Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-17-2004, 10:49 AM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

A whole new perspective of online gameing detective.

based on CNN.com

Quote:
Find 'Missing' clues on Web sites, e-mail

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Missing: Since January" is a fresh adventure that uses the Internet and e-mail to make some of its game play more realistic and intriguing

When playing the game, which loads from CD-ROM, you assume the role of an investigator who has been charged with unraveling the disappearance of photojournalist Jack Lorski and female companion Karen while the pair was researching a string of serial killings.

The only lead you have is some video footage sent to Lorski's employer, SKL Network, by The Phoenix, the mysterious murderer who holds the key to finding the missing journalists.

After analyzing the video, you must gather more clues by cracking word puzzles, analyzing video clips, scouring more than 300 actual and fictitious Web sites and by following instructions sent in e-mail messages from virtual characters, including The Phoenix himself.

Receiving and reading e-mail and surfing the Net takes place outside of the game, using your own e-mail address and Web browser. While this helps immerse you in the game, it also means you'll need an Internet connection to play.

Illusion of 'outside' help
As an example, someone by the name of Kristin Lark will e-mail you early in the game. She writes: "I'm a history major at Indiana University. I'm currently on a study trip in France. I got your address from SKL Network and they offered me the chance of being your partner on the Jack Lorski case. The guy who made the CD is just so wacko! He's also got a thing for the esoteric. That's handy because that's what I'm majoring in! Check out my site -- www.salemwitchmystery.com -- and you'll see what I mean."

Virtual characters, such as Kristin, won't write back if you attempt to e-mail them, but the illusion of help "outside" the game is effective. The clues, such as those found on Kristin's Web site, will help solve The Phoenix's increasingly tough riddles, shed light on the motives behind the murders he commits and eventually will help you locate the kidnapped couple.

SKL's Web site is also an integral part of the game as it provides tools such as a Google search engine, a language translator and a notepad so players can jot down assorted clues.

Its disturbing videos -- which appear to be inspired by films such as "The Blair Witch Project" and "Seven" -- make a lasting impression. The actors' performances are convincing, and the moody music adds to the suspense.

All puzzles are not equal
When it comes to the game's puzzles, some are better than others. Challenges such as dragging video snippets into chronological sequence proved more enjoyable than the arcadelike tests cooked up by The Phoenix.

"Missing" isn't an easy mystery to solve, so players may consider downloading a free walk-through of the game, available at Web sites such as GameBoomers (www.gameboomers.com). Look for the game under its European title, "In Memoriam."

If "Missing" sounds familiar, that's because it's reminiscent of "Majestic," an online serial adventure from Electronic Arts. "Majestic" tried to immerse players by calling their cell phones and faxing them at home or work with cryptic clues. "Majestic," which required a monthly subscription to play, didn't find an audience and was eventually pulled.

"Missing"'s use of real-world technologies, such as e-mail, isn't nearly as ambitious as "Majestic"'s, and "Missing" doesn't have a monthly subscription, so it might succeed where its predecessor didn't.

Overall, this innovative blend of documents, puzzles, video clips, Web sites and e-mail messages makes for an eerily fascinating and unique game concept.
This actually makes use of emails and websites to play around in. How cool is that. Its like "Reality Gaming". Have any of you people heard of this?

Catch me if you can..
Old 07-17-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
LS0158
Zhentarim Guard

I think I heard of a mystery game that would call you and give you clues, as if the game was real, and someone was giving you clues as they found them. You could set it so you wouldn't get a call at 3 AM, which sounded helpful. Never heard anything else about it after I read about it. This could be it, if they changed the phone calls to emails.

I prefer everything to be in the game, and I wouldn't want to look through a list of 300 websites and find out which ones were real.

edit: I read the end of it, and that other one must have been what I was thinking of. I should probably read the whole thing before I post.

[ 07-17-2004, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: LS0158 ]
Old 07-17-2004, 01:26 PM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Oh wow, that sounds so cool! I must have this game...

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Sounds a lot like Majestic, Majestic was an earlier game that made use of mobile phones, emails and fax. Apparently it was a huge flop.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:04 AM   #5
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

the reason is because fax is rather expensive to communicate with. emails however is another story

Catch me if you can..
Old 07-18-2004, 08:51 AM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

The best game I've played so far was a bunch of click 'n play games on the internet where you had to watch the details very closely. I'll try and find them for ya [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2004, 08:54 AM   #7
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
the reason is because fax is rather expensive to communicate with. emails however is another story
Actually according to many it was a failure because the game was predictable and the puzzles were far too simple, hopefully the same mistake won't be made with this game.