Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 PM   #11
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:

A person with HIV did something (for the majority) to become infected with the virus.

A person that is hungry, has not attempted to grow a garden, fish, or hunt the wild critters that go well with garden fresh potatoes.

A person who is homeless, may be homeless for desire. Others may in fact be homeless, for they have no means of tying sticks together, and forming shelter. But, will sit on a street corner and expect you to help them. While they do nothing.

What if you replace every instance of the word "person" in this part of your post above here with the word child, or add the word sick, old, or handicaped. How about the word mother. Plenty of people, millions, are unable or don't know how to help themselves so they die a slow death or simply cling to life. That's the whole problem.

[ 09-16-2005, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 09-16-2005, 11:31 PM   #12
Chewbacca
Zartan

Oh and BTW since when does the U.S. Government ban ads, besides those with sex, nudity, cigarettes, or people drinking alcohol. On what grounds, by what law, and who's authority was this ad banned if it, infact, actually was? (assuming it is a real ad which I also doubt)
Old 09-17-2005, 05:53 AM   #13
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:

A person with HIV did something (for the majority) to become infected with the virus.

A person that is hungry, has not attempted to grow a garden, fish, or hunt the wild critters that go well with garden fresh potatoes.

Those are really, really ignorant statements. Seriously, what the hell?
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:56 AM   #14
mad=dog

This is a Joe Job. Stop and think before you believe anything. Ultimately someone at MTV would have 1) thought up the idea 2) gotten it submitted and accepted 3) actually sat down and made it. In all those three steps it would have had to pass through real people like the ones on this board. The likelihood of MTV ever making such a blatant error is minimal to non-existant.
Joe Jobbing (that is spam or harmful content send to a second party in the name of a third party, where the third party is intended to recieve the full blame) is getting more abundant these days. Expect to see thousands of "secretly leaked" repulsive ads and similar in the next year or so.

[ 09-17-2005, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: mad=dog ]
Old 09-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #15
dplax
Jack Burton

Since this is generating quite some controversy I can send the powerpoint presentation I had received this in (I know it is too big for a tv ad, but consider that I had to take screenshots of a powerpoint presentation and then put them on the web, so this isn't real size) to anyone interested. I don't know whether it is true or not, what I was told was that the ad aired only once.

However a google search for "banned mtv ad" (link) shows a surprising number of results also. I don't have time to go indepth into these to try and find whether it is true or not right now, but might do so later.

EDIT: I have edited the first post to show links and not the pictures as krunchyfrogg had asked.

EDIT 2: Also as krunchyfrogg asked, I have forwarded him the email.

[ 09-18-2005, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: dplax ]

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #16
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Thanks on both accounts, dplax.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:12 AM   #17
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Oh and BTW since when does the U.S. Government ban ads, besides those with sex, nudity, cigarettes, or people drinking alcohol. On what grounds, by what law, and who's authority was this ad banned if it, infact, actually was? (assuming it is a real ad which I also doubt)
Techinically the gov't doesn't ban those either, the FCC (the beaureau that oversees TV, radio and they're trying to get their hands on the internet) merely give ginormous fines to those who air things like that aside from specific pre-approved venues. (You won't see beer ad's on tv before a certain time, and usually only during sporting events, "girls gone wild" video comercials don't air until after 11 PM, you may have a point on cig's I haven't heard or seen an ad for them as far back as I can remember, which is about 20 years)

[ 09-19-2005, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 09-19-2005, 11:04 AM   #18
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
Techinically the gov't doesn't ban those either, the FCC (the beaureau that oversees TV, radio and they're trying to get their hands on the internet) merely give ginormous fines to those who air things like that aside from specific pre-approved venues. (You won't see beer ad's on tv before a certain time, and usually only during sporting events, "girls gone wild" video comercials don't air until after 11 PM, you may have a point on cig's I haven't heard or seen an ad for them as far back as I can remember, which is about 20 years) [/QUOTE]Yeah, Thanks for clarifying. I've never seen a cig ad on the airwaves either, but evidently they used to exist. As for booze, I know it's prohibited to show people actually drinking any, but I wasn't specifically aware of time regulations.

Anyway my point was the U.S. Government bans very few things from broadcast, even using the term 'ban' loosely- a trend I'd like to see continue.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:52 PM   #19
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, I find it interesting that not one of those ads made me want to help the poor, AIDS-afflicted, or homeless. The whole thing strikes me as one big advertising campaign for social Darwinism.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:16 PM   #20
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
quote:

Those are really, really ignorant statements. Seriously, what the hell? [/QUOTE]Why? How does it make YOU feel? Does it strike a chord? I have patrolled the streets of Kosovo, I have been shot at, and returned fire in many places other than Iraq. I have walked the streets of El Paso, TX. So tell me, Oh wise one what do my first hand experiences of people, poverty, and the dying not have to do with this political scam? I have seen an (insert what you like, but it must be politically correct) kill a (the other politically correct term) because he raised a 'pig' to feed his family. I have seen fertile ground sit idle. I have seen sex in the streets and no protection used. I have shared a bottle with a 'bum' to experience life without shelter. He could have shelter, but 'he' choose to weather the storm. Others could have shelter too, but it would call for that four letter word, AKA: WORK.

The key here is WILL where there is will, there is a way. However, I have seen with my own two eyes, many ways, but not a single will!

If you want to cry foul, go forth an experience life to it's fullest, then come back full circle and we shall quantify your findings!

[ 09-19-2005, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Felix The Assassin ]

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote