Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 11-06-2006, 05:26 PM   #61
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes, I am almost 100% certain this is the main one too but alas no there is no option. Even in the .ini setting it to zero will keep it at "2". I imagine I could have most settings maxxed once this one was off. Light is the main issue, my frames dip when i'm around light sources as simple as 1 torch. In the first room at the very beginning, the two torches drop me to 20fps if I face at certain angles. But no matter what you do you can tell it is still on because your characters face will show shadows from the light.

The ATI thing is in the nwn.ini file. ATIWorkAroundForPointLightShadows it's called. People say that because it is for ATI cards it causes undue taxing on Nvidia cards when they don't need/use it. I am skeptical though, as I would have thought if the card wasn't ATI the setting would be invalid and ignored. Still, some claim it helped them by +10 fps but it made no difference for me *shrug*.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:57 PM   #62
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Just changed it. The way I see it, why should it be activated if I have an NVIDIA? The programming is so sloppy I wouldn't be surprised if it used it even for NVIDIA cards, and anything that could potentially raise my fps is good to me.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:37 AM   #63
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's a great article from NWVault which might help get some more FPS.

Quote:
A Players NWN2 Teething Pains
Added:2006-11-05 by QSW
Last Updated: 2006-11-05

So, Neverwinter Nights 2 has officially been out for 5 days now, and the Bioware forums are full of pleas for help and answers/suggestions as what to do for *< insert particular pain here >*. ( Help that has been forthcoming from Obsidian and the community at large) . We are a community of players who have become wizards at our favourite game, Neverwinter Nights, and suddenly with NWN2, we are plunged into the deepest of hells, and fumble around just trying to move in this new incarnation of our game, never mind having to learn a totally new interface. Well, OK, so maybe some of you have not felt like that, I certainly see evidence of it in the forums posts proclaiming "It runs like a dream on my system" Some with lower end systems are also finding no problem with the adjustment, and if anything, that gives me heart; for if this is true, then surely I, an avid lover of NWN and all it is, can learn this new system and play my most favourite game?
So my computer is new, not the highest of specs by any means - and I suspect my graphics card while supporting pixel shader 2+, is likely a pathetic little bugger that only comes in a pre-made computer sold to shmucks like me.
Compaq Presario
Intel Pentium (R) Dual Core CPU 3.20GHz/2.4GHz
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE
300GB Hard Drive.
Any other fancy gizmos it has I don't think are relevant - and anyway, it's just a computer right?
So I install the game, patch from the Update button, and weeeeeeee start the OC. Oh yeah, it's looking good, I am ready to zoom off and start on my adventures. Hang on, why do I feel as if I just jumped inside a lag monster? OMG, the camera won't do what I want, and the zooming in and out using the arrow up/down keys is like wading through molasses! *grabs the game booklet, starts printing off pages from the PDF Manual* Aha, OK, I shall try the tutorial out, once that is over I am sure to be a pro at this right? Wrong - but the Tutorial did help a great deal, I at least felt confidant that I was grasping the UI pretty well.
I admit it, I thought that I had gone back in time to BG & IWD (although I don't really remember the latter UI and just have a feeling it was very much like the BG series.) The game has detected the best settings for my graphics card, all full on and the graphics are real pretty - reminds me of Oblivion a lot (only Oblivion looked…bigger somehow? Plus the PC was not mouse operated , that was the camera tool) Anyway, back to my distress. My PC's movement is all clunky, rough, not smooth, a horror to behold…take your pick. I'm getting something like 5fps and I am struggling still with the UI never mind the darn choice of camera angles.
I have to admit, throughout the whole tutorial I struggled badly - I swore, I yelled, my blood pressure shot through the roof and if I did not have to play NWN2 for a very specific reason I would have gladly after a 2 hours of utter pain, thrown the game in the bin (at that point it did not even deserve to sit upon my shelf gathering dust) By now if you have bothered to read this far you are either thinking "This Dragon is a nut" "Pfft, a ruddy woman gamer" or "I hear ya!" What I know however is I am not alone in the initial rage and frustration that starting up NWN2 has caused.
There is light at the end of the tunnel though, so don't despair yet folks. Larry Wooters passed on to Maximus (who kindly told me) "Open My Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\nwnplayer.ini, find the CameraFollowAlways option and change it from 0 to 1. Then go into drive mode." This did help performance, and is a great tip. However, pain in the neck that I am, I dislike the drive mode - mainly because every time I want to look back towards my left or right, the camera swings back centre. I admit it, I am a top down player, I like to see what is going on around me as my spectacles slips ever further down my nose. Bard Lehel on the Bioware forums talks of reading the ReadMe in our NWN2 folder, and you know that really is sound advice. I found information on Duel Core processors and setting the Affinity (NWN2 ReadMe #10 III) Tons of information is out there on the Bioware forums, but it takes a bit of searching to gather it all, and well, I just want to play the game gosh darn it! Well, I am happy to say that I now have the game running at a steady 23-25fps in towns and a fantastic 40fps in outsdie/country areas. Movement is good to go at those rates. OK, so I have had to compromise on graphics, and the game does not look as pretty as it can, but I am finally able to enjoy playing the OC and getting into the plot and enjoying the henchman I have met thus far. (That Dwarf is one crazy dude!) Here is a list of what I have done in order to really start playing the game. You may not need to do all of this, but it is handy to have such information in one place, plus we added other top tips directly from the NWN2 Bioware Board.
Now it looks like I pretty much turned all the good stuff off, but if you are playing top down, it really does not look all that bad. I've no doubt I will be tweaking some more, turning some stuff back on etc, but at a solid steady 23-25fps I am happy with what I have, because I really want to play this game.
8-10 hours into the game and I am now starting to feel much more comfortable with the camera, UI etc. It seems you can't quick save and I don't pretend to understand why, but I have gotten used to saving pretty often as I progress in the game. I also discovered that I could re-assign certain keys (NWN2 start up screen -Options) plus I reset my Target Nearest Enemy key and I love being able to see how much my enemy is hurting I have been hitting that sucker as often as I can! The most important thing is, I AM enjoying myself now, I really like the plot, the characters I am meeting, the world map, and hot darn, the fights! And while it has taken me quite a long time to adjust - the fact that I have and am over the initial teething pains is a great relief to me -things can only get better from here on out.
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...s.Detail&id=74

