22 AM   #8
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

a psionic is a character who uses internal energy, unlike a mage, or cleric who draw upon magic, or a god for their powers, psionic characters have a great deal of psychic powers, being able to sense danger, move things with their minds, use telepathy, or even adjust their own bodies to become more like an animals such as growing claws, fangs, etc.

A Kensai is an oriental character, who relies on "the best defense is a good offense" theory, they perfect their use of their swords to such an extent that they don't wear armor, or magical Armor enhancors like magic rings, bracers, etc. It is regarded as a munchkin class due to some special abilities they recieve such as a whirlwind attack (in 1st edition D&D, I'm not sure about 3rd) as well as some Ki (mental energy that oriental characters get) that they can focus to make attacks do ungodly amounts of damage.
Old 07-04-2002, 03:42 AM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Psionics won't be in a PC RPG for decades. It requires a DM for a psionic to be worth anything, they have so few powers that can be directly converted to damage or other simple effects without a DM deciding. Too bad, really, since they're the coolest class in existence.
It amazes me Neb, I thought you said you detested 3:ed??? Well could be my misstake, but have you read the psionic rules for 3:ed?

From your staement above I would think not. The 3:ed Psionic rules give you a variety of possibilities not only to DAMAGE but to enhance your character in movement, combat, diplomatics, sense way to add alot to the game. A Psionic character can use powers that kills an enemy right off at high levels, use mindblasts to hurt enemies, conjur claws, extra strength, extra con etc and thus enhance your characters chances.

Not tougher then converting some of the magic there is.And for you being danish, I have to tell you again! Try NWN! I think you will have a pleasant suprise, it is a good game, I got it yesterdat and if you think it is too easy.. just the slider

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 05:13 AM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Psionics have already been in a PC AD&D game: DARK SUN. The AD&D game after the EOTB series, and before Baldurs Gate.

Psionicists were cool, but no better or worse than some of the other classes. Any character could use psionics to a degree if they had an aptitude for it.

There's no reason why it isn't in games now, other than designer choice. The role is covered by Mages and Sorcerers - that being, characters who use mental 'energy' rather than physical.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote