Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Default Olbermann ethics lesson, what not to do

A multi-million dollar salary. A platform to spew your political rhetoric. A place to bash those who oppose your view. And it is not a Fox talking head!

Msnbc TV host Keith Olbermann was suspended indefinitely on Friday for making campaign donations to three Democratic congressional candidates, apparently in violation of NBC News ethics policy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40028929

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Olbermann ethics lesson, what not to do

Surprised he's not allowed to donate since, after all, he IS NBC's answer to Bill O, and neither are "reporters" or journalists...just opinion commentary.

I could understand, maybe...someone like Matt Lauer or Katie Couric having some kinda nuetrality stipulation in their contract...but him? And in the meantime, while Fox anchors are literally HOSTING tea-parties - not to mention the tons of money they pumped into those loonies to make them their own, an NBC commentator can't donate $2,400 to his politics. Yet, he can vote for his politics in the booth. I find it odd. If only Fox was so insistent on nuetrality and indifference with it's employees.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Surprised he's not allowed to donate since, after all, he IS NBC's answer to Bill O, and neither are "reporters" or journalists...just opinion commentary.

I could understand, maybe...someone like Matt Lauer or Katie Couric having some kinda nuetrality stipulation in their contract...but him? And in the meantime, while Fox anchors are literally HOSTING tea-parties - not to mention the tons of money they pumped into those loonies to make them their own, an NBC commentator can't donate $2,400 to his politics. Yet, he can vote for his politics in the booth. I find it odd. If only Fox was so insistent on nuetrality and indifference with it's employees.
LOL! Olbermann has never been neutral or indifferent on his show. As you correctly stated, his show was designed to counter Bill O'Reilly.

Olbermann has heavily criticized OTHER "reporters" for donating money to specific candidates, so it makes him appear a little hypocritical when he does it himself. Personally, I don't think Olbermann did anything wrong. He donated the standard amount most supporters do, at least on paper. There is probably a good chance he donated more OFF the record (just like every other big "supporter" does for their chosen candidate) and, again, I don't really see anything wrong with that. Olbermann has made no bones about who he supports and why.

From what I could glean in the reports I heard, the main complaint was that he did not clear his donations through his NBC bosses first, so they got caught by surprise. So it is really more a matter of Keith not following company policy correctly than any hint of actual wrong-doing. He will probably get a slap on the wrist, a few days off the air, issue the obligatory apology and then be back on the air again fairly soon.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Question Mark Re: Olbermann ethics lesson, what not to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
LOL! Olbermann has never been neutral or indifferent on his show. As you correctly stated, his show was designed to counter Bill O'Reilly.
So...that was you agreeing with me?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by another article
His "Countdown" show, which airs at 8 p.m. ET, is MSNBC's most popular program. His on-the-air transformation from the host of a straight news program to a liberal commentator led the network itself to go in the same direction, filling its prime-time lineup with left-leaning hosts and doing better in the ratings than anytime since its 1996 launch...

Mr. Olbermann’s program, “Countdown,” is the most popular hour on MSNBC, with about 1.1 million viewers a night...Mr. Griffin has called the seven-year-old “Countdown” the tent-pole of MSNBC, which has rebuilt itself as a home for liberal-minded Americans. It recently adopted a new slogan, “Lean Forward,” which winks at its progressive bent.
I'm anticipating less than a two week cool down phase, followed by a on-air apology as mentioned by Cerek, a couple shows to get things "aired" out, then wham, right back into the thick of it.

I don't know enough about fox, so I'm sure somebody will come along and provide input. Does fox even have such a policy? Is it really required?

Ultimately, why didn't the knuckle-buck get the prescribed permission first?! Arrogance maybe? OR, downright disregard for policy?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Maybe I am missing something but, am I the only one who doesn't think he should even have to discolse what he legally donates off the air? He's a talking-head. As mentioned above, he makes no bones about who he supports and what he supports. The same way Hannity or Beck or Bill O don't. It would be different if he was all for the Democratic party yet donated to the McCain campaign. That would be controversial at least, but still...not illegal.

I doubt Fox has such a policy in place - that would mean they had standards. But really, what standards does this particular policy enforce or ensure? That you can scream and preach and broadcast all day about your politics on our news station, but cannot legally make a contribution of $2000 to them from your money on your own personal time. I don't get it...
Old 11-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Maybe I am missing something but, am I the only one who doesn't think he should even have to discolse what he legally donates off the air? He's a talking-head. As mentioned above, he makes no bones about who he supports and what he supports. The same way Hannity or Beck or Bill O don't. It would be different if he was all for the Democratic party yet donated to the McCain campaign. That would be controversial at least, but still...not illegal.

I doubt Fox has such a policy in place - that would mean they had standards. But really, what standards does this particular policy enforce or ensure? That you can scream and preach and broadcast all day about your politics on our news station, but cannot legally make a contribution of $2000 to them from your money on your own personal time. I don't get it...
It's too complicated for you then, move along!

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Old 11-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Sunglass Man Re: Olbermann ethics lesson, what not to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
It's too complicated for you then, move along!
You forgot the "If" at the start. For example: "If forming sentences are too complicated for you then, move along."
Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #9
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
So...that was you agreeing with me?
In this particular situation, yes.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #10
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:

The only reason I can see for such a policy would be to avoid the appearance of any partiality or conflict of interest. However, as you mentioned earlier, this isn't Matt Lauer or Katie Couric. Olbermann has never pretended to be objective, nor was he supposed to be.

Whether we agree with the policy or not, though, is a moot point. The point is that the policy does exist and Keith decided, for whatever reason, to ignore or violate that policy. He didn't do anything illegal and I really don't think even his critics would be surprised or offended by his donations. The most difficult thing for him, I believe, will be showing the proper amount of contrition to his bosses and then delivering the obligatory public apology. Regardless, this will blow over in a day or two and he'll be back on the air within 1-2 weeks most likely.