Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2005, 05:25 AM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Hehehe, most people will think it is cruel, but I think that this is pretty damn funny....
As cruel as it is, Apple should have been alot smarter in the first place.

Quote:
Apple released the iPod in November 2001 but didn't file for a patent until the following July. At some point during that period Microsoft filed for patents on some of the iPod's technology. The US Patent Office has ruled that Microsoft has the right to charge Apple an $11 licensing fee for each iPod sold. The furious Apple said that they will appeal the decision. This disputes comes out only a few days after Microsoft announced that it is waging war on the iPod and will soon release a rival line of players. So far, 21 million iPods have been sold worldwide, 18 million in the last year alone. You do the Math.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

I find that hilarious. I'm not an iPod fan anyway... And that is just an amazing business call! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

MP3 for me...

Erm.. Thats a lot of money bill gates is about to recieve.

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
burnzey boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

In US patent law, you have up to a year to file the patent application from the time the invention is first proposed, discussed, or realized -- I don't know which one (Timber?).

I don't know exactly what the law covers regarding patents for the underlying technology... sounds like someone at Apple may have screwed up royally.

and yes, I'd be glad to take $11 per iPod. Heck, I'll be satisfied with just $1 apiece...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:30 AM   #5
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

If you can patent something that has been in the stores for months, I'd say there's something wrong with the patent laws.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:51 AM   #6
mad=dog

Initially you don't take a patent. You apply and there is a period where it can be contested. Microsoft cannot charge a per capita "license" for units already sold. They will have to justify that their patented technology was used and then they can be awarded a compensation in case it is ruled in their favour. This amount should technically reflect Microsofts loss, but it is often far less - it will hardly be 11$ pr unit. Such a case will usually take years before it reaches a conclusion - by that time it can hardly be an issue anymore. This is the way Microsoft themselves have managed to use their competitors technology. Basically stealing patented stuff is way too easy as it is rarely cost-effecient to defend your patent.
So. If MS decides to go forward and launch a 5 million suit they may, just may get 11 million in five years. I will take a bet that nothing comes out of it.

[ 09-30-2005, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: mad=dog ]
Old 09-30-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
Hehehe, most people will think it is cruel, but I think that this is pretty damn funny....
As cruel as it is, Apple should have been alot smarter in the first place.
It has nothing to do with how smart Apple is, or how cruel MS is. It has entirely to do with one little thing: prior art. What MS did isn't cruel to Apple - or atleast, it is but that doesn't matter - it's bad for the people for whom patents exist (ie, all of society) (because MS clearly wouldn't know all the ins and outs of the invention, and so the patent couldn't be very detailed). Thankfully, there might be some chance yet.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote