Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 08-28-2001, 12:06 AM   #1
Pangur Ban

SoA and ToB all loaded up, patched, and ready to go ... ( thanks, Memnoch )

With all the options that BG2 has, such as kits, romances, and I don't know what else ... a question or two before I start.

I originally started playing CRPG's with the D&D "Gold Box" set, and prefer playing with all the characters under my control ( Sometimes I find other people's ideas on what I will find entertaining in NPCs is an irritant instead. Space hamsters? No thanks !! )

I wound up playing BG1 with 6 of my own characters - 2 fighters, 1 ranger, 1 cleric, 1 wizard, and a multiclass fighter/thief/mage - and no dual classes.
( Yeah, boring lot, aren't they ... )

I've sorta grown fond of them, and like the idea of continuing their adventures in BG2.

Question 1. Am I going to miss out on much if I play this way in BG2? I don't mind missing out on romances, but are there any quests or anything else that you get only with a main character and 5 NPC's?

I would be very interested in hearing a reply from anyone who played the game both normally, and with 6 character solo multiplayer ...

Question 2. If I do import this party, and don't use kits, and don't dual class anyone, ( thus missing out on new skills ) will they have enough ability/skills/"grunt" to actually finish SoA and ToB?

Pangur Ban
Old 08-28-2001, 12:13 AM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

There are quests that are NPC-related, but besides those, you won't be missing out on anything

If you maintain your characters' original classes, and do not choose kits, although you will be missing out on a lot, you will still survive.

Hope my answers are satisfactory
Old 08-28-2001, 12:20 AM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Hey, Pangur Ban! I recognize you from Wizards & Warriors!

Yes, I understand fully the desire to play everyone under your control. That's why I like IWD/HoW as much as I do. BGII is worthwhile, however, with the NPC's. You may consider doing two different games: one solo multiplayer and one single player with NPC's. Try them both out and see what you think.

Each NPC in BG2 has a "special quest": they yield a small amount of XP and add some interest to the story. It's not crucial to the main storyline, but they can be fun.

Hope you have fun!

------------------
Old 08-28-2001, 12:59 AM   #4
Greystone
The Magister

Pangur Ban: What all do you have to do to "patch up" the pair (SoA & ToB) for play?

--Greystone
Old 08-28-2001, 01:50 AM   #5
Pangur Ban

Greystone,

After I installed SoA, and ToB, I then ran the ToB patch. Is this what you meant? ( see my post from a few days ago )

Sazerac,

Replaying a game is always an option, but by the time I finish a game, there is usually some other world in dire need of saving ... ( bring on Wiz 8 and M&M 9, please !! )

Pangur
Old 08-28-2001, 02:31 AM   #6
Bain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I made a milti player session and just made 2 extra people, a half orc kenasi, and a bard, just cuz the kenasi isnt any npc in the game, and the bard they give you blows, then i went with three other npc's so that i got some quests and such...if you ask me though, you can make a party WAY better if you setup the chars and kits and such, especailly in regards to min-maxing stats and stuff and picking out who's got what profinciencies so that later in the game you dont have 4 guys good with maces, and so many other cool weapons are out there. Its nice to be able to say, ok this fighter is my bow guy, this ones my axe man, ect and not have to worry about who will use what later on
Old 08-28-2001, 03:46 AM   #7
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pangur Ban:
Greystone,

After I installed SoA, and ToB, I then ran the ToB patch. Is this what you meant? ( see my post from a few days ago )

Sazerac,

Replaying a game is always an option, but by the time I finish a game, there is usually some other world in dire need of saving ... ( bring on Wiz 8 and M&M 9, please !! )

Pangur
Oh, that's not what I meant, Pangur...I'm playing two separate BG2 games right now at the same time...when I get bored with one, I switch to the other. Only hard thing is keeping them straight in my head as to which one I'm in and what I've done in that one.

------------------
Old 08-28-2001, 04:52 AM   #8
Gyruss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The NPC's are fun to have around since they talk to each other sometimes and can get into arguements. Its minor but adds to the "atmosphere" for me. I can see the desire to do a custom group so you can design what you want and not try and mix/match with the given NPC's. You could try a compramise and create 3-4 custom chars and leave 2 slots open for NPC's to do the releated quests and have some of the interaction they give.
Old 08-28-2001, 05:53 PM   #9
Pangur Ban

Scary idea, Saz ... !!

I hadn't thought of that way of playing before ...

Then again, I usually play 3 or 4 ( different ) games at once anyway. Currently I'm also playing Wheel of Time, and Forsaken, as well as BG2.

Bain and Gyruss ...

Another idea I hadn't thought of -- sounds like a good compromise.

Pangur Ban