Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2006, 06:34 AM   #1
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I'm looking for some good gear to protect my pc, however, out of principal, I only use freeware. So what are your recommendations?

I used to have AVG and ZoneAlarm, but I think ZA sucked, because it kept stinking up my windows and general connection to the internet. (wife couldn't share files via network) AVG is ok, but it's a bit...silent. I recently installed COMODO firewall, it any good?
Old 11-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I dont use freeware so I can't help you unfortunately.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I use Avast, and have had good success with it. I dropped ZA when I purchased a hardware firewall embedded in a router. I am told that a hardware firewall is always better than a software one. Still, I have the WindowsXP firewall enabled on top of that.
I've never heard of COMODO.
I agree that AVG is not for me either.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Jorath Calar
Harper

The dirty secret on firewalls... you don't need one... XP's firewall is all you need, using anything else on a homecomputer is like having the national guard looking after your house while you go on vacation... overkill. [img]smile.gif[/img]

just use your sense while browsing, a good antivirus (AVG or Avast are the best free ones) and run AdAware twice a week or so and you should be safe.

But thats just my opinion I could be wrong... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Far as free antivirus goes, I know of AVG, Avast and AntiVir. AntiVir's been the one doing best in whatever comparisions I've seen, so, that the one I'm using nowadays.

Never had a problem with ZoneAlarm, so can't suggest anything else there.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'll disagree with you on a hardware firewall being better than a software firewall, Larry, and rendering a software firewall useless.

A hardware firewall is great at keeping stuff out that's not supposed to be coming in.

However, it doesn't do as well with stuff that's already in, trying to get out.

If you get a trojan or something like that, your hardware firewall will probably not worry about it too much, and will let it through.

Plus, if one computer on your network gets infected with something (say, a game imported on a flash drive... something that one of your kids will do in a couple of years...), the hardware firewall will not protect any other computers on the network. It only protects from the outside world.

Or, more likely, you'll let someone use a computer (a parent, in-law, or other relative) who isn't computer-savvy, and they'll open one of those bad emails that they get... *poof!* Your protection goes up in smoke.

*edit* to clarify, it's not a question of one or the other, but using both. They address different things, and both are needed IMHO.

I use both... hardware and software. My hardware is a Linksys router. My software is ZoneAlarm. So far, so good... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Getting back to JrKASperov's questions, I don't have any problems with sharing files over our network. I have had to tell ZA about my home network and say that it's allowed, but that's it. I do the same thing with the shared printers and server, too... they have fixed IP addresses. Frankly, you *should* be getting questioned on communication with another machine unless you've okayed it.

Hmmm... and doing that might just eliminate the in-network protection I talked about above, except that your software firewall should register permissions for individual executables. So it's got to be an allowed program communicating to an allowed IP address.

My standard batch of protection:

Spybot S&D
Ad-Aware
AVG Anti-virus
ZoneAlarm
HiJack This (for serious cleaning only)

[ 11-26-2006, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

FYI, two of my favorite utilities to run these days are CCleaner and MRU Blaster.

http://www.ccleaner.com

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

[ 11-26-2006, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:02 AM   #8
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I use Sygate. There have been no visible symptoms of infection for several years.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:45 AM   #9
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
I dont use freeware so I can't help you unfortunately.
Why would you post, if you have nothing to say...?

I bought 2 copies of Norton Systemworks in the Spring and I'm kind of regretting it now. My wifes' PC is about 7 years old and used to run fine for her, until we put Norton in. Now it's very slow. It's very unfriendly as far as reducing the settings in order to increase performance. I can't believe a company that's so big would make software that's so lousy. I'm really thinking of taking it out of both PC's and doing to free thing also.

[ 11-26-2006, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 11-26-2006, 05:45 AM   #10
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
FYI, two of my favorite utilities to run these days are CCleaner...
Yeah that program is awesome for cleaning up all sorts of unneeded crap and registry issues. Got a bad installation of BGII? Scan the registry and fix it! I hate how windows always keeps some parts of installed programs in the registry. Also, ccleaner is handy for examining what's in your windows startup list. Don't like to startup Quicktime? Delete the entry!