Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2006, 06:30 PM   #21
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanesra:
quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Right, let's get some bloody debate happening here, to try and avert Z from shutting down this forum.
If I didn't know you better I would think you're taking the piss! Debate is only welcome here if you agree with what Z thinks.

If that wasn't the case there might be a moderator based in Europe.
[/QUOTE]I think having Moderators in Oz and in Canuckistan is close enough, since they both *wish* they were Europe.

I'll tell you the style of debating here that usually gets you sunk. Grabbing onto a position and beating people over the head with it, never being willing to admit weak points in your argument, and chain posting 4 or 5 posts at a time.

But we don't know anyone who does that, do we? Erm... maybe I should say *did* instead of *does.*

[ 05-25-2006, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 05-26-2006, 06:22 PM   #22
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I wish I had seen this thread sooner. Mexicans have decimated the industry I work in. Yea construction. Its actually quite difficult for me to express my feelings on this without profanity.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #23
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
I wish I had seen this thread sooner. Mexicans have decimated the industry I work in. Yea construction. Its actually quite difficult for me to express my feelings on this without profanity.
Go ahead Paul, don't hold back on us.

Anyway.... i agree.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:10 PM   #24
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Just go ahead and express them with profanity first, Paul, then go back and remove the profanity, then post them. The view is what we're interested in. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:44 PM   #25
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Better now than never. Immigration controll is a must. No one needs uneducated immigrants. Everyone needs rich or educated people. Poor and uneducated should stay at their countries.

[ 05-29-2006, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Black Baron ]

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:37 PM   #26
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Odds are we could get away with trading our poor/uneducated folks for their educated/rich ones as well.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #27
Luther
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Baron:
Better now than never. Immigration controll is a must. No one needs uneducated immigrants. Everyone needs rich or educated people. Poor and uneducated should stay at their countries.
All developed and developing nations need a ready supply of poor and uneducated labourers. It doesn't matter where they come from, so long as they are willing and able to work hard for low remuneration. If America doesn't have a sufficient 'peasant/worker' class of its own that is willing to work for peanuts, then it must be brought in from elsewhere... and Mexico (and pretty much ANY South American nation) is right there, sitting on the Southern border. Affluence and poverty go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other.

But maybe what you are saying is that the 'peasants' need to be kept under control once they are in the country, yes? Keep under close scrutiny, don't let them slip through any cracks in bureaucracy?

[ 05-29-2006, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Luther ]
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:20 AM   #28
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

Almost every country has enough of the "peasants" and low level proletariat. There is absolutely no need to import it. If you refuse to work, too bad for you. After half a year your "unemployment money" should be cut off completely (provided that there is some work nearby that you should be able to work at). On the other hand a "minimal wages" law should be promulgated to insure that people will want to work, rather than being forced to.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Black Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #29
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
But we don't know anyone who does that, do we? Erm... maybe I should say *did* instead of *does.*
Is there a mirror near you?
Lanesra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:21 AM   #30
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
I think of your predicament everytime I look at the deteriorating condition of new construction. Developers cutting corners has gotten very out of hand, and hiring Mexicans has been the biggest corner-cut ever.

You've got 2 classes of workers here in Chicago: (1) expensive tradesmen, experienced masters of their individual skill, be it plumbing, carpentry, HVAC, whatever; (2) cheap immigrants, master of nothing, but willing to half-ass anything for a buck.

Believe me, the former is MUCH preferable. If you're buying new construction in an urban area with immigrant workers, I highly recommend you hire a carpenter, plumber, and heating/air guy to look at it and tell you what's crap. Otherwise you may just be buying a lawsuit. Believe me, I'm in the middle of it myself.