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:44 AM   #64
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Some more tips:

Quote:
8.3.1 What can I do to improve performance? (2 comments)

* Try running the game at 800 X 600. Community member Beforan said this "I then decided to try changing resolution. I'd been running the game in 1680x1050, and figured detail or drivers would be causing lag more than res.

So I booted up NWN2, changed the res to 800x600 at the title screen and loaded my game. Guess what - still no significant improvement. Annoyed, I went to the game options with the game still running, and changed back to 1680x1050, applied, and everything runs smoothly!

Somewhat confused, but still chuffed, I quit out and repeated the same process, but this time turning all the graphics settings right up to full when i switched to 800x600. Sure enough, when I switch back to 1680x1050 in game, everything works, and looks damn gorgeous."

* Make sure you have the latest Driver Updates - it is always worth checking, even if you updated a month ago
* Turn off Normal Mapped Terrain & Point Light Shadows. (I found this to really increase my fps)
* Try reducing your Shadows to 'Low'
* Reduce Texture Resolutions to 'Medium'
* Texture minification / magnification / mip map all set to 'Point'
* Max texture Anisotropy (god knows what this actually is) is set to 'Low'
* Number of lights is set to 4
* Water Reflection/Retraction is set to 'Off' (This will make a huge difference on performance!)
* If you have XFire turn it off.
* Turn off any Anti-virus/Spyware

This list will hopefully help you, and depending on your graphics card you may not need to do all of these things, so experiment folks. This list will be updated as and when we find the information floating about on the Bioware boards. If you're feeling dead grumpy with this seeming endless list of 'to dos' just to play a game, hop on over here and cheer yourself up...you are not alone!

Old 11-09-2006, 03:09 AM   #65
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Memnoch: You've probably figured it out already by now, but to add a class ability to the quickbar, you have th go to the Feats tab of the Character screen, and then click and drag the icon. Hope it helps
Old 11-09-2006, 06:38 AM   #66
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum:
Memnoch: You've probably figured it out already by now, but to add a class ability to the quickbar, you have th go to the Feats tab of the Character screen, and then click and drag the icon. Hope it helps
Yes, Sperov told me that if I had bothered to read the manual, I'd have known that. Thanks for the help anyway.

Old 11-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #67
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

I must be one of the lucky ones. I have not had any problems running it. I did shut off the water reflections and shadows based on previous posts here and on the Bioware site. It is pretty enjoyable so far. Running a straight monk ( might dual him with a dualist ) don't know yet.
I do think it is VERY annoying that you have to shift click to get the option to bash a trunk or door. I would be nice if that was a right click option. I also miss pressing tab to find chest or drops etc.
Does any one know of a way to get the bad guys to automatically shoe their health? It is a little confusing to have to right click then left click to see what damage is done.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:19 AM   #68
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Instead of pressing TAB, press Z.

I haven't worked out how to show bad guys' health.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #69
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

Thanks. I reread the manual after my post and I saw on the last page the keyboard. I know the how to drag feat but I cant drag an unarmed combat to the quick bar. Its hard to switch between a bow and unarmed combat.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:43 PM   #70
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

To do that you need to unequip the item (right click on the quickbar and select unequip). It's a bit unwieldy, but hopefully one of the things they can fix quickly in a patch.