Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-15-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I was wondering why I no longer get hunted and chewed on by mosquitos these days, all the while watching them devour my family in mass feeding frenzies. People had several thoughts on this, such as Estrogen is a mosquito attracter, C02, and sweat. Well...I can mow grass and sweat and pant, but no mosquitos bite me anymore. However, they swarm around me until my wife comes outside, then they attack her. So I was starting to believe that stuff. I am also told that they have blood preferences, but both of us are O+. I also hear that they are attracted to alcohol...and though my wife don't drink, she wears perfume.

So...then today I find This on the msn.com website about how mosquitos find their prey. They can smell food from 50km!!!!! That is like over 30 miles! They will even fly that entire distance to get at the food, and though rare, have been spotted in cold artic climates.

So...anybody else enjoying this rare benefit of watching everyone around you being eaten alive while you sit and watch with not a single nibble?
Old 07-15-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
Sythe
Ra

Damn you man, you're so lucky! *slaps mosquito on neck*

[ 07-15-2004, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Sythe ]
Old 07-16-2004, 01:18 AM   #3
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

They don't like me much either, but it seems to be a trade off.Spiders seem to love me.I think I'd rather have the skeeters tho can't tell you how creepy it is to be watching a scary movie with all the lights off and get bit.After that every few mins. your imagining another creepy crawly running across your skin.
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightful place as master of all I survey.

Play games win prizes completely free. http://teet.net/af/bd395b7216
So far I've won an 8gb ipod nano and an acer inspire netbook
Old 07-16-2004, 01:27 AM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

I'm reasonably immune. They don't go after me if there's any better targets around. It could also be that I don't swell up when bitten. I might be getting bit, but I generally don't notice.

We've also got some bylaws in my town against standing water; the West Nile virus scare is actually good for something...

That said, I can't stand the critters, ESPECIALLY when I want to sleep. That annoying whine as they circle the room just keeps me awake. I have to get up and swat all mosquitoes before I can fall asleep.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:06 AM   #5
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Get down on your knees and thank whatever divine power you pay homage to, Larry... That's what I would do.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:23 AM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Let's see, after like 6 years straight of having not been bitten by mosquitoes I finally get hit twice in the same night this past week.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 07-16-2004, 02:53 AM   #7
Black Baron
Red Wizard of Thay

I am 90% immune (When i sleep i am bitten. ). I developed a very usefull skill: slippers throwing. I can hit a mosquito from 2 meters with a slipper. Naturally i clean the blood stain from the wall, but it is worth it.

Kids attention, I have brought you something...

Don't pull that ring private!!
Old 07-16-2004, 03:45 AM   #8
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

thank goodness its winter here. no flies and misquitos for me for the next couple of months.

Catch me if you can..
Old 07-16-2004, 03:45 AM   #9
B_part
Quintesson

I am reasonably immune from mosquitoes as well, especially if there is some unlucky mosquito bait around - my mother, some of my friends. [img]graemlins/evillaughter1.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2004, 04:22 AM   #10
Jorath Calar
Harper

No mosquitos here... too cold. But the hornets are the size of a seagull ... well almost and damn they are mean.