Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 08-03-2007, 06:33 AM   #21
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

It's certainly way up there when it comes to the core of role-playing: building your character and it having meaningful impact on the world. Every choice you make, whether it be made on stat-purposes or playing your personality-purposes, has some smaller of bigger impact on the world.

There are precious few other games where you can find this, but as far as I know, Fallout is the only one with enjoyable combat.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #22
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
It's certainly way up there when it comes to the core of role-playing: building your character and it having meaningful impact on the world. Every choice you make, whether it be made on stat-purposes or playing your personality-purposes, has some smaller of bigger impact on the world.

There are precious few other games where you can find this, but as far as I know, Fallout is the only one with enjoyable combat.
We can kiss all of that goodbye with Beth at the helm..
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #23
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Default Re: Fallout3

Level scaling!

Read in some interview a while back that they were going to ditch level-scaling and make a proper game out of it instead (that is, one where your level affected what challenges you could overcome, and thus made some sense, rather than one where all challenges were adjusted so that you could beat anything any time). Then in some preview I managed to get a bit interested in the combat system. Seemed like a game it might be I'd pick up.

Now, according to this, it will scale entire areas to match the level you are when you first enter them. Each area has a range of levels that it can't go outside, but it still sounds like it'll be silly broken and exploitable. First thing springing to mind is that you'll be in easymode if you make sure to visit as many areas as possible early in the game, "locking" them to their lowest possible level.

I really don't much enjoy buying games and then relying on modders to fix them :\

Edit: And in case it isn't entirely clear. By "ditch level-scaling", I mean removing it from the Oblivion engine. Not implying that there was such a thing in the earlier Fallouts.

Last edited by Gnarf; 08-21-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Gnarf is offline   Reply With Quote